Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544880 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14430 on: March 13, 2016, 07:06:35 pm »

Combined with my experiences playing CK2, the lion does sound apt as the symbol of nobility.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14431 on: March 13, 2016, 07:17:16 pm »

It's a cold world for a Norman bastard

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14432 on: March 13, 2016, 07:46:09 pm »

Obviously the answer is the Tyrannosaurus.
I snickered at this.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14433 on: March 14, 2016, 12:09:18 am »

So this thread is mostly about treating the campaign season like a spectator sport.
Cleveland is gearing up for what I consider to be the major spectator event.

I'd be surprised if there aren't some very heated clashes at the conventions this year.  Or security might be so overwhelming that there's no opportunity for anything to happen.  Who knows?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14434 on: March 14, 2016, 12:12:32 am »

So this thread is mostly about treating the campaign season like a spectator sport.

I'd be surprised if there aren't some very heated clashes at the conventions this year.  Or security might be so overwhelming that there's no opportunity for anything to happen.  Who knows?

MY BEST ANTI-FASCIST FRIEND

Scary, isn't it? I was thinking about leaving the country, and then I found out that this sort of shit is going down worldwide! Ha-HA! Whodathunkit?!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14435 on: March 14, 2016, 12:31:42 am »

MY BEST ANTI-FASCIST FRIEND

Scary, isn't it? I was thinking about leaving the country, and then I found out that this sort of shit is going down worldwide! Ha-HA! Whodathunkit?!

Hey, Vec :)

It's good to see you back!  I would have said so sooner, but I haven't been able to keep up with any of the threads I still read lately.  Was behind on this one all week, and just got caught up!

As you could probably guess, we don't agree on Hillary, but I also haven't had the time to really put together a detailed and fact-checked argument against her or in favor of Bernie.  Suffice to say, I'm still on the anti-establishment train, but it seems there's a lot more people riding with me these days.  I don't think gender factors into my decision, though.  I voted Jill Stein in 2012, after all :P   That's not like saying I have black friends, is it?

Obama round 3 is definitely not what I want, since all my pet issues have deteriorated under him... and almost all my pet issues are about giving people more power to fight for themselves on the issues that effect them - the social justice stuff.  That stuff is very important to me, but it feels backwards to focus on candidates who talk up the end goal, but will most likely reinforce the obstacles that sap our potency along the way.

But yeah... that stuff is deteriorating almost all over the world.  Although it seems like USA provides much of the gravitational pull in that direction.  Or maybe I'm just a prime example of that leftist guilt-flavored style of egocentrism.  Regardless, there aren't many places left that are looking too great to run away to, but they're still out there and I'd still love to.  Iceland tops my list, but I'd be happy with Canada.  Unfortunately, that shit is fucking hard to pull off :(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:35:40 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14436 on: March 14, 2016, 12:48:42 am »

Yeah, on the gender thing it's not like we were offered the choice to vote for Elizabeth Warren, which would have swayed me from being pro-Sanders as well.

Hey, Australia isn't a bad choice either - universal free healthcare, decent standard of living, universal welfare benefits, and I'm currently doing my second degree as a mature-age student, and have not had to pay for any of it, and I'm also paid a decent amount of living subsidies so I can concentrate on studies and don't have to work.

To give you an idea of the comparison: the basic rate of welfare benefits here is about the same as you'd get working 40 hours a week in the USA on minimum wage, and we are actually allowed to earn a fair amount of extra money on top of that before our benefits get reduced.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:08:41 am by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14437 on: March 14, 2016, 01:01:33 am »

I'm honestly not very much on the Warren train these days, after the whole "pretending to be Cherokee" thing and the "massive act of plagiarism" thing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14438 on: March 14, 2016, 01:09:27 am »

My eyebrows shot through my forehead. She was THAT Elizabeth Warren? Holy fuck. Hoooooooly shit. I can hardly believe it! WOW.

Yeah, ok, I think she and I are done >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #14439 on: March 14, 2016, 01:22:18 am »

TIL Reelya is from Drop Bear Land.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14440 on: March 14, 2016, 01:29:26 am »

Hey, Australia isn't a bad choice either - universal free healthcare, decent standard of living, universal welfare benefits, and I'm currently doing my second degree as a mature-age student, and have not had to pay for any of it, and I'm also paid a decent amount of living subsidies so I can concentrate on studies and don't have to work.

Australia: Not 100% terrible, but we still had Tony Abbott the theocratist as prime minister fairly recently and currently have his chums in power. Don't expect our relative advantage over America to last too long. Go Canada!
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14441 on: March 14, 2016, 01:32:36 am »

Well with one of my kids being diabetic, anyplace having a better healthcare system than the U.S. is a pretty big advantage.  Just thinking about him having to deal with that as he gets into adulthood has been triggering a sense of urgency to really go hard for the Canada thing lately.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14442 on: March 14, 2016, 01:37:18 am »

I've got actual friends in Quebec and an almost conversational grasp of French, so I've actually got good prospects for moving if I seriously want to.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14443 on: March 14, 2016, 01:38:50 am »

Sorry, but Trudeau is Just Not Ready, we all know he can't win the election.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14444 on: March 14, 2016, 01:44:29 am »

Sorry, but Trudeau is Just Not Ready, we all know he can't win the election.

Not to mention the current year is now 2016.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 961 962 [963] 964 965 ... 1342