Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547210 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16140 on: April 09, 2016, 06:07:09 pm »

Bing Bing Bong Bong
Thank you for not using Ad Block...

well this is awkward
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16141 on: April 09, 2016, 06:49:20 pm »

More of a Star Trek prime directive thing.

I think it's interesting to consider the context that the prime directive was invented in.  It was the height of the cold war and when there were still lingering remnants of colonial empires.  Not just like their influences but outright European rule in parts of Asia and Africa.  There had been a pro national self determination intellectual movement going on for decades but it was a very difficult idea to get going in practice.  The US had been big on the ideals of self determination but was now at the height of american involvement in Vietnam.  That background lead to Gene Roddenberry coming up with the prime directive as a radical reaction against the assumption that humanity would take imperial ambitions into the future.  Star Trek was always about the idea that humanity would get morally better and move away from greed.  The prime directive has no room for greed in it, it's a complete rejection of imperialist impulse.  The difficulty was living up to these hard standards.  That's how you get episodes like A Private Little War where the question is how do we minimize the damage that the big bad galaxy does to these primitive people.

The prime directive was the apex of liberalism when it was invented but since then, society has progressed.  The biggest problems that people face aren't the meddling influences of evil empires or cold war manipulations of outside powers.  Hong Kong didn't want to leave the British empire and China had to threaten war to keep the British from expanding the franchise before they left.  The Falkland islands overwhelmingly want to stay British.  Peurto Rico doesn't want independence, it wants to improve it's economic situation as part of the United States.  The neoliberal impulse is dangerous as always but the interaction is much more complex now.  That lead to what I think is the most interesting conversation in star trek.

The prime directive wouldn't be invented today.  It's a product of the final days of the era of nationalism when the right of national self determination was still being spread worldwide.  These days national self determination isn't really the problem, the problem is personal self determination.  It's a much thornier problem because you there isn't a clear line you can draw on a map and say it's "solved".  Back when Star Trek was first coming up with the prime directive the problems of national self determination were so big that you could blame limits on personal freedom on lack of it.  These days if anything the situation is reversed.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16142 on: April 09, 2016, 07:05:48 pm »

I've been watching TNG completely (instead of grabbing bits off tv when I was young) and one of the harshest episodes recently involved the prime directive.  In a nutshell, there were two worlds in a system, and the inhabitants of one needed a special medicine that only grew on the other.  Otherwise they grew pained, irritable, even aggressive.  Desperate to have more.  The world that provides it is a utopia living off the lucrative trade.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16143 on: April 09, 2016, 07:16:23 pm »

It's episodes like that which show how the prime directive has aged.  There are situations where "first do no harm" is the most important things but others where withholding medicine is inhumane.  The episode resorts to what is essentially a cop out, oh it just so happens that the ships are breaking down so you can not act and still see the change they need.  But that is just a chance to dodge the need to answer the question.  What if the ships weren't breaking down or wouldn't run out for another couple decades?  That is the real question.  And the answer in that episode is that the Federation would refuse to act unless it could rationalize it on a technicality.  But if a technicality could be found, they would intervene.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16144 on: April 09, 2016, 07:24:04 pm »

And even with that cop-out, Picard's decision dooms the planet to suffering which likely will result in deaths, and practically destroys any hope of diplomacy with either side.  Heck, those two sides likely go to war later!

All this over a principle.  Which is all fine and good if the principle is worthwhile, but this illustrates that "non-interference" is not always the *beneficial* route for either party.  I really doubt it is on average.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16145 on: April 09, 2016, 07:34:27 pm »

Spoiler: Nerd rant. (click to show/hide)

This guy makes a much better explanation of the bullshit inherent to the Prime Directive, as written in the series'.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16146 on: April 09, 2016, 07:46:01 pm »

Rolan: What was the name of that episode?

I'm doubting the Enterprise would even have the capability to cure an entire planet full of addicts in 2 weeks even if they replicated cureophan* or whatever as fast as they could. In other episodes with epidemics they had to deliver medicine from starbases or other planets iirc. Probably don't have sufficient medical replicators or w/e.

