Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544153 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13380 on: March 03, 2016, 04:13:29 pm »

Another explanation for Trump's followers:
Trump is their man not despite his authoritarian streak, but because of it. University of Massachusetts's Matthew MacWilliams has discovered that the biggest predictor of support for Trump isn't income, education, age, religion, or even party identification. It's voter score on the authoritarianism scale.

This one actually makes sense.

I've seen something similar somewhere actually, it may have been 538, not sure.

Speaking of the authoritarian bent, you know, I can't help but wonder, if he wins and later, it comes time to step down (whether he loses re-election or finishes second term), would he actually step down? Given his narcissicsm, dictator-like qualities, ego, etc, I find it difficult to imagine him stepping down when he loses or his term is over. I mean, it's possible to imagine him following the law, but.... you know...

He'd face the wrath of the electorate and congress (and everybody else) if he tried to though.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13381 on: March 03, 2016, 04:29:07 pm »

If he wanted to try to rules-lawyer things, and had enough popular support, there's enough of a loophole in the 22nd amendment and 12th amendment to let someone run as Vice President as many times as they want, as long as they're never elected President more than once, and never serve more than two years as President after the original President resigns.

Edit: Typed the wrong number :V
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:35:07 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13382 on: March 03, 2016, 04:31:29 pm »

All hail the Trumperor.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13383 on: March 03, 2016, 04:39:10 pm »

If he wanted to try to rules-lawyer things, and had enough popular support, there's enough of a loophole in the 22nd amendment and 12th amendment to let someone run as Vice President as many times as they want, as long as they're never elected President more than once, and never serve more than two years as President after the original President resigns.

Pfft, do you think Trump would be willing to be the second position? I could MAYBE see a negotiated deal at the convention where it becomes a Rubio/Trump or Cruz/Trump ticket, but seriously?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13384 on: March 03, 2016, 04:40:15 pm »

So, what...he'd try to pull a Putin/Medyedev? And then have most powers vested in the Vice-Presidency?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13385 on: March 03, 2016, 04:41:05 pm »

How would a 'civil war' war (with weapons and shooting, and blood, and death, and blood) solve anything besides making people angrier?

"No man, no problem."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13386 on: March 03, 2016, 04:50:51 pm »

Given his narcissicsm, dictator-like qualities, ego, etc, I find it difficult to imagine him stepping down when he loses or his term is over. I mean, it's possible to imagine him following the law, but.... you know...

The secret service could physically remove him from the building.  They dont answer to him.  They answer to the department of homeland security whose director can only be removed by congressional impeachment or resignation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13387 on: March 03, 2016, 04:53:22 pm »

So, what...he'd try to pull a Putin/Medyedev? And then have most powers vested in the Vice-Presidency?

The difference there is that Putin just had to not be President for a bit, and then he could run for President again. But that is why I thought of it, yeah. I'd expect Trump to think of it too for the same reason. Or to ask a lawyer if he could do something similar, if he doesn't want to waste time reading things.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13388 on: March 03, 2016, 05:54:08 pm »

The US has absolute term limits though, not just consecutive ones.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13389 on: March 03, 2016, 05:54:54 pm »

Also taking over the government from the inside requires government officials and/or the military to like you.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13391 on: March 03, 2016, 06:01:06 pm »

The Republican party appears to be having problems. Especially since lots of Republican leaders have been refusing to support the candidate with the most public support.

Also, Carson might be dropping out?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13392 on: March 03, 2016, 06:04:12 pm »

The Republican party appears to be having problems. Especially since lots of Republican leaders have been refusing to support the candidate with the most public support.

Also, Carson might be dropping out?

'having problems' would be putting it lightly, and yeah, by all appearances, Carson is dropping out. He's skipping tonights debate and is supposed to be making a formal announcement tomorrow.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13393 on: March 03, 2016, 06:16:35 pm »

"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13394 on: March 03, 2016, 06:20:29 pm »

The republican party only has itself to blame for radicalizing its voterbase.

They found a more radical candidate.

This would never have happened with a sensible electorate. then again, a sensible electorate wouldnt routinely vote to enrich the 1%.

You reap what you sew. even when you are a major political party with media aparatus and surplus financial resources.
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1342