Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545173 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14580 on: March 15, 2016, 08:57:55 am »

Who's projected to win in the Northern Marianas Islands?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14581 on: March 15, 2016, 09:00:05 am »

It's time for the Republican Party to start planning for draft pick ranking here. Throw a sacrificial sheep to Hillary and do fuckall in Congress for another few years, then take the country back in double twenty, baby. USA USA USA.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14582 on: March 15, 2016, 09:01:10 am »

Who's projected to win in the Northern Marianas Islands?
Trump. Governor and head of local Republican party have endorsed him, so, in lieu of actual campaigning on tiny pacific islands, Trump's got this.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14583 on: March 15, 2016, 09:27:29 am »

The body language here is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzh7z9aHil8

I dont think I've ever seen a politician, even Bernie Sanders, we that expressive.  It's like a textbook example of how to fail to put people at ease.  Shifting back and forth.  Eyes mostly downward.  Eyes shifting from side to side.  Mostly not addressing the person he is talking to but also not keeping his eyes on any of the cameras.  Shaking his head in an uncertain fashion.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:29:10 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14584 on: March 15, 2016, 09:39:39 am »

That's the look of a dead man walking. A guy that wants to scream from the top of his lungs, "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU MORONS?? WHYYY DIDN'T YOU VOTE FOR MEEEEEE?"

I'm not sure it tops Jeb though.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14585 on: March 15, 2016, 09:55:54 am »

Yeah, I think Rubio's career has dead ended. He probably could have salvaged it if he dropped out early, made another run in 8 or 12 years, but I don't think he'll ever advance past Senator, and even reelection might be sketchy with this sort of thing on his record.

On the other hand... dropping out early might have ensured a trump win instead of it just being a probable trump win. So martyr, maybe? I guess we'll see in a few years.

Pre-Edit: Oh, wait... he's not seeking reelection in the senate. WOOOO! Goodbye Rubio. You had a nice run. You'll get a decent benefits package for life. Enjoy your retirement.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14586 on: March 15, 2016, 10:03:35 am »

The body language here is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzh7z9aHil8

I dont think I've ever seen a politician, even Bernie Sanders, we that expressive.  It's like a textbook example of how to fail to put people at ease.  Shifting back and forth.  Eyes mostly downward.  Eyes shifting from side to side.  Mostly not addressing the person he is talking to but also not keeping his eyes on any of the cameras.  Shaking his head in an uncertain fashion.

Looks like he is extremely nervous and his mind is elsewhere, as in the 'worried about something else' sense, not in the 'not all there sense'.

Spotted this on politicos twitter sidebar: https://twitter.com/Mdixon55/status/709773541621628928

Come on Florida, go smoothly.....

Not sure if any other states had a big of a problem as that so far this primary season with voting machines.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:22:23 am by smjjames »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14587 on: March 15, 2016, 12:07:44 pm »

How about we just crowd source it?  Create a system that reflects the desires of the general population but has the standards set by a set of full time advocates who can negotiate over the particulars and leaves the actual implementation to a experts in the various topics?
but mainiac, how will we ensure that such a system does not overstep its rightful bounds? we'd need some manner of binding list of rules to protect from arbitrary coercion groups that can't muster a majority. probably some kind of bill, explaining which rights are protected.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14588 on: March 15, 2016, 12:10:06 pm »

probably some kind of bill, explaining which rights are protected.
impossible, he already served two terms
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14589 on: March 15, 2016, 12:12:52 pm »

but mainiac, how will we ensure that such a system does not overstep its rightful bounds? we'd need some manner of binding list of rules to protect from arbitrary coercion groups that can't muster a majority. probably some kind of bill, explaining which rights are protected.

