Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 999 1000 [1001] 1002 1003 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547994 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15000 on: March 18, 2016, 02:04:36 pm »

Measuring migration flows between Mexico and the U.S. is challenging because there are no official counts of how many Mexican immigrants enter and leave the U.S. each year.
Lel that's helpful
Wow, yeah, we should definitely avoid mentioning factors which make it more difficult to assess aspects of what we write about. Better just imply that we have good numbers and never actually say anything about it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15001 on: March 18, 2016, 02:19:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Measuring migration flows between Mexico and the U.S. is challenging because there are no official counts of how many Mexican immigrants enter and leave the U.S. each year.
Lel that's helpful
Wow, yeah, we should definitely avoid mentioning factors which make it more difficult to assess aspects of what we write about. Better just imply that we have good numbers and never actually say anything about it.
If you know of it and avoid mentioning it whilst pretending you have the numbers that's called dishonesty, lying and statistics

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #15002 on: March 18, 2016, 02:26:12 pm »

Saying you don't have official sources of information typically means government records so far as I know, since they're the authority on this. It doesn't mean the data is not there, but if the US government already deports Illegal immigrants, then finding and identifying them would mean there would be no illegal immigrants I think. You can still use statistical analysis to find this kind of stuff though in the same way steam spy does through random sampling and some extrapolation.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15003 on: March 18, 2016, 02:26:48 pm »

are we just descending to sex lies n' videotape?

are we?

and then i get fkin ninjaed
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15004 on: March 18, 2016, 02:30:57 pm »

Arab spring 2: Yankee boogaloo

I WILL BE SO MOIST IF THE CIVIL HAPPENING IS WRITTEN IN COMIC SANS

Also the MoveOn lads who did Chicago are Soros funded
Top lel

Democracyspring seems to be down right now, but they're funded by MoveOn

What a coincidence :P
Also worth mentioning as was said in yuropol thread as Soros has his hands in both pots either side of the pond is that he's just one man. Highly influential, immensely so, but just a cog in the even larger machine. Still, a useful marker ;)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15005 on: March 18, 2016, 02:41:22 pm »

To be completely clear, my argument was not about Border Patrol raping 80% of the women

Hey, somebody is doing the raping.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15006 on: March 18, 2016, 02:43:09 pm »

Lel that's helpful
If you know of it and avoid mentioning it whilst pretending you have the numbers that's called dishonesty, lying and statistics
But, they did explicitly mention it, which is where you got the quote. Then they say they're using the best available statistics from both governments.

What they said was "the data isn't perfect, but we have government estimates". So what is it that they "avoided mentioning", exactly? Seriously, if your only evidence of them "avoiding mentioning" something is a thing they literally just mentioned in the article itself, you're having a serious brain fart.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 02:47:01 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15007 on: March 18, 2016, 02:47:50 pm »

But, they did explicitly mention it, which is where you got the quote.
I know that, read what I was replying to

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15008 on: March 18, 2016, 02:53:25 pm »

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2015/11/appallingly-dishonest-pew-study-on-immigration-trend-from-mexico

If you want to say "that data doesn't cover 2015" then say "that data doesn't cover 2015".  Say it like it is, dont act like a nitpick overturns the entire premise.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15009 on: March 18, 2016, 03:00:18 pm »

Also, the pew research is based on what admittedly imperfect data governments release.

Whereas that conservative link uses data from a right-wing "think tank" with a massive anti-immigrant bias.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Center_for_Immigration_Studies

Many of the directors of the Center for Immigration Studies are also on the board of directors for overtly anti-immigrant organizations.

And the articles claims this:

The Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) has published another blockbuster report on immigration numbers, and their analysis foreshadows a troubling trend of growing illegal immigration

Whereas the actual report says this:

The number of immigrants in the United States is now enormous, but it must be recognized that most immigrants, including those from Latin America, are in the country legally. Absent a change in legal immigration policy, the immigrant population will continue to increase.

Well, there was an increase in legal immigration, but the numbers do not attempt to track illegal immigration in any way. That's not even a claim the anti-immigrant group who prepared the report try and make.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:14:40 pm by Reelya »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15010 on: March 18, 2016, 03:10:57 pm »

If you want to say "that data doesn't cover 2015" then say "that data doesn't cover 2015".  Say it like it is, dont act like a nitpick overturns the entire premise.

Except it does?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15011 on: March 18, 2016, 03:19:11 pm »

Not... really? Stuff like that only occasionally has major changes in pattern over the course of a single year -- '14 data is going to be about as good as '15 data, and the trend up to that point is going to be pretty solid to build a premise off of.

And so far as I'm aware, there's been no major changes indicative of a reversal, so the lack of '15 data probably isn't going to mean all that much. Mexican civil war's still about as bad, US isn't in much of a different place, most of the areas further south are about as as as they were (and no, that wasn't a typo or grammatical mistake)... so far as I can recall southland news, if anything the pressures to head back are marginally higher, on the net -- BRIC's a thing, and economic signs for those areas are... well, arguably better than they were a decade ago, anyway.

... also, when you're dealing with large scale statistics, especially with subjects as difficult to track as the one in question, you're almost always going to be lagging a year or two (or three, or...) behind. Doesn't make observations made off the data particularly wrong.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15012 on: March 18, 2016, 03:19:32 pm »

To be completely clear, my argument was not about Border Patrol raping 80% of the women

Hey, somebody is doing the raping.
And being a border cop is boring work.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15013 on: March 18, 2016, 03:28:34 pm »

I did a search for 'israel newspaper endorse trump' but found nothing. Well, I found http://www.mintpressnews.com/jewish-leaders-plan-boycott-donald-trump-aipac-encouraging-hate/214889/
"Yisrael Hayom" which is arguably the largest (or at least second largest) newspaper tends to write in a way that endorses trump. its not surprising, however, since the newspaper is considered to be funded entirely by a right-wing affiliated wealthy family. the newspaper is always being nicknamed "bibis newspaper" for its very unbalanced portrayal of netaniyahu in positive light.

on the other hand, "Yediot Ahronot" which is the other major newspaper, speaks of trump much like the center-left media in the usa does. however, since the majority of israelis are right-wing affiliated, they would endorse trump due to his stance on islam and such.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15014 on: March 18, 2016, 04:57:00 pm »

Except it does?

So your answer to the question of what to do if presented with a source is to deny the source and insist that a far less credible source is the truth.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 999 1000 [1001] 1002 1003 ... 1342