Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548712 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13995 on: March 09, 2016, 03:18:18 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13996 on: March 09, 2016, 03:25:58 pm »

This is a supernatural amount of anti-Bernie articles. The only person we know of who opposes Bernie Sanders and has access to powerful dark magic is Hillary Clinton, so clearly she is the culprit here.
I just wanted to interrupt this argument to point out this was a really quality shitpost. When you start reading it, the word "supernatural" seems odd, but it's close enough to what someone would really say that it passes as a plausible word to use in a serious post. When Act II rolls around, Act I was effective enough in creating the possibility of seriousness that "powerful dark magic" can still be considered figuratively acceptable, setting up the astonishing coup de grâce that is Act III, where any remaining illusions are shattered with the lightest touch of irony necessary to make to confirm absolutely that it's a shitpost.
I do agree, shill magic make rap fast and the sunbern make dark, the foreshadowing in Act I could not prepare me for the devastating mental assault in Act III

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13997 on: March 09, 2016, 03:26:19 pm »

This is why there are so many bill in congress which make the kneejerk reaction that ya just pass a fucking law and the problem is over.  I mean look at the paid leave provisions that Hillary and Bernie are proposing.  CLEARLY these people are just blurring everything together, amirite?

No, they are missing the point. Paid parental leave without any sort of social engineering means a bigger wage gap. There is a positive correlation between longer paid family leave and the wage gap across countries, unless you actually engineer things so that men take more of that time off.

If you just throw leave at families most of it will be taken by the mother, exacerbating the wage gap problem. It's the single biggest reason for the wage gap, let's not inadvertently make it bigger.

Sweden does it differently: give half the parental leave to each parent to encourage men to take a share of the time off. Nothing about the Democrats proposals are going far enough. They have two relevant proposals. One will do nothing, and the other will make the wage gap bigger. Sources:

www.econlife.com/the-unintended-consequences-of-parental-leave

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/12/20/the-link-between-parental-leave-and-the-gender-pay-gap/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:39:12 pm by Reelya »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13999 on: March 09, 2016, 03:32:19 pm »

If you just throw leave at families most of it will be taken by the mother, exacerbating the wage gap problem. It's the single biggest reason for the wage gap, let's not inadvertently make it bigger.

Sweden does it differently: give half the parental leave to each parent to encourage men to take a share of the time off. Nothing about the Democrats proposals are going far enough.

No, I imagine they're not. As the first Dem to say something like "Women are taking more time off than men that's why the wage gap is high" would like be tarred, feathered, urinated on then set on fire by the Equal Pay Movement. Even though it's a numerical reality, it would be taken as an attack on equality.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14000 on: March 09, 2016, 03:37:44 pm »

No, they are missing the point. Paid parental leave without any sort of social engineering means a bigger wage gap.

Well gee, I don't know what "social engineering" is but I do know what "incentives" are.  And the people who "miss the point" seem to have specifically planned around those:
Quote from: Clinton
No new business or employee mandate. Hillary’s plan will not impose additional costs on businesses, including small businesses. There is no business or employee mandate to pay for leave, nor is there a payroll tax to pay for it.
Quote from: Sanders
This would be funded through an insurance program, like Social Security. Workers would pay into it with every paycheck, at the price of roughly one cup of coffee per week. There is no reason not to pass this bill now.

Man, isn't this just like a feminist?  You bring an example of their gross ignorance and then they go and act like they aren't ignorant just because they have sponsored legislation reflecting those exact concerns and included such legislation in their campaign platforms.  Typical closeminded feminist behavior.  And then they run for president on that shrill platform!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14001 on: March 09, 2016, 03:40:00 pm »

Also Swedish social engineering is an example of what not to do if you don't want utter collapse

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14002 on: March 09, 2016, 03:41:06 pm »

Mind stopping with the hostility?

What hostility? Seems about as civil in here as it usually is.

Also Swedish social engineering is an example of what not to do if you don't want utter collapse

Ouch, double negative to the brain.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14003 on: March 09, 2016, 03:42:33 pm »

Mainiac: You're going full straw man now and not addressing even a single point I raised.

What about all the research that if women take extended periods off work, that has the biggest effect on the wage gap. If someone actually care about the wage gap, then they should be at least addressing this phenomena to some degree.

Paying people to take time off exacerbates the old patriarchal divides, because it's women who will take almost all the leave. This is especially true if the leave provisions are generous: i.e. each parent gets enough leave that only one of them needs take it. It will be the mother almost all of the time. By "social engineering" I mean we need to change the culture so that men and women take leave with roughly equal likelihood, and I don't really see anything in the Democrats proposal that is going to help with this.

So, I don't actually see any policies that the Dems have in place that will actually help with the wage gap.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:54:38 pm by Reelya »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14004 on: March 09, 2016, 03:48:35 pm »

This is a supernatural amount of anti-Bernie articles. The only person we know of who opposes Bernie Sanders and has access to powerful dark magic is Hillary Clinton, so clearly she is the culprit here.

I just wanted to interrupt this argument to point out this was a really quality shitpost. When you start reading it, the word "supernatural" seems odd, but it's close enough to what someone would really say that it passes as a plausible word to use in a serious post. When Act II rolls around, Act I was effective enough in creating the possibility of seriousness that "powerful dark magic" can still be considered figuratively acceptable, setting up the astonishing coup de grâce that is Act III, where any remaining illusions are shattered with the lightest touch of irony necessary to make to confirm absolutely that it's a shitpost.

Quality shitposting is usually the normal payload vehicle of dank memes.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14005 on: March 09, 2016, 03:50:16 pm »

Cool story Reelya.  But I really think my last post speaks for itself so I aint got no mo to say.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14006 on: March 09, 2016, 03:55:54 pm »

I don't really get it. I pointed out that paid family leave tends to exacerbate the wage gap. What do you propose to mitigate this effect when the paid leave system is implemented?

I mean, if we want to reduce the wage gap, we should be aware of how each other policy affects it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:00:23 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14007 on: March 09, 2016, 03:57:16 pm »

I love this thread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14008 on: March 09, 2016, 04:01:59 pm »

I'm accused of being too feminist by some people, and being anti-feminist by others. Which probably means I'm right in the middle. I just want them to implement policies that have the intended effect.

The reason we need what I called social engineering is that there's a stigma attached to dads taking time off for kids. Sweden broke through that stigma by financial incentives, and now 85% of dads take time off to contribute to childcare and it's seen as a normal and expected thing. Most dads there are now happy that they can take time off for kids without social stigma.

I called this social engineering because it's a deliberate longterm change in the culture itself, more than just a financial incentive.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:08:05 pm by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14009 on: March 09, 2016, 04:04:49 pm »

All I see in the middle of the road is roadkill.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1342