Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550658 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13485 on: March 04, 2016, 07:44:29 pm »

Was it Chester A Arthur who got in a drunken brawl on the white house lawn that ended with him trying to strangle the French ambassador's wife to death?

Also, was the only President to never be elected.

No? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Vice_Presidents_of_the_United_States#Vice_presidents_who_became_presidents
John Tyler
Millard Fillmore
Andrew Johnson
Chester A. Arthur
Gerald Ford

Vice presidents are still elected, even though they aren't the focus of elections. However, Vice President Agnew resigned six months before Nixon and so Ford got chosen for his position. When Nixon resigned, Ford moved up.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13486 on: March 04, 2016, 08:12:13 pm »

Carson formally ends his campaign

Also, http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/04/opinions/president-trump-six-year-old-with-nuclear-weapons-dantonio/?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion&iref=obnetwork Yeesh, I'd rather have someone calm, cool, and collected, rather than a hothead manning the nuclear button.

*wonders if any past presidents were known to have a temper* (not that it makes it okay).
Oh really? I didn't realize he was still in the race. I have, in fact, been talking for several days as if he was not.

He informally ended it on Wenesday, the only thing he needed to do was formally end it, which he did today.

Obama: Generally considered to be the "adult" in the room, although he's had his incidents of sarcastic power. Gets frustrated. As the most recent President, its most difficult to figure out the truth on these matters. At least the Secret Service likes him.

A lot of that frustration has been at congress. Though he has shown moments of genuine anger, like with the Deepwater Horizon spill, though everybody was angry about it anyway.

So the answer is the tempers have been associated with a fair number of Presidents, but the general type is a sort of anger that remains under the surface (until it doesn't, and then you better watch out), which makes sense: one would imagine being president requires having some bark as well as bite. Of course, there are different types of tempers, and obviously its fair to say the Nixon's more then got the better of him, so its not much *having* the temper as what that particular temper implies.

It's hard to tell what Trumps particular temper implies (besides being a fighter). Not sure if Cruz really was trying to calm him down or was just egging him on with the 'count to 10' moment.

LBJ? Nixon? Andrew Jackson? Truman? Teddy Roosevelt?

Teddy Roosevelt was known to have a firey personality (probably not too different from Trump), I'm pretty sure of that.

Edit: Also, Clinton changed her mind and decided to go to that Fox News town hall after all.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:16:53 pm by smjjames »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13487 on: March 04, 2016, 08:23:36 pm »

Well hey, the democrats might be mildly interesting to watch for once.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13488 on: March 04, 2016, 08:45:15 pm »

Bernie seemed to do a lot of Hillary bashing. criticizing her for voting for the Iraq war and trade agreements. its quite exhilarating having him there instead of just on a screen. lots of people and excitement. their was quite a lot about how he doesn't have corporate sponsors and Hillary does and such.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13489 on: March 04, 2016, 10:05:04 pm »

Roosevelt: All I can find about him is that a judge once said he had a "Second-class intellect, but a first-class temperament".
That means he didn't have a temper. When people say "a temper" by itself, that's short for "a bad temperment" meaning that someone gets mad easy. Having a good temperament is the opposite; this is saying that he's mellow, friendly, and patient.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13490 on: March 05, 2016, 01:18:49 am »

Teddy Roosevelt was known to have a firey personality (probably not too different from Trump), I'm pretty sure of that.

This is completely the opposite of everything I've ever read about Teddy Roosevelt.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13491 on: March 05, 2016, 01:32:04 am »

This is completely the opposite of everything I've ever read about Teddy Roosevelt.
Freddy Roosevelt had the fiery personality, I believe.

Teddy Roosevelt is where the phrase 'Teddy Bear' comes from.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13492 on: March 05, 2016, 04:32:06 am »

That sounds fake but I'm going to choose to believe that it isn't.  Because really, that's great.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13493 on: March 05, 2016, 05:34:15 am »

It's a pretty well-known story. Though not necessarily indicative of the president's temperament.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13494 on: March 05, 2016, 11:11:12 am »

Maybe I was thinking of his oratory skills, dunno.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13495 on: March 05, 2016, 12:07:19 pm »

As far as I know, it's more because of his whole nature-lover vibe and the fact that he really liked bears, than purely because of his temperament. But still.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13496 on: March 05, 2016, 02:30:45 pm »

Anyway, a couple of states are doing primaries/caucases today and the Kansas caucases close in a half hour. Not sure when the Maine caucases close, later I guess....

Well, Cruz looks like he's definetly got Kansas hands down, but with a bit less than a quarter in, we'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:41:30 pm by smjjames »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13497 on: March 05, 2016, 05:02:20 pm »

The NYTimes page with the results as far as they are known. Looks like Cruz swallowed up Rubio's supporters and now is soundly whipping Trump.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13498 on: March 05, 2016, 05:08:14 pm »

The NYTimes page with the results as far as they are known. Looks like Cruz swallowed up Rubio's supporters and now is soundly whipping Trump.

Carson dropped out, so, he's getting some of those supporters. The debate two days ago could also have had an effect.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13499 on: March 05, 2016, 05:10:29 pm »

Still, Rubio currently is at 15% in Kansas and at 9% in Maine. Sure, it's too early to draw any real conclusions, but it looks to me like he's not doing too well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 1342