Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547179 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14175 on: March 11, 2016, 10:47:27 am »

Carson didn't have a huge following but he does have some loyal fans who liked him even before he ran.  I think it will probably win Trump a few votes from Cruz.  I imagine less then 1% of primary voters but that might swing a delegate or two.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14176 on: March 11, 2016, 11:27:22 am »

Carson didn't have a huge following but he does have some loyal fans who liked him even before he ran.  I think it will probably win Trump a few votes from Cruz.  I imagine less then 1% of primary voters but that might swing a delegate or two.

At one point he seemed to have a big following. Trump and others already got a boost from those changing their minds after Carson dropped out, so, I don't see it affecting anything.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/03/trump-defends-protest-violence-220638

'There used to be consequences for protesting'. 'Used to be'? Since when?

The only thing that I can think of that could be the 'used to' is the Civil Rights era (and the 60s 70s in general) and that was the racists doing their thing. A more recent (if less violent) example is with the Ferguson confrontations between protestors and police.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:36:26 pm by smjjames »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14177 on: March 11, 2016, 03:50:25 pm »

I've come upon this notion that the trouble with people learning math (and why you get situations such as somebody struggling to add 35 and 10 in their head) is not that they're failing to understand concepts of arithmetic, algebra and all manner of other things, it's that they've been conditioned to tune that shit right out and respond with confusion and occasionally naked fear without even processing what's being asked.

It's not that they don't understand the solution so much as they fail to understand the question. Or so I'd assume - I like to think that people don't genuinely have trouble doing arithmetic in their head, at least not in most cases, they just zone out and hope things will work out when you put them on the spot, which is a thing that works in high school, I'm pretty sure, in that teachers just move on to the individual enthusiastically raising their hand in an effort to prove themselves as a Good One, and also sometimes in real life when you don't feel like thinking and have somebody more on point standing next to you. The skills (not long division, I mean, but fundamentals of logical thought and arithmetic and what have you) are probably all there, it's just a matter of teaching someone to apply them in a distinctly unnatural environment. Now, how exactly you would do that is another question.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14178 on: March 11, 2016, 03:51:55 pm »

Identifying those in need of more aggressive search for underlying understanding nuggets to build from, so that they can get that attention, is in everyone's interest.

But for some reason, politicians and parents alike consider this to be a bad thing, and I can't for the life of me understand why.

If you institutionalize writing some people off for not being up to snuff, pretty soon you discover you'd written a lot of people off for being misunderstood.

See, Here's the thing Mainiac. Nowhere in any of my replies on this subject did I ever support "writing people off".  Far the contrary in fact.

Instead, I advocated identifying people that needed a more aggressive search for identifying areas that are already understood, to better tailor education for those people, so they dont get sidelined and passed along by the system just so it can keep being funded.

The perception that I advocate wholesale dumping of student potential to focus on "shining stars" is not just "not right", it isnt even wrong. (In fact, I addressed that exact topic DIRECTLY on a prior reply to Vector, where I said doing that is wastefully stupid.)

I really do not understand where you are getting it from, but I'll drop it for now. Still confused as to where this perception comes from.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14179 on: March 11, 2016, 03:55:40 pm »

I wonder what's origamiscienceguy's reaction, given that he supported Carson at some point.
Not really surprised, since he was probably still mad at cruz about Iowa.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14180 on: March 11, 2016, 04:02:38 pm »

I really do not understand where you are getting it from, but I'll drop it for now. Still confused as to where this perception comes from.

Sorry, I mean parents freak out because once there is a system in place to label their kids as not good at learning by method X, their kid might get mislabeled that way.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14181 on: March 11, 2016, 04:07:10 pm »

RE: violence against protestors (protesting government/establishment)

There has always been violence or reprisal when a populist group with significantly less political or financial clout protests against an established power structure.

Take for instance, the Occupy Wallstreet movement, The civil rights movement, Any major union protest, Protests against the vietnam war, and any number of others.

The essential ingedient is "Authority figures dislike being confronted by those they feel should be subordinate to them: The protest is seen as insubbordination, and insubbordination needs to be discouraged."

The human "need" they have to "remain in charge" is strong, and the use of violence almost always erupts under such conditions. Sadly, the irony of such use of violence as defacto evidence of mismanagement never seems to color the decision when it is being made. (noteworthy example: China, the Tienamen square massacre.)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14182 on: March 11, 2016, 04:13:05 pm »

Obviously, Murrican's have the basic right of freedom of assembly, except not really when there are 'safety reasons'.  Murrica will fuck up your assembly.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14183 on: March 11, 2016, 04:14:42 pm »

Sorry, I mean parents freak out because once there is a system in place to label their kids as not good at learning by method X, their kid might get mislabeled that way.

Umm... hate to break it to you, but kids already do get "graded" upon how well they and the current system work together.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14184 on: March 11, 2016, 04:16:32 pm »

Umm... hate to break it to you, but kids already do get "graded" upon how well they and the current system work together.

And parents dont like their kids getting low grades.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14185 on: March 11, 2016, 04:24:25 pm »

Yup. Already addressed that.

Under the current system, students that under perform are "hidden" by clever academic constructions by school administrators and teachers, to keep the school's grade point statistics high, so the school continues to get federal funding.

The kid gets "passing grades", making parents oblivious to the problem, and the students never get a quality education.

It is the worst possible outcome, with failure all around.

When graded properly, such as happens in college, many students find that they cannot meet muster.
The school system fails them in the very real, life consequences of bad education, way.

The method I suggest is much more comparable to say, German public education.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14186 on: March 11, 2016, 04:31:12 pm »

When graded properly, such as happens in college...

Found a problem here.

While it might not be as big of an issue in the more prestigious institutions that can get by on their name alone, there are plenty of smaller colleges out there who will basically take anyone, push them through some classes, take their money, and dump them out with a degree.

Just like in the public school system, there are supposed to be mechanics in place to prevent this, but it still happens.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14187 on: March 11, 2016, 04:34:44 pm »

Yup. Already addressed that.

I was saying why I thought parents didn't like classifying students.  Not sure why you are coming back with this.

The method I suggest is much more comparable to say, German public education.

Well, if you were in the German system, which track would you want to be on?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #14188 on: March 11, 2016, 04:36:52 pm »

And parents dont like their kids getting low grades.
I remember a poster from highschool:
1978 or 30 years ago or something: Outraged parents brandishing a report card at a student. "LOOK AT THESE GRADES!!!"
'Today', whenever that was: OUtraged parents brandishing a report card at a teacher. "LOOK AT THESE GRADES!!!"

No one wants to be blamed for the student not doing well. Especially if said not doing well means less money for them.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14189 on: March 11, 2016, 04:38:26 pm »

One suited to my personal educational needs, obviously.

Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 1342