Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 915 916 [917] 918 919 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550038 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13741 on: March 07, 2016, 05:11:56 pm »

Look what I really want to say is : Bernie might be the best for USA, but he's not winning the candidacy. Clinton is at worst a total status quo (no progress, no fallback)  politician but she'll be nominate. On the other side we have a...Trump, a "only appears to be moderate" Kasich a "conservative but I look electable" Rubio and a reactionary Cruz. But there's Bernie's supporters going over Clinton to vote Trump (probably anti-etablishment voters) or going "Bernie or busted". In my view they're doing more damage to the USA by letting the GOP candidate to be elect than choosing Clinton.

@Frumple : That's where I'm gettin to

I think that 25 years of being vilified by the Republicans have some influence in the public mind.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13742 on: March 07, 2016, 05:14:41 pm »

Look what I really want to say is : Bernie might be the best for USA, but he's not winning the candidacy. Clinton is at worst a total status quo (no progress, no fallback)  politician but she'll be nominate. On the other side we have a...Trump, a "only appears to be moderate" Kasich a "conservative but I look electable" Rubio and a reactionary Cruz. But there's Bernie's supporters going over Clinton to vote Trump (probably anti-etablishment voters) or going "Bernie or busted". In my view they're doing more damage to the USA by letting the GOP candidate to be elect than choosing Clinton.

All I can really say is that we're going through a really complicated period politically right now, especially on the republican side.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13743 on: March 07, 2016, 05:15:07 pm »

Not that I'd disagree with nenjin's post, but it's somewhat aggravating that acting that way is treated as perfectly fine (and even emulated) when the target is Donald Trump/ Donald Trump supporters; it's apparently only when discussing the Democratic candidates that we're expected to participate in good faith and with respect and civility.

Political discourse both here and on a wider scale would be in a much better place if we treated our opponents with the same respect we'd like for ourselves.
To be fair, Trump displays an amount of decorum perhaps very slightly better than our lambasting of him here.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:16:57 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13744 on: March 07, 2016, 05:15:24 pm »

Regardless of your opinions, I can't see any way to view the way you're acting as anything but childish.

And why do you not object when Redking says for the millionth time?

OMG SHRILLARY #SOBLACK LOLZORS I AM SO FUNNY!!!111!!!111!!

I wouldn't make satire if there wasn't very obnoxious and rude behavior for me to satire.  If you think such behavior is off limits I would wholeheartedly agree.  But if it's okay for one side to do it, it should be okay for both sides to do it.

Not that I'd disagree with nenjin's post, but it's somewhat aggravating that acting that way is treated as perfectly fine (and even emulated) when the target is Trump/Trump supporters; it's apparently only when discussing the Democratic candidates that we're expected to participate in good faith and with respect and civility.

Political discourse both here and on a wider scale would be in a much better place if we treated our opponents with the same respect we'd like for ourselves.

I would be quite willing to go 10 rounds if you have an objection to any comment I've made about Trump in the past.

Most signs point to her probably being about as "bad" as Obama, who... did pretty alright.

I think this is the root issue.  Some people on the left honestly think that Obama has been a bad president.  They want more out of him.  Other people on the left think that Obama was a good president and has done and is doing about as much as he could.  It's not racist to want more Obamalike presidential leadership.  And the detractors are perfectly free to their opinion but they should recognize that the majority isn't holding that view out of racial loyalty or anything like that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:22:02 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13745 on: March 07, 2016, 05:31:13 pm »

Regardless of your opinions, I can't see any way to view the way you're acting as anything but childish.

And why do you not object when Redking says for the millionth time?

OMG SHRILLARY #SOBLACK LOLZORS I AM SO FUNNY!!!111!!!111!!

I wouldn't make satire if there wasn't very obnoxious and rude behavior for me to satire.  If you think such behavior is off limits I would wholeheartedly agree.  But if it's okay for one side to do it, it should be okay for both sides to do it.