* I totally just made that up, and it does not sound star trek at all
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16147 on: April 09, 2016, 07:47:02 pm »

Wasn't a reason given that if they interfered they would be denying races the negative periods that had shaped the human race? If aliens had come and prevented several world wars then humans wouldn't have seen the terribleness of it and moved away from it. I suppose that works better if races have more than a single personality type across all members.

It's a bit like how in KOTORII Traya berates you for doing every little task people ask you to because you're denying them the experience of solving their own problems.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16148 on: April 09, 2016, 07:51:49 pm »

Wasn't a reason given that if they interfered they would be denying races the negative periods that had shaped the human race? If aliens had come and prevented several world wars then humans wouldn't have seen the terribleness of it and moved away from it.

You didn't personally live through the world wars.  You are unlikely to genocide because your grandparents lived through Ghandi and your parents lived through Martin Luther King.  It's not in your genetic code, it's something that other people told you about.

I would trade away the world wars for a lesson in alien history in a heartbeat.  We can learn from other peoples mistakes instead of our own.  Italian people aren't going to nuke Libya even though it wasn't the Italians dropping nukes on Hiroshima.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16149 on: April 09, 2016, 07:59:11 pm »

Well, not personally but it did effect several generations of people and shape a lot of policies between countries for at least the following century.
I think part of the Prime Directive was to avoid elevating alien races that weren't prepared for interacting with the wider galactic community.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16150 on: April 09, 2016, 08:03:00 pm »

Rolan: What was the name of that episode?

I'm doubting the Enterprise would even have the capability to cure an entire planet full of addicts in 2 weeks even if they replicated cureophan* or whatever as fast as they could. In other episodes with epidemics they had to deliver medicine from starbases or other planets iirc. Probably don't have sufficient medical replicators or w/e.

* I totally just made that up, and it does not sound star trek at all
Wow it was in season 1 actually??  Which started off very rocky, then got good in a weird way (that they kind evolved from).
S1E22, "Symbiosis".
I really thought it was in Season 4, or 5 (where I am) but no.
Also, Tasha Yar...  Seriously disturbing character.  In a good way.  And they revisit her a couple of times which is both cool and even more disturbing.

As for being able to provide help for a whole planet, ehhh...  Yeah the scale is significant, but the episode does show that a planetary dose of drug can be concentrated into that relatively small package.  Science fantasy.
She/they

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16151 on: April 09, 2016, 08:03:56 pm »

I think part of the Prime Directive was to avoid elevating alien races that weren't prepared for interacting with the wider galactic community.

Yes and that part totally makes sense.  You want to be prudent in your actions and it would be dangerous to both us and them to prematurely give them technology.  But the part is that they take that reasonable idea and take it to a zealous extreme.  They will withhold medicine from a dying race, they will leave people on a dying world where they are (until someone breaks the rules and they have a technicality to justify their actions).

It's based on the assumption that intervention never does good but we know that is bullshit.

Well, not personally but it did effect several generations of people and shape a lot of policies between countries for at least the following century.

It sure did but you only learned about it in school.  Schools can teach you about events no human has experienced like the big bang and extinction of the dinosaurs.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16152 on: April 09, 2016, 08:11:09 pm »

It sure did but you only learned about it in school.  Schools can teach you about events no human has experienced like the big bang and extinction of the dinosaurs.
Your grampa never told you stories from the war? Man, I've heard countless stories about the war - both about the fighting and about the situation back home -, about fleeing from the Russians in the winter of '44 (that one includes an apparently-frozen-to-death baby, by the way), throwing yourself down in the furrows of a field because the American planes overhead occasionally make a sport of hunting civilians... A good buddy of mine has a similar relationship to the US-Vietnamese war. And don't even get me started on the numerous war and holocaust memorials strewn all over the place. Stolpersteine deserve a special mention here, I think.

There's a difference between 'Someone did something like that at some point' and 'People like me did exactly this not too long ago, and I can still see the consequences in lots of places'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16153 on: April 09, 2016, 08:13:35 pm »

You are still talking about memetic exchanges.  And the primary memetic exchange is still school education.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16154 on: April 09, 2016, 08:15:46 pm »

Yeah, and there's a significant difference in the quality of the exchange between "This is what it might be like if it happened" and "This is what it was like when it happened".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1342