Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1543713 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13230 on: March 02, 2016, 02:48:09 pm »

Yep

I'm sorry, I thought you were saying that the beltway nerd crowd wasn't doing anything with the power it rapaciously acquires.  Now you seem to be indicating the opposite view?

Actually, that's my bad, I ate a negative in my sentence. Government probably isn't going to do anything especially  negative with all those bits of power and information that they acquire.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13231 on: March 02, 2016, 03:04:55 pm »

Sometimes I think that the effort to bring about gun control isn't actually worth it. With 33,000 traffic deaths and something on the order of 9000 gun deaths (not counting ~20,000 gun suicides), cars are 3.6 times deadlier than guns. If we subtract about a thousand gun deaths that were in fact totally justified field executions of violent criminals, i.e., 100% of the people killed by police officers, it's more like 4.125 times less safe to get in a car than it is to simply be an American in a public space, school, workplace, or home.

Gun violence has far reaching effects on people's mental health and sense of safety than deaths from traffic accidents do.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13232 on: March 02, 2016, 03:28:07 pm »

I do think we could be doing more about traffic deaths.  My answer is more public transit, but anyway that's neither here nor there.  Cars are a fundamentally different issue than guns.  They're an important part of how the nation runs, and they're also a piece of heavy machinery that can very easily cause accidents.  Very few civilians have been unable to make a living because their gun broke down; likewise, properly trained gunowners don't risk killing someone by accident every day they commute.  Its not the same thing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13233 on: March 02, 2016, 03:34:56 pm »

Very few civilians have been unable to make a living because their gun broke down;

IDK, you go to a state prison and I bet you can find a fair number.  :P
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13234 on: March 02, 2016, 03:38:55 pm »

Guns are a heck of a lot cheaper than cars, and there's no such thing as gun insurance. If only you could ride a gun to work!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13235 on: March 02, 2016, 03:40:52 pm »

Gun violence has far reaching effects on people's mental health and sense of safety than deaths from traffic accidents do.
Got a source on that? One that distinguishes the violence from the media furor, in particular?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13236 on: March 02, 2016, 03:50:48 pm »

Guns are a heck of a lot cheaper than cars, and there's no such thing as gun insurance. If only you could ride a gun to work!
Well, if you had a big enough bullet and a short enough commute....

....and now I'm going to spend the rest of the day imagining a world where artillery pieces are the most common form of transportation.

Do you know how long it would take them to process 300 million simultaneous gun registries? You've just bought the rest of your decade free from government interference. So just be chill.
Currently? Because Congress forbade the ATF from using any of its budget to digitize registrations, probably longer than the remaining lifetime of the United States.

EDIT: Getting back to the election, I'm seeing some interesting rule-bending. Texas has a 20% minimum threshold to qualify for delegates. Rubio only got 17.7%, but yet he was apparently awarded 4 delegates? Likewise, he was below the 20% threshold in Alabama, but still received a delegate. Only Vermont actually shut out Rubio for failing to make the 20% cut.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:59:08 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13237 on: March 02, 2016, 03:56:35 pm »

Currently? Because Congress forbade the ATF from using any of its budget to digitize registrations,

So if they found a way to do it without using any budget it would be legal?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13238 on: March 02, 2016, 04:01:09 pm »

Currently? Because Congress forbade the ATF from using any of its budget to digitize registrations,

So if they found a way to do it without using any budget it would be legal?
That's a fascinating question. I suppose? A non-profit could come in and spend the hundreds of millions of dollars necessary to create the system and go through the process of digitizing them. Though I suppose the language could be interpreted that no new registrations could be digitized (unless done by the non-profit).

In practice, if they did something like, Congress would just cut ALL their funding or make it explicitly illegal for non-governmental agencies to register firearms, or some shit like that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13239 on: March 02, 2016, 04:03:20 pm »

So, Paul Ryan and Hillary have both picked up the "YOU DIDN'T DENOUNCE DAVID DUKE!" line against Trump. Is this a case of them trying to say a lie so many times it makes it true in people's eyes, or is there something that was missed?
I think they just smell blood in the water.

On the other hand, there's this.
Dog whistling, anyone?

Meanwhile, HRC is holding a fundraiser co-hosted by lobbyists for the NRA and Goldman Sachs.
But please, tell me some more about how Bernie isn't tough enough on gun control, and how Clinton isn't close to big money.

Receiving contributions from lobbyists or ex-lobbyists for the NRA highlights the difficulty in promoting a progressive message on guns and many other issues while accepting money from registered lobbyists. Clinton declined to extend President Barack Obama’s ban on contributions from lobbyists to her own campaign. The Democratic National Committee has also stated it is ending the Obama ban on lobbyist contributions.

Everytime I start to become resigned to voting for Shillary in November, something like this reminds me why I'd need the airsickness bag to do so.

Yeesh, if it comes down to Clinton vs Trump (which is looking like the case), I think I might vote for Trump..... hesitatingly....

I believe my vote is now solidly behind Sanders.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13240 on: March 02, 2016, 04:09:10 pm »

In practice, if they did something like, Congress would just cut ALL their funding or make it explicitly illegal for non-governmental agencies to register firearms, or some shit like that.

Congress just tried to do that to the EPA and got smacked down.  It was a difficult process and took two years of legal challenges where it was touch and go but the EPA is in the clear as long as the next president is a democrat.  As long as congress is too obstructionist to actually pass legislation, they dont have much power over federal agencies.

In other news:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:15:40 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13241 on: March 02, 2016, 04:17:33 pm »

Lol, state silhouette fail, that's Maryland I believe, not Vermont.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13242 on: March 02, 2016, 04:18:26 pm »

Lol, state silhouette fail, that's Maryland.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13243 on: March 02, 2016, 04:18:48 pm »

Yeesh, if it comes down to Clinton vs Trump (which is looking like the case), I think I might vote for Trump..... hesitatingly....

Wait, what?

Here, I just checked politifact. Draw your own conclusions about who is least truthful between Trump and Hillary:

For comparison:

Plus, why would you want to vote for a raging egomaniac like Trump, much less a race-baiting bullying raging egomaniac?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13244 on: March 02, 2016, 04:27:51 pm »

The hope of rapid impeachment, presumably.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 881 882 [883] 884 885 ... 1342