Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546702 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15150 on: March 20, 2016, 04:43:47 pm »

Well I had to leave for 10 hours so brevity was the only choice available.  Culise has a pretty solid assessment.  I would just say one more thing though, the advice is perfectly general, not just related to this situation.  I think that Roleplaygeek had nothing but good intentions to insert himself into the conversation but the approach was flawed.

In political news, there was a poll out of Utah which showed Cruz with more then 50% of the vote.  If he gets more then 50% of the vote it's a winner take all state.  Kaisich was in second with 29% while trump was in third.  Given how low Trump polled and his high Utah unfavorables, if he gets the nomination, Utah would seem like an easy win for a republican third party challenger.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:00:19 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15151 on: March 20, 2016, 05:49:16 pm »

Except that a third party split would guarantee that the election would get thrown to Clinton.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15152 on: March 20, 2016, 05:51:46 pm »

That assumes that Bernie Sanders doesn't run third party. I don't think he would.... but nobody suspected that Trump would ever be the front-runner, let alone the nigh-inevitable primary winner.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15153 on: March 20, 2016, 06:08:23 pm »

I had that thought too (that maybe Sanders would run as Independent), but then I realized that by the time the convention comes around, the window for doing an independent run would have pretty much closed.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15154 on: March 20, 2016, 06:22:40 pm »

but...has anyone ever become a president by running independently? I just checked the wikipedia list of american presidents and unless im reading that wrong only one of them ran as independent and won and that was on his second term.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15155 on: March 20, 2016, 06:29:12 pm »

... so, what you're saying, is that the historical odds are more in their favor than they're in Clinton's, since there's been zero women presidents?

Also, obligatory xkcd :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15156 on: March 20, 2016, 06:33:13 pm »

... so, what you're saying, is that the historical odds are more in their favor than they're in Clinton's, since there's been zero women presidents?

Also, obligatory xkcd :P

Who said Clinton being a woman had anything to do with it? You're the only person in the last 6 posts who mentioned gender. Oh wait, nvm, I get it now.

Also, which president was it that ran as independent and won and that was on his second term?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:36:14 pm by smjjames »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: March 20, 2016, 06:35:44 pm »

Nevermind, he editted.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15158 on: March 20, 2016, 06:39:37 pm »

Lincoln ran as the first presidential candidate for two different parties, Republican and Unionist.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15159 on: March 20, 2016, 06:42:43 pm »

Lincoln ran as the first presidential candidate for two different parties, Republican and Unionist.

That was a rather special circumstance though.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15160 on: March 20, 2016, 06:50:45 pm »

Yeah but Trump will be an even better president.  I expect at least two civil wars.  And at least two assassinations.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15161 on: March 20, 2016, 06:53:13 pm »

I can't imagine Bernie would, but the Republicans who would rather throw the election to Hillary if it came to it...

Citation: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html?partner=msft_msn
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15162 on: March 20, 2016, 07:38:31 pm »

If they ran Cruz as a third party candidate but only put him on the ballot  in a few states, they could make it so that Trump can't win but possible that Clinton loses.  So for instance they would count on Cruz to win in Texas, Utah, Arizona, Kansas, Wyoming and Nebraska.

The 270 to win 3 party map doesn't let you share maps but you can play around with it here if you want:
http://www.270towin.com/2016-independent-third-party-electoral-map/

My take away is this.  If Cruz could win those five states, he would have 64 electoral votes.  That pretty much guarantees that Trump can't win.  Trump would need to win a state like Minnesota or Wisconsin in addition to every single swing state. (including places like Pennsylvania and Michigan not generally considered swing states.)  If neither Trump nor Clinton (or Sanders) won 270 electoral votes, the house of representatives picks the president.  And because of extreme gerrymandering 2010 edition, republicans are certain to control the house.

I wonder what Trump would have to say if this happened...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15163 on: March 20, 2016, 07:52:34 pm »

It could be worse than that actually: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/the-bizarre-130-year-old-law-that-could-determine-our-next-president-213645 (they're really just using Kasich as an example, it could be any governor).

It's also possible for both sides to not reach 270 without an independent intervening, just takes the right combination of states.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:57:19 pm by smjjames »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15164 on: March 20, 2016, 07:56:45 pm »

The problem is that Cruz (almost certainly) wouldn't win in any states if he ran as a third party. All he is likely to do is give any state he seriously runs in to Clinton even if he focuses all his efforts on those 5.
Even a state that consistently votes red by 15% points would either end up going to Trump (assuming that Cruz doesn't have enough effect to lose him the vote) or Clinton (as ~43% of the vote is worth more then the 30-35% that the Cruz would end up with even if he significantly beats Trump).

It would be a good strategy to ensure that Trump loses though.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1342