Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547108 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15660 on: March 28, 2016, 10:07:19 am »

John Kasich needs 2000% of the remaining delegates to win. And he is mad at cruz for not letting him win anything.

2000% is an overexaggeration, but yeah, he needs more than the total left in order to win.

I'm wondering when he is going to run out of cash, though his campaign just seems to be lurching from moment to moment.

He's the last establishment man standing. There's a very good reason for the establishment to keep its hat in the ring even if it knows it probably can't win: if Kasich drops, the establishment/moderate faction will see it as total loss of the party to insurgents. That'll fuel talk of a third-party GOP run months before the convention even gets underway, and the last thing the GOP establishment wants right now is more fractiousness.

If that rule from 2012 still stands, Kasich won't even be eligible for nomination. Sure, he might grab a few more states, but he has all of ONE state right now.

They could change the rule, yes, but doing so puts the establishment at very high risk of looking like they're trying to game the system.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:09:49 am by smjjames »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15661 on: March 28, 2016, 10:26:21 am »

Spoiler: kasich strategy (click to show/hide)

my favorite part is to the right of Kasich: 1237 delegates, 143+0=1430  :P
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15662 on: March 28, 2016, 10:41:32 am »

I was looking through news articles yesterday and saw "Trump: Cruz's campaign bought rights to GQ photo - The Hill"
And I was really irritated. Why even report his obviously false claims as news? Will we soon be seeing "Trump: Hillary is the antichrist - The Hill" and so forth?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/03/27/lets-uproot-the-pernicious-unproven-claim-that-ted-cruz-attacked-donald-trumps-wife/
Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Donald Trump doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. Donald Trump is undertaking a systematic effort to change this country, to make America more like the rest of the world.

From Russia with love: why the Kremlin backs Trump

This one is a tabloid: It claims that Hillary is basically stealing the primary election, but rather than making me dislike Hillary more, it gives me the impression that Hillary is the kind of person who plays to win (and anyone upset that she's violating 'rules' is just not playing on her level).

(Trump, I think, is similar - he's in it for the challenge, and winning, but his approach is completely different.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15663 on: March 28, 2016, 10:42:34 am »

He's the last establishment man standing.

Yeah, he has motivation in this beyond ego.  There is very little incentive for him to want Cruz to triumph over Trump.  Right now predictwise has a 6% chance for Kasich to win (from a contested convention) or for Ryan to win.  For Kasich both of those outcomes are preferable to both Cruz and Trump winning.  So him dropping out is giving up an 8% chance of something he actually wants to get an improved chance of something he doesn't want very much.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15664 on: March 28, 2016, 12:28:20 pm »

Well, well, well, Secret Service is having the final word on that petition: http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/274473-secret-service-no-guns-in-convention

Pretty sure that petition is a troll by whoever made it anyhow.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15665 on: March 28, 2016, 12:45:39 pm »

Killjoys.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15666 on: March 28, 2016, 01:52:26 pm »

Something going on at the Capitol, something about shots fired, seeing it on the politico twitter stream.....

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15667 on: March 28, 2016, 01:58:47 pm »

News rags seem to think it's pretty minor.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15668 on: March 28, 2016, 02:01:48 pm »

News rags seem to think it's pretty minor.

With the little info to go on, yeah, it sounds sort of like the usual x shoots y urban violence, but still, the candidates are going to make as big a mountain as possible out of this. Also read somewhere that the shooter was down. Capitol is on lockdown as precaution anyway.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-washington-capitol-idUSKCN0WU1L3

Edit: Apparently shooter caught and only one minor injury to an officer. It seems like an overreaction with how minor it is, but, you knwo.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:03:42 pm by smjjames »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15670 on: March 28, 2016, 02:05:11 pm »

I thought something like this happens 20 times a year.  Those anti car bomb roadblocks, gun detectors and fortified underground evacuation points aren't for show...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15671 on: March 28, 2016, 02:10:33 pm »

I thought something like this happens 20 times a year.  Those anti car bomb roadblocks, gun detectors and fortified underground evacuation points aren't for show...

They do have drills, and apparently they had one earlier this morning. Anyway, a couple sources only say one person injured (nothing about the shooter).

It's guaranteed that the republicans will make as big a mountain as possible over this even if it's rather minor. Though a security breach is still a breach.

edit: The situation is basically concluded looks like. We'll get more answers later on I guess. Sounds like it could have been one of those domestic violence sort of things.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:40:23 pm by smjjames »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15673 on: March 28, 2016, 05:02:16 pm »

Turns out that it was some nutter known to Capitol police who tried to get through a metal detector with a gun. Everything worked the way it was supposed to, except maybe the monitoring of the guy.

Here for your consideration.

I've also seen politifact/other fact checker data comparisons with Sanders and Trump. Clinton and Sanders have similar ratios of true to pants-on-fire (though Sanders has more 'mostly true' than Clinton) while Trump is a negative image of the ratio Clinton has.

Yes Clinton is a panderer and flip flopper, but so are other politicians.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15674 on: March 28, 2016, 05:03:52 pm »

Thaaaats politics!

(And the paparazzi media culture)

Can we get back to candidates Environmental policies rather than the Who's A Liar wheel of fortune?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 ... 1342