Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550137 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13695 on: March 07, 2016, 02:43:32 pm »

The problem here though is that many people are angry/frustrated/dissapointed that things aren't working, which would be the Trump, Sanders, and (up to a point) Cruz followers, while Clinton, Rubio, and Kasich are basically 'leave things the way they are'.

I agree with you, rolepgeek, on the thought of Trump having access to the nuclear button, but when the choices are Trump and Clinton, do you see the dilemma here? It's true that some people will be solidly on one side or another, but there will be those who can't really choose either one, and I might be one of those.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:45:10 pm by smjjames »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13696 on: March 07, 2016, 02:45:11 pm »

I see no dilemma.  Hillary is flatly unacceptable from my viewpoint, so if I am required to choose between them, I will either write-in another candidate or vote for Trump.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13697 on: March 07, 2016, 02:49:12 pm »

I see no dilemma.  Hillary is flatly unacceptable from my viewpoint, so if I am required to choose between them, I will either write-in another candidate or vote for Trump.

Not everybody would have the dillemma. I'll most likely vote third party if one is available, but honestly, I'm not sure which way I would vote. I don't want Trump, but I don't want Clinton either.

If polls (yeah, yeah, I know, take the general election polls with a grain of salt) show that Trump might beat Clinton, maybe I'll bite the bullet and vote Trump, but really, I don't know.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13698 on: March 07, 2016, 02:50:38 pm »

They were? I thought they were just, like, calling Clinton and her personal advisory campaign or whatever(don't know if that makes any sense) racist.

Okay fine, I am going to call Bernie Sanders a racist in every post from here to november.  Apparently that is the behavior that people want to see.

And of course it's not surprising, seeing as they support famed racist Bernie Sanders.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13699 on: March 07, 2016, 02:53:11 pm »

They were? I thought they were just, like, calling Clinton and her personal advisory campaign or whatever(don't know if that makes any sense) racist.

Okay fine, I am going to call Bernie Sanders a racist in every post from here to november.  Apparently that is the behavior that people want to see.

And of course it's not surprising, seeing as they support famed racist Bernie Sanders.

He's not racist as far as I can tell/know, but your opinion is your opinion.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13700 on: March 07, 2016, 02:56:54 pm »

Apparently that is the behavior that people want to see.
Could you elaborate on why you think this is the behavior people want to see? (since we're turning this into political Jeopardy, where everything has to be phrased in the form of a question)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13701 on: March 07, 2016, 02:58:56 pm »

You know, it would be refreshing to actually talk about politics instead of people. Here's a challenge: Describe what actions you want your elected representatives to take (or even what general polices they should have), without mentioning any specific individuals or political groups. I'll start.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the amount that people have been talking about this election, there's been precious little discussion about actual politics.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: March 07, 2016, 03:15:43 pm »

@ PTTG: Abortion isn't a moral issue, it is a body autonomy issue. As soon as the state legalizes the extraction of organs from someone without their express consent in the case that someone is dying who needs them, then it can become a moral issue. Until then, no one can be obligated to render the insides of their body to save the life of another person. Unless we're arguing that the mother's body becomes the property of the child as soon as they are conceived?

The fact that this issue is controversial is the height of hypocrisy in a nation that champions individualism to the highest degree.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13703 on: March 07, 2016, 03:16:17 pm »

Cruxador seems to think it's sarcastic
No, I think it's patronizing and douchey. That doesn't mean it's not sincerely so.
Could you elaborate a little bit on why you feel rhetorical questions should be steered away from?
Well, I think that in general you should be respectful of people you talk to. If you don't think someone deserves to be respected in the first place, then why are you talking to them? That was a rhetorical question, by the way. Note that it differs from what you use the term to mean (and aligns with general usage) in that it makes my intended view clear; I think that there isn't a good reason to use them. Meanwhile your questions have no clear implication, other than the implication that you think other people's views aren't well-considered. Your manner of questioning is furthermore practically useless since you add nothing to the conversation – you just rephrase a statement with "why" or a "please say more" added. If there's something specific that you actually want to know, then ask a real question. If you have something you disagree with, say what it is and why.

If that's actually your opinion then you'd be doing a hell of a lot better than you had been. Of course, it would be nice if you also back those claims up with some kind of evidence, and respond to the things other people say rather than resorting to poorly formulated sophistry.

