Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549847 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15285 on: March 23, 2016, 10:42:44 am »

Jeb! has endorsed Cruz.

Kasich has got to be thinking "Man, fuck the GOP..."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15286 on: March 23, 2016, 01:11:05 pm »

If I were Cruz I'd reject his endorsement, lol.

E:
Our Vulcan-in-chief is making me feel proud he's our President:

P.S. I cut out all the argentina stuff, so if you're interested in that click through to the article - or if it's hard to read the tiny quote text :(.

“The notion that we should have surveillance of neighborhoods where Muslims are present — I just left a country that engages in that kind of neighborhood surveillance,” Obama said of his stop in Cuba before arriving in Argentina.

Referring to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), who called Tuesday for law enforcement to “patrol and secure Muslim neighborhoods,” the president noted that Cruz’s father fled Cuba for the United States. “The notion that we would start down that slippery slope makes no sense,” Obama said. “It’s contrary to who we are, and it’s not going to help us defeat ISIL.”

ISIL is one of the acronyms for the Islamic State.

As he has after past terrorist attacks, including in Paris and San Bernardino, Calif., Obama insisted that his strategy on the battlefield against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria is showing slow but steady gains, and he cautioned against an overreaction to the attacks in Brussels.

“As our strategy evolves and we see additional opportunities, we will go after them,” Obama said, referring to the Islamic State in his joint news conference with Argentine President Mauricio Macri. “But what we won’t do and should not do is take approaches that are going to be counterproductive. When I hear someone say we should carpet-bomb Iraq or Syria, not only is that inhumane, not only is that contrary to our values, that would likely be an extraordinary mechanism for ISIL to recruit more people willing to die and explode bombs in an airport or in a metro station. That’s not a smart strategy.”

The administration’s approach has focused on airstrikes against Islamic State targets, U.S. assistance for Iraqi troops and Syrian opposition forces, disruptions of terrorist financial networks and a small number of U.S. Special Operations forces in Syria.

But Obama emphasized that the fight against the terrorists is complicated by the challenge of “identifying very small groups of people willing to die themselves and willing to walk into a crowd and detonate a bomb.”

Though he again insisted Wednesday that the Islamic State is not an “existential threat” to the United States — “they can’t destroy us, they can’t defeat us, they don’t produce anything” — Obama was mindful to offer empathy to Americans who are fearful in the wake of the gruesome killings at the Brussels airport and a subway station.

“Our hearts bleed. These could be our children, these could be our family members or our friends or our coworkers,” the president said. “And it scares the American people and it horrifies me. I have two young daughters . . . and I want them to have the freedom to move and travel around the world without the possibility that they’d be killed. I understand why this is the top priority of the American people and I want them to understand this is my top priority as well.”

But he cautioned that “we will not do things that are counter-productive simply because it’s political season. We’re going to be steady; we’re going to be resolute; and ultimately we’re going to be successful.”

“One of the great strengths of the United States, and part of the reason why we have not seen more attacks in the United States, is we have an extraordinarily successful, patriotic, integrated Muslim American community,” Obama said. They do not feel ghettoized. They do not feel isolated. Their children are our children’s friends going to the same schools.”

Asked whether it was inappropriate for him to attend a baseball game in Havana on Tuesday between the Cuban national team and the Tampa Rays, Obama said that the goal of terrorists, in addition to killing people, is to strike fear into society and disrupt people’s routines.

“It is very important for us to not respond with fear,” Obama said. “A lot of it is also going to be to say, ‘You do not have power over us. We are strong. Our values are right. You offer nothing except death.’”
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:38:00 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15287 on: March 23, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »

Arizona seems to have had some trouble with their primary.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/03/22/live-arizona-primary-coverage-presidential-preference-election/82096726/
http://usuncut.com/news/arizona-polling-disaster/
Among other problems, their most populous county had very few polling stations per person, while their second most populous county had 8x more polling stations per eligible voter.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15288 on: March 23, 2016, 03:13:10 pm »

Wondering if anyone will sue to have Arizona's results tossed out (or at least Maricopa County's) and force them to have a second primary with more polling stations.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15289 on: March 23, 2016, 03:17:51 pm »

Arizona seems to have had some trouble with their primary.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/03/22/live-arizona-primary-coverage-presidential-preference-election/82096726/
http://usuncut.com/news/arizona-polling-disaster/
Among other problems, their most populous county had very few polling stations per person, while their second most populous county had 8x more polling stations per eligible voter.

