Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550372 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13561 on: March 05, 2016, 10:26:38 pm »

Yeeaaaah, I can't think of much going on in this political cycle that would be more interesting to the public at large than clinton actually having a substantial chance of being indicted.

Trump tearing off his face on stage to reveal he's been a xenomorph in a skinsuit this whole time, caught on live television and verified as a non-hoax by multiple scientists of good credit, would be an example of such a story.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13562 on: March 05, 2016, 10:30:41 pm »

and all this time I thought he was really a parasitic toupee attached to a helpless white guy...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13563 on: March 05, 2016, 10:30:54 pm »

To be fair, Trump would also have to take exactly that action in the event of her indictment, in order to fulfill his need to be the center of national focus at all times.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13564 on: March 05, 2016, 10:39:20 pm »

SMJJames:  Pretty much.  Agian, "Recent" coverage.

The times DID cover the staffer being granted immunity.

Yes, and that is part of the ongoing "any dog-bites-man story related to this case gets reported" coverage.  That's very different from FBI indictment on criminal charges which would be front page news all over.

So it looks like Ted Cruz will win a plurality of delegates tonight but not a majority.  I believe this makes a contested convention more likely...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:06:29 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13565 on: March 06, 2016, 12:27:33 am »

If by "the republicans," you mean the people in charge of the party, then yes. Mind you, a majority of republican voters want donald trump or ted cruz to be the candidate.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #13566 on: March 06, 2016, 12:59:01 am »

Cruz wins Maine, with 46% of the vote...how did that happen? Maine's one of the last holdouts of the Eastern Establishment (cf. Senator Collins, former Senator Snowe). LePage is a nutcase, but was catapulted into office because the 2010 governor's race was a three-way with an independent taking votes away from the Dems.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13567 on: March 06, 2016, 01:07:12 am »

I don't think a brokered convention is going to be possible anymore. Cruz would be holding all the cards for it and The Establishment don't like him any better as an alternative to Trump. They aren't willing to give him what he wants, so it wouldn't surprise me if he jumped into bed with Trump. The GNC won't have any choice but to accept Trump as nominee.

Can Trump really pivot back to center? He's been nuttier than any wingnut in my memory, so much so that he's a Poe's Law conundrum.

EDIT: oop, "GNC" -> "RNC"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:12:39 am by Uzu Bash »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13568 on: March 06, 2016, 01:29:46 am »

They don't have to give it to Cruz. The delegates can vote for whichever candidate they want to after the first round of voting. (I also read an (opinion) article today suggesting that they nominate Mitt Romney... but he's not running, and nothing else I've read even says that's possible if he's not a candidate)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/04/contested-presidential-conventions-and-why-parties-try-to-avoid-them/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokered_convention
If you're easily amused, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_G._Harding#Primary_campaign
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:31:57 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13569 on: March 06, 2016, 01:31:08 am »

That would end the republican party. Completely.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13570 on: March 06, 2016, 01:33:15 am »

I guess we'll find out, won't we~

E:

In a Saturday morning email blast announcing the sixth episode of his web series “Horace and Pete,” C.K. included a lengthy postscript urging readers not to vote for Trump.

See the full postscript below:

Spoiler: Louis C.K.'s email (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 03:42:34 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13571 on: March 06, 2016, 08:47:22 am »

Random thought of the day, likely brought to my attention by the two beers and shot of sambucca I had with lunch: someone desperately needs to photoshop Nicholas Cage's face onto Donald Trump with the caption "I too am yuuuuuuuge."

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13572 on: March 06, 2016, 09:10:37 am »

They don't have to give it to Cruz. The delegates can vote for whichever candidate they want to after the first round of voting. (I also read an (opinion) article today suggesting that they nominate Mitt Romney... but he's not running, and nothing else I've read even says that's possible if he's not a candidate)

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/04/contested-presidential-conventions-and-why-parties-try-to-avoid-them/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokered_convention
If you're easily amused, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_G._Harding#Primary_campaign

Hard to see them consolidating on anybody after the first vote. Unless they go for a Trump/Cruz ticket.

Also, wasn't the 1968 convention a contested convention? Don't know why they aren't including that in there

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13573 on: March 06, 2016, 09:48:39 am »

Random thought of the day, likely brought to my attention by the two beers and shot of sambucca I had with lunch: someone desperately needs to photoshop Nicholas Cage's face onto Donald Trump with the caption "I too am yuuuuuuuge."

Yes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13574 on: March 06, 2016, 10:05:15 am »

Yes.

I love you, Arx.

Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 1342