Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1543969 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13335 on: March 03, 2016, 07:02:52 am »

You have some really fun elections there.

Can someone explain, how Trump manages to maintain true american patriot and voice of the common people image, while being egocentric billionaire? When I try to understand, my mind starts boiling.
The average human being is incredibly dim.

Basically this. It all boils down to the voters in a democracy and whether you believe they are/are-not literally incapable of knowing their own best interest.
Where that threshold of intelligence lies? Who knows. But this debate is as old as the Greeks (literally).

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13336 on: March 03, 2016, 07:04:21 am »

jesus you guys sound elitist.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13337 on: March 03, 2016, 07:32:32 am »

jesus you guys sound elitist.

Yeah, Covenant isn't wrong when he points out reaction to this sort or Ivory Tower bullshitting is a big part of the reason for Trump's (and any other conservative demogogue in the last 30 years') success.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13338 on: March 03, 2016, 08:03:03 am »

You have some really fun elections there.

Can someone explain, how Trump manages to maintain true american patriot and voice of the common people image, while being egocentric billionaire? When I try to understand, my mind starts boiling.

A lot of people in the US have this mindset that everyone is potentially wealthy and famous. It's just that those of us who aren't haven't gotten their break or worked heard enough yet.

To a lot of people Trump simply is one of them who HAS made it big already. He's saying the things they're thinking, he's living the life a lot of them would live given the chance.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13339 on: March 03, 2016, 08:11:00 am »

I'd vote for Warren Buffet without too many reservations.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13340 on: March 03, 2016, 09:09:13 am »

People are tired of being told by the liberal elite that their views are backward, racist, misogynist, etc,

Know what?  Elitist pricks living in DC are tired of having words put in their mouths.  Back at you, "buddy".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13341 on: March 03, 2016, 09:13:33 am »

I see everyone in this thread is insulting each other now.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13342 on: March 03, 2016, 09:25:30 am »

Shadowlord, are you some kind of communist?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13343 on: March 03, 2016, 09:30:53 am »

Shadowlord, are you some kind of communist?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13344 on: March 03, 2016, 09:35:23 am »

I think Trump has already burned down the Republican party. Whether he gets the nomination or not, Republican voter turn-out will drop. If he gets it, Trump will turn away those who would have voted, and if he loses it he'll take away a lot of voters that wouldn't have otherwise voted. He won't be able to challenge Hillary. The GOP will have this in mind when the GNC convenes, so they'd be less hesitant to reject his nomination for the sake of their party's integrity than they would be if they believed he could win.

This is likely to alienate the Tea Party -- personally I'd say fuck those guys, but the Repubs still need the conservative votes. So in the next four years they have to decide whether to woo back the T party or campaign harder for the Hispanic vote. If they can get enough Hispanics on their side the GOP will be able to tell the teabaggers they can go form their own party, because they aren't wanted or needed by anyone but Fox News.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13345 on: March 03, 2016, 09:38:28 am »

Eh, mostly it was Covenant.

Yeah, Covenant isn't wrong when he points out reaction to this sort or Ivory Tower bullshitting is a big part of the reason for Trump's (and any other conservative demogogue in the last 30 years') success.
Sure, but there's a fine line between 'We need to take this seriously and find out where it's coming from' and the argumentum ad populum, 'He's popular, so you're wrong for opposing him'. Nobody will disagree with the first statement - though very few implement it, and even fewer apply it to Bernie - but Covenant is at the very least heavily implying the latter.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13346 on: March 03, 2016, 09:40:35 am »

I think the republican party would be fine if donald trump makes it. After all, he is at 42% and climbing What would really destroy the republican party is a brokered convention where they chose Rubio.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13347 on: March 03, 2016, 09:49:26 am »

Does that make us a republican debate then? :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #13348 on: March 03, 2016, 09:50:22 am »

It is terrifying.

Both that people are taking Trump seriously and that people aren't taking him seriously. For better, or more likely worse, he's definitely igniting a latent population of the country towards a blatantly fascist agenda. Even if he himself is not that all supreme leader, the fact that he is garnering support is cause for concern. Something has been flipped.

I fear things are going to get rocky here soon in the next few years.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1342