Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545459 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #15870 on: April 03, 2016, 07:39:20 pm »

Like, seriously, this shit is a major problem.

Possibly not the highest priority either, because if we don't get our shit in gear and break down the positive-feedback-cycles we're environmentally fucked in thirty years, but hey.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: April 03, 2016, 07:44:24 pm »

It sounds like you're saying "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil."

🙉🙈🙊

Could we please not escalate into personal attacks?
While I don't agree with it, it's hardly a personal attack.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: April 03, 2016, 07:45:19 pm »

I would indeed consider that a valid thing to point out, as opposed to simply an insult.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15873 on: April 03, 2016, 07:54:54 pm »

The Panama Papers release is emminent. It's a breathtaking takedown of some of the biggest international names from every walk of life. The biggest money-laundering tax-fraud system in history. It's beautiful. Perhaps the highest fall from grace is the Icelandic PM, who took office vowing to fight corruption, only to be intimately tied to it.

They're released tonight. Curiously, no Americans have been accused yet, but I find that hard to imagine that there aren't some very big names involved. We'll see soon.

Anybody want to bet that Trump is on there? Of course though, Hillary might end up on there, who knows.

It is curious indeed that no Americans have been named yet. Saving the biggest bombs for last maybe.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15874 on: April 03, 2016, 08:04:24 pm »

Seems a bit vague at least, and probably disingenuous.  Amuys was hardly claiming that racism doesn't exist if we don't observe it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15875 on: April 03, 2016, 08:40:42 pm »

🙉🙈🙊
Why did the unicode consortium really think those monkeys needed to be in?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: April 03, 2016, 08:43:20 pm »

They included far stranger things.  I'm convinced they're just a bunch of geeks who somehow got control of a major standard, and went absolutely crazy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: April 03, 2016, 08:45:01 pm »

They included far stranger things.  I'm convinced they're just a bunch of geeks who somehow got control of a major standard, and went absolutely crazy.
You only think?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: April 03, 2016, 08:45:48 pm »

Oh crap Cruxador posts here. I really can't escape no matter where I go.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15879 on: April 03, 2016, 08:57:59 pm »

I mostly agree, but the lines between rich and poor people are, in some places (*cough* the South *cough*), the same as racial lines.
I take it you've never visited the South? Some of the worst examples of deep poverty you'll find in the country are in nearly 100% white rural communities in the South and Appalachia.

I'd actually posit an educated guess that the alignment of economic status and race is actually stronger in the North and West Coast because of the higher degree of urbanization and greater significance of ghettoization and the urban/suburban divide on demographic-based measures. In the South I'd say you're probably more likely to find poor people of all races. This has been the case for pretty much the entire history of the U.S. since racial correlation with economic class became relevant (due to the end of slavery). Remember that a great deal of support for slavery in the U.S. came from whites who were too poor to own a single slave, but who had been suckered into the capitalistic delusion that if they worked hard enough they'd be able to do so one day.

In the North and West Coast you don't have nearly the same quantity of poor, rural, and predominantly white communities scattered all over the place. Try going into a coal town in eastern Kentucky or West Virginia and tell us that poverty in the South follows racial lines.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: April 03, 2016, 09:00:23 pm »

🙉🙈🙊

ahahahaha

Really though, this conversation is just a very mild, slow-burning train wreck. Amuys' claims are vague and disjointed, everyone else is dismissive and anecdotal. Not much meaningful information appears to be being exchanged.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15881 on: April 03, 2016, 09:05:10 pm »

Quoting in reverse order, without context, to give a misleading impression? I'm shocked and appalled.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15882 on: April 03, 2016, 09:07:21 pm »

🙉🙈🙊

ahahahaha

Really though, this conversation is just a very mild, slow-burning train wreck. Amuys' claims are vague and disjointed, everyone else is dismissive and anecdotal. Not much meaningful information appears to be being exchanged.
Well aren't you comfy, sitting on that couch of yours and alternating between sipping chai from a champagne flute and taking rips from a giant novelty bong.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: April 03, 2016, 09:15:09 pm »

In case you were wondering if there was another way police departments make budget besides taking people's stuff and selling it, and ticketing people excessively, if you haven't heard of this before, here's another way they make money from those who can't really afford it:
http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBr6M02?a=1&m=EN-US which redirects to:
http://www.ibtimes.com/how-prison-phone-calls-became-tax-poor-2342043?ft=95p2z

(I don't know if they might have a paywall that deactivates based on the source)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #15884 on: April 03, 2016, 09:15:32 pm »

Have you actually missed that a great heaping of the recent uproars have been explicitly because stuff's been going beyond words and not getting punished by law? Because that's kinda' been a major theme.

From my perspective the recent uproar came about because a group ostensibly formed to prevent police brutality formed after an incident where a dude fresh from an armed robbery charged cops and then received the logical result of charging cops. Said group nigh-immediately decided to just be a hate group instead, blaming whitey for all the worlds problems. Whitey didn't like being blamed for literally all the problems ever, things escalated and now we have the current uproar.

This isn't to say that things are fair, or that there shouldn't be an uproar, but personally the recent surge feels like its mad at the totally wrong things.

It's like someone's sawing off your leg but you're just SO MAD AT THAT GODDAMN HANGNAIL OVER THERE that you don't even bother complaining about it.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1342