I have not noticed any such behavior from RedKing, but I admit I might be biased due to the primal bond we share by living in the same state.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13746 on: March 07, 2016, 05:33:06 pm »

Hell, I would have liked more out of the guy, too, but I'm not going to shit on what he's managed, nor say that a second iteration would be bad. We would have some pretty substantial progress on a number of pretty hefty issues if we kept his status quo rolling. Maybe less good than possible(and I've said before, I do believe, that I'm not entirely sure bernie would actually be better, on the net), but those are two rather different things. Even a fairly worse, in comparison, go at it would still be pretty bearable for 4-8 years, t'me. Certainly better than the conservative possibilities.

Sure, there's stuff happening I'd much rather we reversed direction on (privacy, military adventurism, etc., etc.), but I can't see clinton doing worse on most of that than just about anyone else running. Bernie'd be about the only current candidate that would possibly manage that, and he'd come with his own likely suite of problems.

And yeah, E, RK has been a bit... call it uncouth? Something like that. Hunger keeps me from a better word. In reference to clinton.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13747 on: March 07, 2016, 05:33:36 pm »

I have not noticed any such behavior from RedKing, but I admit I might be biased due to the primal bond we share by living in the same state.

RK drops plenty of lines like that.

The difference is, maniac takes it personally. Like he is Hilary, or something. Or her campaign manager.

There's no rabid Trump supporters here which is why no one takes the jabs at him personally.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13748 on: March 07, 2016, 05:40:11 pm »

I ask people to consider how they would feel if the roles were reversed, I'm being sarcastic and rhetorical
I duplicate people's behavoirs, I'm trolling
I say that I expect people to display the level of restraint they expect, I'm taking this personally.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13749 on: March 07, 2016, 05:42:16 pm »

What I think about Obama is that : While he had pretty good ideas and being pragmatic at the same time he didn't had total support of his own party. The guy was elect too soon, he should have stay a senator more time so he would have build more connections with congress.

Look at what LBJ was able to pull with his connections (and particular "treatment") and by invoking the ghost of Kennedy in a term and a half.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13750 on: March 07, 2016, 05:43:58 pm »

Bloomberg isn't considering a presidential run anymore.

Also, rumblings from the Rubio campaign apparently debating whether to move forward or drop out before the 15th. It seems to be just that, rumblings, indications of a discussion, but nothing concrete. Doubt he'll drop out before tomorrows primaries, maybe if he has a poor debate performance later in the week....

Seems like Kasich has co-opted Jeb's 'slow and steady' strategy. Also, in the most recent Ohio poll, Trump is at 38% and Kasich is at 35%, but that's within the MoE of 3.9 for that poll. Plus theres loads of undecideds, so, looks like he could get Ohio.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13751 on: March 07, 2016, 05:46:18 pm »

What I think about Obama is that : While he had pretty good ideas and being pragmatic at the same time he didn't had total support of his own party. The guy was elect too soon, he should have stay a senator more time so he would have build more connections with congress.

Well take the case of Max Baucus, the Democratic Senator who provided cover to republicans creating precedent the use of filibustering as a matter of routine rather then extreme.  Baucus did this because he wanted to play kingmaker on healthcare reform.  What do you think a president could have done to make Baucus get over himself?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13752 on: March 07, 2016, 05:53:03 pm »

Well take the case of Max Baucus, the Democratic Senator who provided cover to republicans creating precedent the use of filibustering as a matter of routine rather then extreme.  Baucus did this because he wanted to play kingmaker on healthcare reform.  What do you think a president could have done to make Baucus get over himself?

Make him ambassador to China? vOv  That's what Obama did and I don't know if that is related to what you said.

I thought Biden was working Congress for Obama, which is what a VP is supposed to do, among other things, right?

Also, linkage for what I said in my earlier post: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/07/politics/marco-rubio-campaign-weighs-getting-out/index.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:56:06 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13753 on: March 07, 2016, 05:55:46 pm »

Make him ambassador to China? vOv  That's what Obama did and I don't know if that is related to what you said.

I thought Biden was working Congress for Obama, which is what a VP is supposed to do, among other things, right?

I dont quite know what you mean by this. Should he have made him ambassador sooner so he couldn't have voted against cloture?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13754 on: March 07, 2016, 05:58:37 pm »

I don't think any of obama's detractors, left or right, on any issue, actually remember biden exists, smj. Like, he's sorta' there for photo ops, maybe, and that seems to be it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 915 916 [917] 918 919 ... 1342