Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548748 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14820 on: March 16, 2016, 05:38:04 pm »

Found it, had to look in browser history because they don't have a live blog listing anymore:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/march-15-primaries-ohio-florida-results-presidential-election-2016/?#livepress-update-24462591

She may have meant that Trump fits into the 'unsuccessful presidency' profile.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14821 on: March 16, 2016, 05:39:38 pm »

what happens to rubio's delegates now?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14822 on: March 16, 2016, 05:39:57 pm »

It's not exactly a list, but I expect if elected Hillary would be a slightly less charismatic version of Obama, slightly more active on gun control and the culture war but balanced by being less able to reach an agreement (though for what it's worth I think she'd do better than Bernie on that front.) Her subordinates speak very poorly of her, but I don't know what kind of influence (or how much) the president has in the way the bureaucracy under the executive branch runs so while I consider it a mark against her I'm not sure how big it is. Her apparent dislike for the military is worrying, considering one of the main duties of the president is as commander in chief, but again I'm not sure how big a mark against her that actually is. I have similar misgivings about her ability to effectively deal with foreign leaders, or pretty much anyone she can't just bludgeon from a position of extreme strength.

Bernie Neural Network; Trump also.

Quote from: DeepLearnTheBern
@HillaryClinton Keep guns out of the hands of people who have no health insurance.

@realDonaldTrump is the only candidate up here who should not be able to buy guns in America.

Solid.

And most of the Trump tweets are basically indistinguishable from the genuine article, with choice quotes like:

The problem is that the greatest social program is a job. You know which is in serious trouble. We're being fair.

I go to Saudi Arabia, and we have @realDonaldTrump steaks. We don't negotiate anything. I'm really proud of my success.

we really do have people that are stupid.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14823 on: March 16, 2016, 05:41:33 pm »

@mainiac: That's just sad, man. So you can't name one thing that Clinton has said she would do if elected? I thought she had all these comprehensive plans and strategies.

I can name you a huge number of things she will try to accomplish.  Finish the medicaid expansion, minimum wage, equal pay, paid leave, banking reform as the high points off the top of my head.  However I can't tell you what she will accomplish because of Ecclesiastics 9:11 and the fact that republicans will control the house.

I'd consider it a win if most of the medicaid expansion got finished, the minimum wage got indexed, equal pay legislation got through and executive orders made up for the lack of bank reform legislation.  I dont think that's too crazy to expect.  But if the senate races turn out worse then expected or house republicans decide to go with more government shutdowns I wouldn't expect that much.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14824 on: March 16, 2016, 05:42:18 pm »

First, she'll have a patsy invade a friendly country. Second, she'll use the crisis to power her bid to become President. Third, she'll manipulate others into forming a hostile alliance, and use that to justify emergency powers. Fourth, she'll raise a vast army of clones unexpectedly, and after an assassination attempt, accept the Senate's conferral of the title of Empress...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14825 on: March 16, 2016, 05:43:31 pm »

Bernie Neural Network

47 million times better than any Republican candidate.

I believe it!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14826 on: March 16, 2016, 05:45:06 pm »

New York Post is a tabloid, unfortunately. I'm certainly open to the idea, but I don't listen to the Daily Mail whether they agree with my POV or not.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Post has been criticized since the beginning of Murdoch's ownership for sensationalism, blatant advocacy, and conservative bias. In 1980, the Columbia Journalism Review stated "the New York Post is no longer merely a journalistic problem. It is a social problem – a force for evil."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14827 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:55 pm »

Her subordinates speak very poorly of her,

Not only is nypost a tabloid, but it's a tabloid with British ownership. So you are taking tabloids which are famous for smears and british journalism which is famous for smears and combining them.

Oh, ninja'd.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14828 on: March 16, 2016, 05:47:25 pm »

It's not exactly a list, but I expect if elected Hillary would be a slightly less charismatic version of Obama, slightly more active on gun control and the culture war but balanced by being less able to reach an agreement (though for what it's worth I think she'd do better than Bernie on that front.) Her subordinates speak very poorly of her, but I don't know what kind of influence (or how much) the president has in the way the bureaucracy under the executive branch runs so while I consider it a mark against her I'm not sure how big it is. Her apparent dislike for the military is worrying, considering one of the main duties of the president is as commander in chief, but again I'm not sure how big a mark against her that actually is. I have similar misgivings about her ability to effectively deal with foreign leaders, or pretty much anyone she can't just bludgeon from a position of extreme strength.

Yeesh, that sounds like a hell of an iron fist, could put Thatchers Iron Lady nickname to shame.....

Wait, did I somehow have a clue onto something when I tried to compare her to Thatcher?

New York Post is a tabloid, unfortunately. I'm certainly open to the idea, but I don't listen to the Daily Mail whether they agree with my POV or not.

The Post has been criticized since the beginning of Murdoch's ownership for sensationalism, blatant advocacy, and conservative bias. In 1980, the Columbia Journalism Review stated "the New York Post is no longer merely a journalistic problem. It is a social problem – a force for evil."