Interesting idea, interesting idea.  Let me just spitball here.  What if we had some sort of oversight organization that would watch to make sure everyone was following these rules?  They could be an elite group that would carefully monitor the activity of lawmakers and be appointed to these positions for life so they would be free from outside influence.  We could call them Hashashin.

probably some kind of bill, explaining which rights are protected.
impossible, he already served two terms

Which is why he should be one of the first people selected for this new job.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14590 on: March 15, 2016, 12:14:25 pm »

Bah. What is a hivemind? The mean of all its citizens- a pre-defined 'average' of their opinions and interests? And how does that bode any better than the flipping and flopping between one party and another? Furthermore, how would that bode for the individuals, and individual arguments that, in accordance to the constitution, may be quantitatively more valid than others?

That's not really what a hivemind means. The term originally to insect colonies such as ants and bees, where the combined actions of the group take on a level of intelligence higher than any individual. This does not require the individuals to be "average", "everyone thinking the same" is not a hivemind: that's groupthink, which can actually lower the collective intelligence compared to the individual. Hivemind is often used as a perjorative to mean "groupthink" however.

But if you're asking "what is a hivemind?" we need to look at the original definition. Hivemind means combining abilities so that the total effect is a higher level of intelligence than the individual level. In this way, we can actually speculate that human technological society is already a hivemind: no individual could possibly conceive every detail of complex systems, yet these systems often work flawlessly through the individual actions of people who only understand small parts of them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:29:09 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14591 on: March 15, 2016, 12:25:09 pm »

It's Sorta-Super Tuesday, bitches!
Based on current polling, tonight is Marco Rubio's swan song, as Trump is projected to win Florida. Ohio is much closer, with a slight Kasich lead. Now....if Rubio drops and Kasich remains...first, we're *all* screwed in the Republican Hunger Games (though me less than all ye of little faith in Gov. K), and second...does Rubio endorse Kasich and finally produce the establishment unity candidate?

I'm already really screwed with the score. The Republican Hunger Games thing needs to be updated though.

Besides, as 538 shows and we have seen, the establishment is getting it's butt kicked.

Heck, before Bush dropped out, I think Rubio was actually doing a bit better, then when the establishment started going to him, he started dropping. Though his attempts at attacking Trump didn't help either.

Bah. What is a hivemind? The mean of all its citizens- a pre-defined 'average' of their opinions and interests? And how does that bode any better than the flipping and flopping between one party and another? Furthermore, how would that bode for the individuals, and individual arguments that, in accordance to the constitution, may be quantitatively more valid than others?

That's not really what a hivemind means. The term refers to insect colonies such as ants and bees, where the combined actions of the group take on a level of intelligence higher than any individual. This does not require the individuals to be "average", "everyone thinking the same" is not a hivemind: that's groupthink, and it can actually lower the collective intelligence compared to the individual. Hivemind means combining abilities so that the total effect is a higher level of intelligence than the individual level. In this way, we can actually speculate that human technological society is already a hivemind: no individual could possibly conceive every detail of complex systems, yet these systems often work flawlessly through the individual actions of people who only understand small parts of them.

I thought he meant hivemind as in like the Borg Collective.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:28:32 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14592 on: March 15, 2016, 12:30:20 pm »

The Republican Hunger Games thing needs to be updated though.

How should we judge the ben carson drop out date?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14593 on: March 15, 2016, 12:34:23 pm »

The Republican Hunger Games thing needs to be updated though.

How should we judge the ben carson drop out date?

Using the date that he makes the formal announcement works as that's what we've been doing for the other candidates.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14594 on: March 15, 2016, 12:41:29 pm »

So here is something sorta interesting.  Sanders has won every state where he has lead Clinto 3-1 in the 538 facebook tracker.  Clinton has won every state where the gap has been smaller then 3-1.  (Michigan was 4-1, the US average is 2.8-1).
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/facebook-primary/

Using the date that he makes the formal announcement works as that's what we've been doing for the other candidates.

But we've also used the date that they suspended their campaigns for the other candidates.  He is the only candidate where those are different.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:46:57 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 971 972 [973] 974 975 ... 1342