Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546199 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15210 on: March 22, 2016, 12:31:08 pm »

I've got a really cool idea. What if we notionally did that? No mess at all.

Notionally?

So someone made the call earlier on that a major terrorist attack would benefit Trump immensely.  Any signs yet that he's capitalizing on it?

Yeah, I've seen that in a few places, but even an attack in Europe would still have an effect. He has already started trying to capitalize on it, but it's too early to see if theres any effect in the voting.

It'll probably be too late to have a major impact on the Arizona primary, but it could certainly have an impact in Utah.

Also Cruz takes a Trumpesque route and calls for patrols of Muslin neighborhoods. Wouldn't the patrols themselves also have a risk of alienating and radicalizing people? Not sure how the patrols themselves would stop radicalization in the first place.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15211 on: March 22, 2016, 12:34:43 pm »

Really? I work for a bona fide multinational, and they haven't even made a comment on it yet, nor is there anything on our internal website.

Hell, I had a conference call with some Dutch folks this morning and I didn't even know anything had happened until after the call when I was checking morning news.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #15212 on: March 22, 2016, 12:42:47 pm »

Also Cruz takes a Trumpesque route and calls for patrols of Muslin neighborhoods. Wouldn't the patrols themselves also have a risk of alienating and radicalizing people? Not sure how the patrols themselves would stop radicalization in the first place.
Same article also quotes him saying America needs to secure the "Southern Border". So I guess Mexico is now supplying the US Islamic terrorists as well. Mexico seems to rapidly turned into a place which has it's main exports be everything unamerican going by what the GOP seems to be saying.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #15213 on: March 22, 2016, 12:45:15 pm »

Trump has an interview with WaPo's editorial board. Warning: it's almost unreadable from the stupidity, so pour yourself a double before reading.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15215 on: March 22, 2016, 12:54:36 pm »

Same article also quotes him saying America needs to secure the "Southern Border". So I guess Mexico is now supplying the US Islamic terrorists as well. Mexico seems to rapidly turned into a place which has it's main exports be everything unamerican going by what the GOP seems to be saying.

The whole 'secure the US-Mexico border' rhetoric is nothing new, the republicans have been saying that for a while, even some democrats say it. The two parties just differ in how to secure it.

Of course though, nobody has really given any detailed plans or proposals beyond Trumps wall.

Trump on Brussels

It's the same rhetoric that he has given before.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15216 on: March 22, 2016, 12:57:35 pm »

I love it. It's just the right message of dog wihstling, while being technically nothing you can't defend. (I mean, law enforcement already patrols and police Muslims neighbourhoods just like any other neighbourhood).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15217 on: March 22, 2016, 01:00:15 pm »

I love it. It's just the right message of dog wihstling, while being technically nothing you can't defend. (I mean, law enforcement already patrols and police Muslims neighbourhoods just like any other neighbourhood).

I figured he meant heavier patrolling of such neighborhoods, but yeah it's definetly the right message as in right-wing.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15218 on: March 22, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »

I've got a really cool idea. What if we notionally did that? No mess at all.

Notionally?

"As of today, all the Middle East is declared to be a prison and everyone there shall be prisoners. As prison keeping is outside the authority of the military, no troops will be used. As extra-territorial possessions are not the purview of States, no State will have any personnel. At this time, we will trust the Middle East to guard themselves."
Even the avatars expire eventually.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15219 on: March 22, 2016, 01:44:41 pm »

That works great... until such time that any of them ever enter your country, in which case as prisoners you would be required to detain them somehow.

(Also it would piss off a whole lot of people and be widely regarded as a bad move. :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15220 on: March 22, 2016, 01:49:37 pm »

Huh....that's more or less what Trump has been proposing. Maybe he's an idiot savant.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15221 on: March 22, 2016, 02:09:57 pm »

That works great... until such time that any of them ever enter your country, in which case as prisoners you would be required to detain them somehow.

(Also it would piss off a whole lot of people and be widely regarded as a bad move. :P)

Hey, to become non-interventionist, I can deal with pissing some people off.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15222 on: March 22, 2016, 02:18:06 pm »

That doesn't actually make us non-interventionist though.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15223 on: March 22, 2016, 02:32:21 pm »

Huh....that's more or less what Trump has been proposing. Maybe he's an idiot savant.
I think Trump's policy is more along the lines of "As of today, all the World is declared to be a prison and everyone there shall be prisoners – except Real Trump-voting Murrica, of course."

So someone made the call earlier on that a major terrorist attack would benefit Trump immensely.  Any signs yet that he's capitalizing on it?
Each and every piece of bad news will benefit Trump immensely because his voters don't give a shit about the reality beyond media.

"Someting Bad Happens Somewhere" ---> "CLOSE MEXICAN BORDER REMOVE ILLEGAL MEXICAN MUSLIM IMMIGRANT TERRORIST FROM THE PREMISES"

The only way to destroy Trump is to destroy the media, and that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15224 on: March 22, 2016, 02:36:37 pm »

The only way to destroy Trump is to destroy the media, and that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Or he loses the election, stops being interesting and goes back to reality TV.  If he loses once, no one is going to give a shit about him the second time.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1342