Oh, it's a tabloid on par with Daily Mail, nvm then.

It did seem really overboard compared with her generally cheerful personality.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:49:00 pm by smjjames »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14829 on: March 16, 2016, 05:48:30 pm »

Not only is nypost a tabloid, but it's a tabloid with British ownership. So you are taking tabloids which are famous for smears and british journalism which is famous for smears and combining them.

Oh, ninja'd.

They're literally just pasting quotes from the guy's book though. Calling the New York Post liars I can understand, but Kessler is the source, not the Post.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14830 on: March 16, 2016, 05:50:47 pm »

[We need a wall around]   Donald "My net worth is many, many, many times Mitt Romney" Trump. I think that what American democracy is about. @DeepDrumpf @realDonaldTrump,

Can I vote for this bot to be memer-in-chief? Is that a thing I can do?

Oh, ninja'd.

They're literally just pasting quotes from the guy's book though. Calling the New York Post a liar I can understand, but Kessler is the source, not the Post.

The New York Post is famous for double entendre headlines. They always harassed my school and published all sorts of nonsense about it, and it became a thing to not talk to any Post people lurking outside out school after it let out for fear of letting them take your words out of context.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14831 on: March 16, 2016, 05:51:08 pm »

So, let me this straight....Bernie would be ineffective because he couldn't get anything through Congress, and that's his own fault.

Clinton won't be able to get anything through Congress because the Republicans control it (and very likely still will after November) and that's the Republicans' fault?

Seems legit.

So in the end, neither will be very effective, but dammit we have to vote for Clinton because pragmatism is better than idealism, regardless of similar outcomes (which sounds more like anti-pragmatism).

@Shadowlord: BUT WHO WAS JAR-JAR?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14832 on: March 16, 2016, 05:55:44 pm »

-quotesnip-
The New York Post is famous for double entendre headlines. They always harassed my school and published all sorts of nonsense about it, and it became a thing to not talk to any Post people lurking outside out school after it let out for fear of letting them take your words out of context.

Okay, they take things out of context. Tell me then, what is the true meaning behind these passages?

“Hillary was very rude to agents, and she didn’t appear to like law enforcement or the military,” former Secret Service agent Lloyd Bulman recalls. “She wouldn’t go over and meet military people or police officers, as most protectees do. She was just really rude to almost everybody. She’d act like she didn’t want you around, like you were beneath her.”
Within the White House, Hillary had a “standing rule that no one spoke to her when she was going from one location to another,” says former FBI agent Coy Copeland. “In fact, anyone who would see her coming would just step into the first available office.”
While running for US Senate, Hillary stopped at an upstate New York 4-H Club. As one Secret Service agent says, Hillary saw farmers and cows and then erupted. “She turned to a staffer and said, ‘What the f - - - did we come here for? There’s no money here.’ ”

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14833 on: March 16, 2016, 05:56:45 pm »

So, let me this straight....Bernie would be ineffective because he couldn't get anything through Congress, and that's his own fault.

No, Bernie will waste time with socialized healthcare legislation which anyone with access to wikipedia could do a whip count on and see it will never get passed.  After that he will move on to incremental legislation where he may or may not be completely obstructed.

Hillary Clinton will start with the incremental legislation where she may or may not be completely obstructed.

but dammit we have to vote for Clinton because pragmatism is better than idealism, regardless of similar outcomes (which sounds more like anti-pragmatism).

I wasn't giving a comprehensive explanation of the Clinton platform.  I was responding to the assertion that Clinton would be "glacial" which seemed to imply that it was her fault that republicans won the 2012 state elections and gerrymandered the fuck out of congress.

Tell me then, what is the true meaning behind these passages?

An ex secret service agent badmouthed Hillary Clinton for personal enjoyment and personal profit.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:00:47 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14834 on: March 16, 2016, 06:06:18 pm »

No, Bernie will waste time with socialized healthcare legislation which anyone with access to wikipedia could do a whip count on and see it will never get passed.  After that he will move on to incremental legislation where he may or may not be completely obstructed.

Hillary Clinton will start with the incremental legislation where she may or may not be completely obstructed.
Again, I'm not seeing much difference in the end result.

Let's tackle this differently, since we seem to agree than a Republican-controlled Congress will continue to obstruct a Democratic President, regardless of who it is.

Let's imagine for a glorious, rainbow-colored minute that a Trump ticket causes tremendous downticket pressure and erodes GOP control of the House and flips the Senate. Further Republican disarray and infighting and fragmentation causes the House to flip in 2018.

Now....with a Democratic Congress at their disposal, compare/contrast these two parallel universe Presidencies. What does Earth-1's President Clinton achieve that Earth-2's President Sanders fails to? Because if the outcome is still functionally the same, I'm not seeing any compelling argument to vote for Clinton over Sanders.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 1342