Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547921 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16110 on: April 08, 2016, 10:44:35 pm »

I could not be more okay with you thinking that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16111 on: April 08, 2016, 10:47:23 pm »

... so are we actually talking US politics at this point, or is wierd just going bugnuts again? Because the few seconds I just spent skimming over the last few pages is strongly pointing to the latter, and it'd be really nice if y'all would just take it to PM or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16112 on: April 08, 2016, 10:48:59 pm »

US foreign policy devolved into morality discussion devolved into semantics
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16113 on: April 08, 2016, 10:50:30 pm »

If by bugnuts, you mean my insisting that mainiac answer properly, while he flings ad hominems like a politician, then yes.

The irony of that  given the thread, should be worthy of at least a chortle.

It grew out of a philosophical dispute about weather or not drone bombings are justifiable. I still hold that they are not.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16114 on: April 08, 2016, 10:54:19 pm »

... so are we actually talking US politics at this point, or is wierd just going bugnuts again? Because the few seconds I just spent skimming over the last few pages is strongly pointing to the latter, and it'd be really nice if y'all would just take it to PM or somethin'.

You came in just at the end.  Ended with a laugh.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16115 on: April 08, 2016, 10:58:14 pm »

Mainiac and I disagree regularly.

I dont think either of us hold permanent emnity toward each other.

If he feels I am overly pedantic, he is at least partially justified.
Likewise, I feel I am partially justified for calling him on his prejudices.

So far, we have been able to kiss and make up.  I respect his intelligence, which is why I am aggressive with him.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16116 on: April 08, 2016, 11:36:17 pm »

I guess the WORD POLICE are here to take away my WORDS.

Yeah, I mean you.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16117 on: April 08, 2016, 11:54:10 pm »

What in the name of fuck has been going on in this thread?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16118 on: April 08, 2016, 11:59:29 pm »

What in the name of fuck has been going on in this thread?

H: Words, words, words.
P: What is the matter, my lord?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16119 on: April 09, 2016, 12:00:40 am »

Somebody seems to be upset, and somebody else has a raised eyebrow and a bemused expression.

Dunno what else.  Dont care.

So, about these recently declassified alien visitation reports... any takers?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #16120 on: April 09, 2016, 12:42:34 am »

Computer programmers used to be overwhelmingly female.

I wanted to address this point. The usual short version is that women programmed computers, and that men decided they wanted in later, thus pushing women out. Unfortunately, that doesn't gel with more detailed accounts of what happened.

http://womensenews.org/2012/03/women-were-first-computer-programmers/

Goldstine and von Neumann spelled out a six-step programming process: (1) conceptualize the problem mathematically and physically, (2) select a numerical algorithm, (3) do a numerical analysis to determine the precision requirements and evaluate potential problems with approximation errors, (4) determine scale factors so that the mathematical expressions stay within the fixed range of the computer throughout the computation, (5) do the dynamic analysis to understand how the machine will execute jumps and substitutions during the course of a computation, and (6) do the static coding.

The first five of these tasks were to be done by the "planner," who was typically the scientific user and overwhelmingly was frequently male; the sixth task was to be carried out by coders.

Coding was regarded as a "static" process by Goldstine and von Neumann -- one that involved writing out the steps of a computation in a form that could be read by the machine, such as punching cards, or in the case of the ENIAC, plugging in cables and setting up switches. Thus, there was a division of labor envisioned that gave the highest-skilled work to the high-status male scientists and the lowest-skilled work to the low-status female coders.

So you can already see that it's wasn't quite what most accounts would have you believe. Level 6 "coder" basically flicked switches and made punch cards. Now, this turned out to be a much more complex task than anyone expected, and the women developed considerable expertise in this sub-field. So they deserve recognition.

But what happened next was not envious men who wanted into the field and pushed women out of equivalent roles: what happened was a new generation of machines which didn't need the ENIAC-era "coders" at all. What was left was levels 1-5 of the process (what we would call software design), which had been disproportionately male right from the start. The women were specialized in hardware operation basically, so many of their jobs became completely obsolete due to next-gen hardware and punch card machines.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:47:49 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16121 on: April 09, 2016, 12:46:19 am »

So kinda like how women usually operated the telephone switchboard thingies?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16122 on: April 09, 2016, 12:49:35 am »

Yeah, women deserve more recognition for the complexities of manually operating the ENIAC-era computers, for sure. It was no mean feat, and it proves that women could cut it.

They hired the women as button pushers (job title "coders") with male scientists to write the actual programs. "Coder" then just meant to physically encode a program written by someone else (a man). This turned out to be much more complex than expected however, and the women became more like modern programmers, but this wasn't a preconceived notion, as you'd expect from hearing "programming used to be thought of as women's work". Even from the start it was expected that men would be the software designers.

i.e. there was never a point in history where anything we'd call "programming" (modern sense) was considered "women's work". That part is a myth. The fact that women did end up doing real programming on ENIAC, that's not a myth.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:06:40 am by Reelya »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16123 on: April 09, 2016, 12:52:15 am »

Yes, OW, but if those telephone operators all had math degrees, and actually fully understood all of the calculations involved because they'd be doing them by hand before they were assigned to this task. The fact that several of them went on to be figures in the software community afterward by way of inventing the programming languages we use today is a bit of a testament to how well they were suited to their jobs.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16124 on: April 09, 2016, 12:59:52 am »

My disabled (polio, both legs) granddad was a card-punching button-pusher.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 1342