Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546881 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16185 on: April 10, 2016, 03:07:28 am »

Are there any republicans among bayerz?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16186 on: April 10, 2016, 03:15:03 am »

I don't know about card-carrying but there are a few conservative Bay12 members.

I think I recall one or two people confessing to be a Republican ;P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16187 on: April 10, 2016, 04:19:46 am »

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:29:15 pm by penguinofhonor »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16188 on: April 10, 2016, 06:57:41 am »

Why do you presume that I want said change to be outside of the normal, legal, channels?

I dont.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16189 on: April 10, 2016, 07:03:23 am »

But it's not exactly democratic to agree to a set of rules (implicitly or explicitly) and then make major revisions. 
Um... yes, it is? If the population wants to change the rules, that's the whole point of democracy.

Democracy isn't the same as majoritarian, even when the majority is justified.
Well, representative democracy basically is. People vote for the person whose policies they like (ideally). Direct democracy, or running referendums, is exactly that. The majority wins a referendum. If that's not "majoritarian" I don't know what the hell majoritarian even means.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16190 on: April 10, 2016, 07:47:04 am »

When the majority favors making sodomy illegal but the constitution doesn't allow that discrimination, democracy is the supreme court overturning that ban.  The people agree to a constitution which allows for protections of the minority.  They agree to democracy, not majority rule.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16191 on: April 10, 2016, 08:43:05 am »

What? That's not what democracy means.
Democracy is further defined as (a:) "government by the people; especially : rule of the majority
That seems pretty straightforward, no?

Having an immutable constitution is therefore undemocratic because it disallows majority rule (in some cases). Whether or not this is a good thing is up for debate, but telling me that majority rule and democracy are completely different things is rather silly when the entire point of democracy is majority rule.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16192 on: April 10, 2016, 09:25:08 am »

Who said anything about an immutable constitution?

Democracy is more then voting.  Power derives from from the consent of the governed but there's always the issue of where you are drawing the line.  You are saying that one geographic areas majority counts as a democracy.  Well other geographic areas would disagree.  It's a natural distinction what with Puerto Rico being an natural one but it's still an arbitrary distinction.  If one included the whole country, there isn't a mandate. These issues are important.  What do you do when the post-Soviet block wants one thing, Georgia wants another, Ossetia wants something different from Georgia and South Ossetia wants something different from Ossetia?

I happen to think that Puerto Rico should have statehood by the way.  But we should see both sides of the argument.  At the end of the day you need to balance the concerns and it's hard to balance concerns that you refuse to acknowledge.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:28:01 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16193 on: April 10, 2016, 09:57:20 am »

Who said anything about an immutable constitution?
I was under the impression that the US constitution was immutable.

You are saying that one geographic areas majority counts as a democracy.  Well other geographic areas would disagree. ... At the end of the day you need to balance the concerns and it's hard to balance concerns that you refuse to acknowledge.
Uh... foreign relations? That's not democracy either. What? I swear your argument changes every time I address it.

If the decision in question is between two countries (or one country and an unintegrated territory, in this case), the democratic way is to have both countries run a referendum and go through with whatever they agree upon.
Obviously this is really inefficient so we just use an elected foreign minister or whatever to negotiate and then ratify it later, which is less democratic but 90% of the time the effects are small enough that it doesn't really matter that much.

In the Puerto Rico case, we know that they want to be integrated as a state. We don't really have a good handle on what the average American thinks, because apparently referendums are too hard to organise there. Which means the responsibility falls to the elected officials - Congress - who are refusing to address the issue. In other words, they're refusing to address the concerns of people they are called to represent.
Now you might argue that no, Congress doesn't represent Puerto Rico because Puerto Ricans don't get to vote. That makes the whole thing even more undemocratic. They're not getting representation because representation is denied to them, and representation is pretty darn important when it comes to a representative democracy.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:12:29 am by Orange Wizard »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16194 on: April 10, 2016, 10:01:51 am »

Georgia was a part of the soviet union.  Georgia did not want to be part of the Soviet Union.  Ossetia was part of Georgia.  Ossetia wants to be part of Russia (possibly, it's complicated).  South Ossetia is part of Ossetia.  South Ossetia wants to be part of Georgia (possibly, it's complicated).

One could no doubt go down further and further, at some point, a boundary has to be drawn and some majority is not going to get what they want.

My stance is that we should appreciate that democracy is a complicated, multi-faceted issue.  It's not changing the argument to show different aspects of that.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:03:27 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16196 on: April 10, 2016, 12:36:38 pm »

It repeats that old fallacy about a Chinese sell off of treasuries inevitably tanking the Dow.

Apparently the entire world missed the memo that China has started selling those bonds: http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/16/investing/us-debt-dumped-foreign-governments-china/
Meanwhile the stock markets have held steady.  So whoops :/

Although the dow probably would tank for other reasons.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:39:50 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16197 on: April 10, 2016, 12:53:59 pm »

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16198 on: April 10, 2016, 01:45:01 pm »

I happen to think that Puerto Rico should have statehood by the way.  But we should see both sides of the argument.  At the end of the day you need to balance the concerns and it's hard to balance concerns that you refuse to acknowledge.
Trusting Wikipedia, I think PR should have another referendum, one that actually includes all options. The option to develop their current relationship as a commonwealth rather than stay a territory, become independent, become an associated sovereign state with 'Murrica, or become an American state... The developed commonwealth idea was one that many people seemed to desire but was not included in the ballot, and a lot of people seemed to have augmented their ballot to reflect that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16199 on: April 10, 2016, 02:38:14 pm »

It does have the problem though that if there are 4 options, it's less likely any of them will be a majority.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 1342