Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546899 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14205 on: March 11, 2016, 05:15:23 pm »

It's... sorta'? It's not what I'd call an initiative, no, and it's what many teachers have wanted to do all along, but, well. Teachers, from what I've seen, try to when they're able to, but the structural stuff (lesson plans from on high, testing schedules, class sizes, etc., etc.) very much inhibit that. Best current practice, basically, but more or less logistically (for lack of an immediate better word) strangled.

Not really talking about learning styles or whatev' weird and co' was going on about, though, just tailoring teaching to the student in question, in whatever ways are appropriate.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14206 on: March 11, 2016, 05:16:30 pm »

Sadly, collecting quality metrics requires money.

The current system is already plagued with financial deficits. The majority of metrics collection is focused on evaluation of the existing system, and not on evaluating efficacy of alternative teaching methodologies.

To get proper metrics, a properly funded pilot program with oversight would have to be tried. To eliminate error caused by a small sample, the experiment would have to be tried simultaneously over multiple states and ethnic demographics.

To my knowledge, no such study has been undertaken.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14207 on: March 11, 2016, 05:30:14 pm »

As for what I was suggesting, "learning style" is not a good fit, but better than the previous misunderstanding.

More like this hypothetical: (subjective adverb used again.)

A student claims they just dont understand fractions. At all.
The teacher first tries the standby of money, and mentions that a quarter is 1/4th of a dollar. The child has not really used cash, and the child's parents use predominantly credit card as a payment method. The child lacks this foundation, so continued use of the money angle is unproductive.

Identifying what the child DOES have experience with, and DOES understand is essential in imparting the lesson.

Say for instance, asking the child if they like chocolate. (I have only seen a few who did not.) When they (statistically) say yes, ask them to count how many pips are on a chocolate bar. When they give you the answer, write it on the board as the denominator.  Ask them to eat 2 pips. After they do so, write 2 as the numerator. "You just ate that much of the chocolate bar."

With any luck, the understanding will click on what fractions "are" at that point.

This is an example of identifying a student with a specific need, and addressing it to reach parity with the rest of the class. it can be handled quickly and quietly outside of normal class time, saving the child from teasing. For more severe deficits (as will happen with the current system's antics), more aggressive supplimental education will be required. Failure to identify and assist those students only harms them.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14208 on: March 11, 2016, 05:33:53 pm »

This sounds to me like old wine in a new jug.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14209 on: March 11, 2016, 05:37:08 pm »

It basically is, except that the course material provided by the government may mandate the use of the money angle.

That's the downside of a standardized curriculum. Method is often also included, and mandated.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14210 on: March 11, 2016, 05:43:25 pm »

Based on what I've seen this is the case. Methods and curriculum is dictated. Even the pace and order so that students that transfer schools or classes don't miss anything.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14211 on: March 11, 2016, 06:35:23 pm »

You kinda gotta keep to a pace if you are going to cover all the topics.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14212 on: March 11, 2016, 06:39:39 pm »

mandating a timeline, and a core competency are fine and dandy.

Mandating a method however, causes the problem. Kids arent universal commodities. Treating them like they are will only have inferior results.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14213 on: March 11, 2016, 08:05:46 pm »

Looks like Trump stuck his head into the hornet's Japanese Giant Hornet's nest here with the attempt at a rally in Chicago.

Anybody else want to bet that he both decries and praises the clash at the same time, with an additional note to his supporters :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14214 on: March 11, 2016, 08:38:13 pm »

Looks like Trump stuck his head into the hornet's Japanese Giant Hornet's nest here with the attempt at a rally in Chicago.

Anybody else want to bet that he both decries and praises the clash at the same time, with an additional note to his supporters :P
Man....it's going to be an interesting summer.

I'm just waiting for Trump to start forming his supporters into a paramilitary force to provide "security" at this rallies. Maybe they could all wear snappy matching brown shirts, so everyone knows who they are?

EDIT: Should be noted that Hitler deliberately advertised the NSDAP's rallies in the public newspapers, ensuring that hecklers and protesters would show up, thus giving them the justification for creating a "protection" force.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:49:45 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14215 on: March 11, 2016, 08:45:27 pm »

Will they be asking everyone at the rally for their papers please as well?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14216 on: March 11, 2016, 08:51:01 pm »

I don't think he'll do as bad there as y'all seem to think. Detroit is pretty much the poster child for Rust Belt cities. Talk about bringing manufacturing back to the USA is bound to generate at least some support from Detroit and cities like it. Among Republicans anyway, Michigan is about as blue a state as they come if I remember right.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:52:51 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14217 on: March 11, 2016, 09:00:28 pm »

I don't think he'll do as bad there as y'all seem to think. Detroit is pretty much the poster child for Rust Belt cities. Talk about bringing manufacturing back to the USA is bound to generate at least some support from Detroit and cities like it. Among Republicans anyway, Michigan is about as blue a state as they come if I remember right.

We're talking about Chicago here, not Detroit. Also, Michigan already did their voting a couple days ago.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14218 on: March 11, 2016, 09:09:23 pm »

Chicago is a dump like Detroit. Sanders and Trump should do okay there. I lived in Illinois, everyone outside of the Chicago metro area is right-wing as you can get. My prediction, Trump will win Illinois, Clinton and Sanders will tie again.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14219 on: March 11, 2016, 09:10:33 pm »

We're talking about Chicago here, not Detroit. Also, Michigan already did their voting a couple days ago.

I'm... not sure why I said Detroit. I was even looking at Chicago numbers. Less the substitution, all of that is still true though, Chicago has felt the drop in its manufacturing industry. The financial sector is doing well there, but downtown isn't Chicago anymore than Manhattan is New York City.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 1342