Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547979 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14775 on: March 16, 2016, 12:53:15 pm »

I realized he was wearing a tin foil hat with the "Hillary literally wants to start WW3" post a couple of pages back, tbh. I mean, there are plenty of good reasons to dislike Hillary as a candidate, but he might be too busy running away from black helicopters to have researched them.
That one was because she wants to oust Aziz or whatever his name is and has stated she doesn't care if Russia is protecting him. So "she might start WW3" is actually a concern.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14776 on: March 16, 2016, 01:02:51 pm »

Rolan7: What did Bernie said?

I wonder if Bernie would have had more of a chance if he had run a more aggressive campaign. Both democrats have been pulling their punches on attacks to avoid weakening the Democrat ticket in the general election.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14777 on: March 16, 2016, 01:08:54 pm »

Well I guess we can spend all day going on about Trump turning into Literal Hitler, but taking Bernie, Bay12s Apparent Waifu to a similar illogical conclusion is totally off base.
I actually don't think he's literally Hitler. I'd say it's more than fair to call him literally Mussolini though. :V

E: ( https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/4a7b0f/mussolini_was_made_prime_minister_in_1922_at_what/ )
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:11:21 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14778 on: March 16, 2016, 01:14:16 pm »

Now Fox has cancelled it anyway: http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/16/media/donald-trump-republican-debate-fox/index.html

my reaction "Okay whatever!"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14779 on: March 16, 2016, 01:14:34 pm »

Trump's Ego ++.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14780 on: March 16, 2016, 01:17:33 pm »

Despite what he said in that speech, Biden didn't block Bush the Elder's nominee. He could have, but he didn't.
Out of curiosity, which 1992 nomination was that?  Clarence Thomas was nominated and confirmed by October 1991, well before this speech in June 1992 or the 1992 election season that is making the present nomination process in the 2016 election season so acrimonious, and in spite of talk, Byron White did not retire until 1993 and the Clinton administration.  I'm not sure that Biden's speech applies to anything more than a hypothetical that did not at the time become practice.

EDIT: Nominated by, not nominated in.  My apologies.

This is unfortunately not something I remember personally, so I was going by what I remembered reading, which was apparently flawed, if what you're saying is true.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14781 on: March 16, 2016, 01:21:34 pm »

Actually, it was a bit of a chain reaction because Kasich declined to go.

Theres proabably been enough anyway.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14782 on: March 16, 2016, 01:34:13 pm »

Cruz probably would have felt lonely loved monologuing the entire time all by himself.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14783 on: March 16, 2016, 01:38:10 pm »

I want Trump to respond to questions about the debates with "No! No more talk! We go in, we kill!"

Ted Cruz would spend three hours staring into the camera and forcefully stating that he needs a bogel for the glotch.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:40:26 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14784 on: March 16, 2016, 01:39:32 pm »

Rolan7: What did Bernie said?

I wonder if Bernie would have had more of a chance if he had run a more aggressive campaign. Both democrats have been pulling their punches on attacks to avoid weakening the Democrat ticket in the general election.

It's often quoted as "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be poor" which is just wrong (stitched together misleadingly).
"When you're white you don't know what it's like to be living in a ghetto, you don't know what it's like to be poor, you don't know what it's like to be hassled when you walk down the street or to get dragged out of a car".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6IlGoeDIUQ

Sure, it's in the context of those experiences happening more often to black people, and making the case that it's the government's fault and responsibility to fix.  But all those things happen to white people.  It has more to do with being poor than with race.  (I said *more*, race is a factor of course)

I mean, people have pointed out that women get hassled on the street.  And gay people (and hippies, and protesters) have been victimized by police for a long time.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14785 on: March 16, 2016, 01:42:15 pm »

So....you're arguing that white people totally know what it's like to be pulled over by a cop because they're white?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14786 on: March 16, 2016, 01:48:42 pm »

Uh, no.  Is that what you think Sanders meant but for black people?

I mean even then, women/gays/protesters/hippies often do know.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14787 on: March 16, 2016, 01:54:29 pm »

DWB is definitely more prevalent than any of those, Rolan.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14788 on: March 16, 2016, 02:02:39 pm »

Well I guess we can spend all day going on about Trump turning into Literal Hitler, but taking Bernie, Bay12s Apparent Waifu to a similar illogical conclusion is totally off base.
man, i know i probably shouldn't respond here, but the reason people keep comparing trump to hitler is that there are actual, potentially meaningful parallels

i don't think anybody actually expects literal hitler, but there are possibly good reasons to think that letting a nominally right-wing populist, with xenophobic policy proposals, no political experience, and a groundswell of support from the folks who think the government ought to mandate family values and stuff but are angry about everything else it does, get power won't work out much better for us this time

of course, there are also important differences - a hypothetical president trump would actually have won an election, for example, instead of worming his way into power through backroom deals and mere violence, and would be coopting a party and its ideology instead of forging one. likewise, i don't think we have any reason to expect any sort of lebensraum shenanigans - his imperial designs are more based on tribute than on conquest, after all. and he doesn't seem to be too into eugenics.

but obviously the point of a comparison isn't to say "this is going to be literally the same, i hope you stocked up on swastikly paraphernalia", it's to say "maybe we should think about whether this is going to be similar in some important ways"

to my knowledge, there are no meaningful parallels between hitler and sanders other than you don't like either of them. now, maybe if you wanted it to be about lenin? at least there was a touch of common ideological ground, although i don't think there's much shared history. but put some effort into your "nah nah i can do it too" tantrums! you, and we, deserve to see the best arguments you can make, the strongest criticisms of our weakest points. only then can we come to good conclusions about what is right or wrong. as it is, you're making it too easy to dismiss trump and his supporters as inarticulate and/or loony.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:11:02 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14789 on: March 16, 2016, 02:13:12 pm »

likewise, i don't think we have any reason to expect any sort of lebensraum shenanigans - his imperial designs are more based on tribute than on conquest, after all.
"You know, a lot of Americans live in Canada, especially since I took office. They deserve to experience how great America is too. So now we're gonna make Canada great too! They're gonna love it. And if they don't, who's gonna stop us? Canada?? Gimme a break."

Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 1342