Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548225 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14805 on: March 16, 2016, 04:38:18 pm »

I found a Bernie Sanders online dating site. I have already found 12 accounts with the name "Donald Trump"
Cunning plan to make berni supporters multiply
Baldrick cunning. He'll be dead by the time they can vote.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14806 on: March 16, 2016, 04:40:25 pm »

Baldrick cunning. He'll be dead by the time they can vote.

It's not about winning, it's about changing the conversation.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14807 on: March 16, 2016, 04:41:08 pm »

It's not about winning, it's about changing the conversation.
Also called winning

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14808 on: March 16, 2016, 04:47:58 pm »

Victory through procreation. If you can't beat 'em, out breed 'em.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14809 on: March 16, 2016, 04:52:31 pm »

And if his allies introduced something that Congress never even brought to the floor, then I would expect Sanders to make hay of that and not stop until they did.

So in other words he will introduce a bill that will die in committee.  And this will avert the problem of "Many progressives will still be frustrated with the glacial pace of change".

Because if there is ONE thing that we should say about Bernie Sanders supporters as opposed to Clinton supporters, it's the Bernie Sanders supporters are going to be more patient.  They dont expect him to transform politics or anything.  They'll look at a bill that he endorses and which is dead on arrival in congress and say "oh boy!  I can't wait to stay motivated for two years and then vote in the midterms!"  People fed up with status quo politics will be delighted to hear that nothing is happening.
If you're going to put words in my mouth, at least put some mint on them or something. Right now, they just taste like snark and bile.

247 female out of 9156 members....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
If those numbers were accurate, that'd still be about on par for an internet dating service, in my experience.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14810 on: March 16, 2016, 04:52:40 pm »

Seems to work for the Catholics :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14811 on: March 16, 2016, 04:58:17 pm »

Arab spring 2: Yankee boogaloo

I WILL BE SO MOIST IF THE CIVIL HAPPENING IS WRITTEN IN COMIC SANS

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14812 on: March 16, 2016, 04:59:43 pm »

247 female out of 9156 members....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

EDIT: Wait, it turns out there's only 355 men registered on the site? I guess the vast majority isn't listing a gender. Whoops. Egg on my cheeks!

EDITx2: Yep, 7 out of 60 lesbians registered are female. Ok then.
man did you see the stats on ashley madison when their gigantic security breach happened? best estimate was that it was something like 2% actual women, IIRC

mostly desperate men and bots
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14813 on: March 16, 2016, 05:00:16 pm »

Since last night's results all but coronated Mrs. 58% (that's her proportion of pledged delegates...not as 'inevitable' as her campaign would have people believe), I would LOVE to hear her supporters put forward the benchmarks by which we'll be allowed to judge her tenure, since the knock on Bernie is "he won't get anything done".

Seriously. I want to know what definable, desirable, progressive achievements they think she'll be able to push through Congress that Sanders would be unable to. Let's make a list now, so that after the first 100 days, we can see how many she's even TRIED to do, much less succeeded. Ditto at the one-year mark, the two-year mark, the three-year mark and on the eve of her re-coronation bid.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: March 16, 2016, 05:10:58 pm »

The minimum benchmark would probably be the average that Obama has done under his adminstrations.

Sure the Republicans will probably try to be as obstructive as they were (or even try to impeach her on something), but Clinton has the experience, connections, and political weight that Obama didn't have.

Not sure whether they can impeach her since she technically hasn't broken any laws, but I half expect the Republicans to at least try. And yes I'm aware of the fact that the Republicans threatened to impeach Obama over the alleged misuse of the executive orders thing, but it never went beyond rhetoric.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:14:39 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14815 on: March 16, 2016, 05:15:44 pm »

Seriously. I want to know what definable, desirable, progressive achievements they think she'll be able to push through Congress that Sanders would be unable to. Let's make a list now, so that after the first 100 days, we can see how many she's even TRIED to do, much less succeeded. Ditto at the one-year mark, the two-year mark, the three-year mark and on the eve of her re-coronation bid.

And I want a list of touchdowns that Cam Newton is going to throw in the first game next year before people talk about him being any use on offense.

Well, she'll probably U-turn again, pass TPP and claim that as a triumph.

Probably not.  The bubble has been pierced on TPP.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14816 on: March 16, 2016, 05:21:03 pm »

Today we live in a world where the GOP field has narrowed to three: Kasich, Cruz, and Trump. I am amazed. It's truly a good day to be spectating politics.
The minimum benchmark would probably be the average that Obama has done under his adminstrations.

Sure the Republicans will probably try to be as obstructive as they were (or even try to impeach her on something), but Clinton has the experience, connections, and political weight that Obama didn't have.

Not sure whether they can impeach her since she technically hasn't broken any laws, but I half expect the Republicans to at least try. And yes I'm aware of the fact that the Republicans threatened to impeach Obama over the alleged misuse of the executive orders thing, but it never went beyond rhetoric.
Probably not since impeaching, unlike shutting down the government, requires coordination, whereas shutting down the government requires a lack of that.

I'd say that the years of ineffective democratic Presidents would create an opening for the Republicans, but at this rate there isn't a guarantee that the party, at least in its current form, will exist at the end of the Clinton Presidency. Maybe a Republican President would be a good idea purely because I can't mentally imagine a less effective presidency then that. Maybe Romney should have won just so that the Republicans gain power, try to do something with it, fail miserably, and actually get punished electorally for their failures. It might have even prompted some more serious thinking about what they want to do with themselves.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14817 on: March 16, 2016, 05:23:04 pm »

Oh gods yes, they'll open impeachment hearings on Inauguration Day.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her pivot back to center on trade and pretend she never wavered to begin with. I think she'll stay to the center-left on social issues but not on economic ones. I would be shocked if she seriously pushed for an increase in the Federal minimum wage, for instance. Or legislatively striking down Citizens United. Or effective reform of the financial industry. Or anything to discourage offspring or corporate inversions.

@mainiac: That's just sad, man. So you can't name one thing that Clinton has said she would do if elected? I thought she had all these comprehensive plans and strategies.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14818 on: March 16, 2016, 05:29:50 pm »

Eh, Obama hasn't been THAT ineffective, more like about average. He'd do better if the Republicans hadn't racistically gone up in arms and 'NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE!' at every proposal that is even slightly liberal.

Also, why isn't 538 saving their liveblogs? There was a thing about the ~40 year political cycle being preceded by an ineffective president that I wanted to link here. Obama is on the same level of ineffectiveness as Dubya and two of the examples given were Herbert Hoover and Jimmy Carter.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14819 on: March 16, 2016, 05:30:54 pm »

Bernie Neural Network; Trump also.

I love the states. I win them. Ohio is beautiful, I buy it. Thank you very much. I buy Hillary, it's beautiful and I'm happy about it.

Right now, think of this: We owe China $1.3 trillion. We owe Japan more than that. We have gun laws. I'll bring back our money.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:36:13 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 1342