You know, it would be refreshing to actually talk about politics instead of people. Here's a challenge: Describe what actions you want your elected representatives to take (or even what general polices they should have), without mentioning any specific individuals or political groups.
I'd like them to make trade work good, and focus on fomenting entrepreneurial opportunities for small business (ie, the opposite of TPP) and avoid international entanglement or military involvement beyond the minimum necessary to continue preventing terrorist events within our borders.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: March 07, 2016, 03:16:41 pm »

Could you elaborate on why you think this is the behavior people want to see? (since we're turning this into political Jeopardy, where everything has to be phrased in the form of a question)

Certainly!  People insist that it is mature, polite behavior to make unsubstantiated and inflammatory remarks about politicians.  They likewise insist that it is needlessly provocative to accuse people of making such remarks.  I will attempt to conform to the group and make all my posts follow these social norms from here until november.

It's strange that such behavior is the norm to me but I guess it's what we have to expect when Bernie Sanders is a candidate.  After all, his campaign will never shut up about how racist Hillary Clinton is towards white people, despite the fact that Bernie Sanders is the one who makes insensitive comments towards whites.

No, I think it's patronizing and douchey.

Well I for one dont mind in the least if anyone asks me to elaborate on any of my opinions.  So I will assure you that I will not feel patronized by such behavior.  I will however feel patronized if you accuse me of views that I do not hold or ask me to respond to insanely vague allegations about my political affiliations.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:18:24 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: March 07, 2016, 03:20:28 pm »

I don't pay attention to the rhetoric the two campaigns toss at each other, just saying.....

Also, a white person being racist to other white people, how does that work? Could you give an example of what he said that would be insensitive to white people? I'm not trying to be patronizing or anything, I'm just wondering what you mean here.

It seems more like racial pandering on both sides if anything.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:25:48 pm by smjjames »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: March 07, 2016, 03:21:32 pm »

@ PTTG: Abortion isn't a moral issue, it is a body autonomy issue.
Body autonomy is a moral issue.
As soon as the state legalizes the extraction of organs from someone without their express consent in the case that someone is dying who needs them, then it can become a moral issue.
I think this argument actually works better for the side you're arguing against than the side that you're arguing for. Abortion can only be done with the consent of the mother, so that's not an issue, but it is impossible to do with the consent of the child.
Unless we're arguing that the mother's body becomes the property of the child as soon as they are conceived?
No, but it would be reasonable to suggest that the child's body does. And it's not like there's no precedent to laws requiring parents to care for their children.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:26:35 pm by Cruxador »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13707 on: March 07, 2016, 03:25:15 pm »

Certainly!  People insist that it is mature, polite behavior to make unsubstantiated and inflammatory remarks about politicians.  They likewise insist that it is needlessly provocative to accuse people of making such remarks.  I will attempt to conform to the group and make all my posts follow these social norms from here until november.

It's strange that such behavior is the norm to me but I guess it's what we have to expect when Bernie Sanders is a candidate.  After all, his campaign will never shut up about how racist Hillary Clinton is towards white people, despite the fact that Bernie Sanders is the one who makes insensitive comments towards whites.
I'm sorry, your answer must be in the form of a rhetorical question. I'm afraid you don't move on to our Lightning Round, but you do qualify for the home version!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: March 07, 2016, 03:25:46 pm »

@ PTTG: Abortion isn't a moral issue, it is a body autonomy issue. As soon as the state legalizes the extraction of organs from someone without their express consent in the case that someone is dying who needs them, then it can become a moral issue. Until then, no one can be obligated to render the insides of their body to save the life of another person. Unless we're arguing that the mother's body becomes the property of the child as soon as they are conceived?

The fact that this issue is controversial is the height of hypocrisy in a nation that champions individualism to the highest degree.
Well, the babies are dying, and they definitely need their organ. So yes? I think it is a moral issue.

I am also a christian so that is what I believe anyway. Feel free to disagree with me. (please don't hurt me :'()
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13709 on: March 07, 2016, 03:26:08 pm »

Well I for one dont mind in the least if anyone asks me to elaborate on any of my opinions.
Then is there a reason you chose only to opine in a way that, being subjective, can't be directly addressed? Why did you choose to ignore all substantial parts of that post, and yet not abstain from posting entirely?

After all, his campaign will never shut up about how racist Hillary Clinton is towards white people, despite the fact that Bernie Sanders is the one who makes insensitive comments towards whites.
I don't think I've seen Sanders' campaign claim that Clinton is anti-white, ore really focus on attack ads in general, do you have a source to share on that?
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 1342