Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 937 938 [939] 940 941 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547952 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14070 on: March 10, 2016, 09:35:48 pm »

I just learned that common core is only a set of standards for English and math. I guess science is just too controversial?

Probably got stuck on whether or not to teach evolution. :P

The republicans are showing how civil they can be during a debate for once, though a bit more interaction would be good. Editwhiletyping: Lol, Trump just remarked that he can't believe how civil it's gotten tonight.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14071 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:05 pm »

Kasich:  I won't cut social security!  You might just get less benefits
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14072 on: March 10, 2016, 09:38:34 pm »

Awww man, I was ready to grab the popcorn for a Cruz-Trump fight, and then Donald had to rain on the shit-flinging.
Very low-energy. Total disappointment.

Someone on the 538 liveblog sidebar did note that everybody seemed a bit tired and unfocused. Can't blame them for being a bit tired, it's March Madness. Also, the debate started a bit later than typically.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14073 on: March 10, 2016, 09:39:13 pm »

Cruz:  Government is the problem (ANNNNNARCHY!) and only raise the retirement age for the young.  Also we should invent some system where some of our income goes into our future.
(like social security, I guess, but no no it's "like a 401k")
The government forcing you to take some of your hard-earned money now and investing it for later? Sounds like liberal nanny-state bullshit to me!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14074 on: March 10, 2016, 09:40:25 pm »

LOL....how the fuck does Cruz think he can tax imports and not raise prices for consumers? The companies are just going to eat the increased cost out of love for America?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14075 on: March 10, 2016, 09:41:25 pm »

When people rant against Common Core, they're not usually complaining about the idea of universal standards. They're objecting to the absolutely horrid math instruction that many, if not most, schools brought in to comply with those standards. I've personally seen elementary school math homework that I can't make heads or tails of, because the way it is presented is so ass-backwards it becomes nonsensical. This isn't exactly a problem with Common Core itself, but is so closely intertwined with it that there is no difference in most people's minds.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14076 on: March 10, 2016, 09:43:46 pm »

I agree about the math bit, but that's not the conservative objection typically. The conservative objection has become all about "local control" and pushing alternatives to public education like private schools, charter schools, homeschooling, etc.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14077 on: March 10, 2016, 09:44:42 pm »

I do hate that math instruction, but I feel like most opponents are complaining about federal standards for the sake of states rights.

I really, really hate that math instruction though.

Ispil Fakedit:  Wha, really?  I was a math major when my younger brother started that integrated math BS and it was greek to me.  They didn't teach long division...
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14078 on: March 10, 2016, 09:46:45 pm »

Could I get a link to the livestream, if it exists? CNN claims I can "watch live", but apparently that means I can just watch them comment on the debate live.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14079 on: March 10, 2016, 09:47:50 pm »

I'm listening on TuneIn.  Actually, it launched the debate automatically when I clicked the app...  And then played literally 10-15 minutes of inane commercials, but still.
Just started again now.
She/they

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14080 on: March 10, 2016, 09:48:10 pm »

Part of me wants to agree with Trump's economic vision (it's import substitution, which is sorta hilarious because that's usually what countries do to get out of a colonial economy and develop a manufacturing base) but here's the thing: those factories won't reappear overnight. And in the meantime you're going to have a rough few years when all you can find is a $15 toothbrush, until the mighty toothbrush factories of Detroit come online.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/10/politics/republican-debate-live-updates/index.html

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14081 on: March 10, 2016, 09:48:57 pm »

"It's been happening for the last... long period of time."

-Donald Trump 2016
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14082 on: March 10, 2016, 09:49:55 pm »

Trump: A lot of Muslims hate us!
Rubio:  Well sure we republicans want to say that but Presidents have to be diplomatic

Edit: Thing is neither of them are wrong
She/they

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14083 on: March 10, 2016, 09:51:18 pm »

How long ago did the common core stuff start? Just wondering.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14084 on: March 10, 2016, 09:51:36 pm »

Trump talks about needing to solve "the (Muslim) problem", can't help but think of echoes of der Judenfrage.

EDIT: And Trump basically says "Fuck the law, we need to get medieval on their asses."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:53:56 pm by RedKing »

Pages: 1 ... 937 938 [939] 940 941 ... 1342