Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550248 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13665 on: March 07, 2016, 01:10:39 pm »

Why does it matter so much?

Well, what do you think the answer to the question is?  Keeping that in mind, why do you think I'm asking this?
most likely because you are a Maniac

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13666 on: March 07, 2016, 01:16:09 pm »

Shit is getting Socratic up in here.

Was Socrates well known for asking people to be polite?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13667 on: March 07, 2016, 01:18:16 pm »

Shit is getting Socratic up in here.

Was Socrates well known for asking people to be polite?

Nobody said you were being rude or anything.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13668 on: March 07, 2016, 01:19:42 pm »

Why does it matter so much?

Well, what do you think the answer to the question is?  Keeping that in mind, why do you think I'm asking this?

I imagine it has something to do with evidence, or a lack thereof. But I don't particularly enjoy guessing games - particularly involving the psychology of people I don't know - so I'm disinclined to ponder it beyond that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13669 on: March 07, 2016, 01:21:12 pm »

Not from what I recall, no, socrates wasn't particularly well known for asking people to be polite. Forget exactly which one it was, but at least one of the big three (Aristotle/plato/socrates) was known for being something of a jackass. Fairly sure it was socrates that was the illiterate psuedo-hobo that yelled at people in the marketplaces, though.

Also smj, you've got it backwards -- M's trying to call others out on what they perceive as rudeness.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:22:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13670 on: March 07, 2016, 01:21:41 pm »

Oh FFS.

WHAT DARKRIDER SAID WAS INSANELY RUDE AND DEMEANING.  SANDERS FANS IN THIS THREAD SEEM TO THINK THEY CAN BE RUDE TO OTHER PEOPLE AND IT'S OKAY.  IF PEOPLE TREATED YOU HALF AS RUDELY AS YOU TREATED OTHERS YOU WOULD WHINE, LABEL THEM EVIL AND IMMEDIATELY REPORT IT TO TOADY.  I HAVE BEEN REPORTED ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS FOR ACTING FAR LESS RUDE THEN SEVERAL OF YOU HAVE ACTED TODAY.

Belive it or not your side isn't fucking special.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13671 on: March 07, 2016, 01:26:50 pm »

Oh FFS.

WHAT DARKRIDER SAID WAS INSANELY RUDE AND DEMEANING.  SANDERS FANS IN THIS THREAD SEEM TO THINK THEY CAN BE RUDE TO OTHER PEOPLE AND IT'S OKAY.  IF PEOPLE TREATED YOU HALF AS RUDELY AS YOU TREATED OTHERS YOU WOULD WHINE, LABEL THEM EVIL AND IMMEDIATELY REPORT IT TO TOADY.  I HAVE BEEN REPORTED ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS FOR ACTING FAR LESS RUDE THEN SEVERAL OF YOU HAVE ACTED TODAY.

Belive it or not your side isn't fucking special.

For the record, I've never reported you for anything that I can recall, and calm down, I thought what Nenjin said and your response was referring to the conversation between you and rolepgeek.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13672 on: March 07, 2016, 01:28:43 pm »

And on that note, everyone enhance your calm. It's too early in the week to summon the Toad.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13673 on: March 07, 2016, 01:29:16 pm »

Not from what I recall, no, socrates wasn't particularly well known for asking people to be polite. Forget exactly which one it was, but at least one of the big three (Aristotle/plato/socrates) was known for being something of a jackass. Fairly sure it was socrates that was the illiterate psuedo-hobo that yelled at people in the marketplaces, though.

Also smj, you've got it backwards -- M's trying to call others out on what they perceive as rudeness.

Or maybe I'm the one being confused. I didn't percieve anything in here as rudeness. Are we still talking about the debate last night?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13674 on: March 07, 2016, 01:29:38 pm »

When did they do that?

I feel that such an accusation would be very contentious and belittling.  I did not make that accusation for that reason.
Or because, y'know, there's no evidence of that. Whereas there are multiple instances of Hillary and surrogates playing the sexism card. And the racism card (not against Hillary herself, but implications based on Sanders' mostly-white base of support).

False equivalence is false.

Let me ask you this -- do *you* think Sanders was being sexist for saying, "Excuse me, I'm talking"?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:33:40 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13675 on: March 07, 2016, 01:32:27 pm »

The Bernie supporters belittle and insult other people for pages and it's cool.  But as soon as mainiac stops politely asking them questions and calls them out on the shit people threaten to call the toad.

Y'all are hilarious with your double standards.

Or because, y'know, there's no evidence of that.

So are you saying that you feel there is no evidence of racism in the Sanders camp and that it is rude of me to suggest that Bernie Sanders supporters and Hillary Clinton supporters are basically the same?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13676 on: March 07, 2016, 01:35:28 pm »

So is no one going to bring up the fact that Bill Clinton was one of the favorite presidents of black democrats, and Bernie's campaign has not reached out to them enough to overcome the weight of perception that Hillary is going to be as good for them as he was? That the most prolific voters in this category are over the age of 40 and are not at all impressed by the fact that the Bernie revolution is mostly one of the young?

This is why Hillary is polling so well in this demographic, and these answers are straight from them. So perhaps if you want to change their minds, actually reach out to them with your messages?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13677 on: March 07, 2016, 01:39:09 pm »

Okay, I re-read the last two pages and where I thought it derailed (not so much derailed as switched tracks) from talking about what Sanders said in the debate and went into a different thing about philosophy, the topic was still what Sanders said.

When did they do that?

I feel that such an accusation would be very contentious and belittling.  I did not make that accusation for that reason.
Or because, y'know, there's no evidence of that. Whereas there are multiple instances of Hillary and surrogates playing the sexism card. And the racism card (not against Hillary herself, but implications based on Sanders' mostly-white base of support).

False equivalence is false.

Let me ask you this -- do *you* think Sanders was being sexist for saying, "Excuse me, I'm talking"?

Personally, I thought it was slightly patronizing, just the tone of it and/or Sanders being Sanders.

I didn't see it as sexist though, and the republicans (trump mostly, but others have done it) do it to each other all the time anyway.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13678 on: March 07, 2016, 01:40:26 pm »

I have yet to see anyone threaten to invoke moderation, other than you. I DGAF what you call me.

Do I think there's racism in the Sanders camp? Yeah, I think there's starting to be some resentment from the rank-and-file (myself included) at the way black voters have responded monolithically to Clinton, especially considering the dog-whistling she and Bill did in 2008 against Obama. You would think people would have better memories.

Do I think it's rude of you to suggest the two sides are the same? No. Do I think it's disingenuous? Hell yes.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13679 on: March 07, 2016, 01:43:52 pm »

Do I think there's racism in the Sanders camp? Yeah, I think there's starting to be some resentment from the rank-and-file (myself included) at the way black voters have responded monolithically to Clinton, especially considering the dog-whistling she and Bill did in 2008 against Obama. You would think people would have better memories.

A good chunk of that is probably name recognition. There may have been a bit of an analysis by 538 on that though, let me look.
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1342