Link to CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/politics/arizona-voting-suppression/index.html since I saw last night some people bashing the usuncut link, don't know what's bad about that source (other than maybe liberal bias or something) or what peoples opinions here are on it. But the facts are still the same. I also saw on the 538 liveblog someone from Cococino county complaining about the same problems, so, it's not just Maricopa.

Wondering if anyone will sue to have Arizona's results tossed out (or at least Maricopa County's) and force them to have a second primary with more polling stations.

I saw some mentions about democrats making a lawsuit, so, probably....

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15290 on: March 23, 2016, 03:18:58 pm »

They're making a formal inquiry. Prelude to a lawsuit but not one yet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15291 on: March 23, 2016, 03:41:10 pm »

Um, WTF, Trump says he could use nuclear weapons against ISIS.... He is either just ramping the rhetoric up to 9000 and pandering to the 'lets just nuke/glass them' crowd or he is truly mad.

edit: It was during the WaPo interview, so, he could very well be BS'ng.

http://fortune.com/2016/03/23/trump-nuclear-weapons-isis/

http://www.weeklystandard.com/trump-nukes-question-about-isis/article/2001680

He COULD be confused on the tactical nuke thing and think that they aren't the mushroom cloud nukes and are just something like depleted uranium, but still.......

Also best way to start WWIII........

OR he wants to make them think that we could use them, don't know how he is going to go about doing that.

You know what, if it comes down to Trump and Clinton, I'm going to vote Clinton, her faults and problems and truth issues be damned, that way I can at least have some peace of mind that I tried to help stop Trump if he does become president.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:54:19 pm by smjjames »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15292 on: March 23, 2016, 03:53:54 pm »

> might think they are depleted uranium

Huh? Impossible, nobody could be that stupid. DU can't undergo fission, it's depleted. It can't be used as an explosive. It'd be like dropping a lead cannonball from a bomber and expecting it to wipe out an army.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15293 on: March 23, 2016, 03:56:04 pm »

Huh? Impossible, nobody could be that stupid. DU can't undergo fission, it's depleted. It can't be used as an explosive. It'd be like dropping a lead cannonball from a bomber and expecting it to wipe out an army.

Does Trump look like a particularily smart person to you? Yes he'd have to have SOME smarts to be successful the way he is, but still.....

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15294 on: March 23, 2016, 04:09:29 pm »

Does Trump look like a particularily smart person to you? Yes he'd have to have SOME smarts to be successful the way he is, but still.....

Relevant:

Well, sure, if you define "smartness" as "the ability to accrue money" than that's just a definition.
The Trump factor

MO MONEY MO WISDOM

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15295 on: March 23, 2016, 04:14:45 pm »

If the ability to accrue money makes a person smart, Trump was a super genius the exact moment he inherited and then had an IQ of 60 for the entire rest of his life.

Or I guess negative intelligence?  Does losing money make you negative intelligent in this alternate universe, or just low intelligence?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15296 on: March 23, 2016, 04:22:51 pm »

You drop a lead cannonball fast enough and it can totally wipe out an army, even without California style second order effects.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15297 on: March 23, 2016, 04:29:37 pm »

You drop a lead cannonball fast enough and it can totally wipe out an army, even without California style second order effects.

California style second order effects? I googled and I get that 'second order effects' has to do with cause and effect, but 'california style' comes up blank.

And yeah, if you drop (or rather, deorbit) something from high up enough and it's going fast enough and has the mass (and assuming it doesn't disintegrate on the way down), it's going to make a crater, that's just physics.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15298 on: March 23, 2016, 04:33:20 pm »

All the cancer that a the State of California would suspect as a result of the lead cannonball under their Proposition 65 law.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15299 on: March 23, 2016, 04:35:32 pm »

I wonder exactly how fast a cannonball would have to be moving to wipe out all life on Earth. 0.3%c?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 1342