Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544886 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #12990 on: March 01, 2016, 02:24:32 pm »

guys, keep with the latest memage will ya

its drumpf now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12991 on: March 01, 2016, 02:27:23 pm »

Yeah, Kasich is only hurting the anti-trump camp by staying in.

If he wins Ohio then he is helping the anti-trump camp by removing 66 delegates from Trumps total.  This makes it more likely that Trump does not have enough delegates to secure the nomination.

Except that he is on track to NOT win Ohio and the anti-Trump vote is split between Kasich, Rubio, and Cruz.

There is a small but nonzero chance that either Cruz or Rubio could drop out tonight, but I don't really see either happening unless one or the other has a consistently bad night.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:30:03 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12992 on: March 01, 2016, 02:33:06 pm »

I also don't buy that Cruz voters wouldn't Go Trump if he wasn't available.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12993 on: March 01, 2016, 02:34:22 pm »

I have a hard time seeing Trump going below 450 unless the states he's currently carrying by 15-20 points have his support all geographically confined. If he's winning a state by that much, he's likely to win every Congressional district and thus sweep the delegate count.

Just did a mockup of the Democratic Super Tuesday, which is much easier -- it's mostly proportional, though apparently a number of the states also do the "by Congressional district" thing as well.

Couple of interesting notes:
1. Clinton could actually be shut out of any delegates in Vermont. Almost all the states have a 15% minimum threshold, and she's polling around 11.4% there. Not a big deal, only 26 delegates, but still somewhat embarrassing.

2. Even though it will be a bloodbath in terms of Clinton likely winning every state other than Vermont (and possibly Massachusetts), the overall delegate disparity won't be quite as brutal as it might look at first glance. I have Clinton taking 627 delegates, to Sanders' 380. Still, that leaves a total gap of 273 (not counting superdelegates). She would be less than 50% of the way to the nomination (if you include her superdelegates), but not by much. And this is a simplistic model -- doesn't look at the potential effect of states awarding some delegates by congressional district, which will likely pad Clinton's total and cut into Sanders' total.

EDIT:
The beautiful irony of the GOP race is that all the various hurdles that the GOP establishment has put in place to try and stymie insurgent challengers (minimum thresholds, winner-take-all and winner-take-most contests, awarding delegates by Congressional districts) are the exact thing playing against them in trying to stop Trump (and to a lesser extent Cruz). Wonder if we'll see some rule changes after this cycle.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:40:05 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12994 on: March 01, 2016, 02:39:28 pm »

I can't believe we're only in march. There's what? Eight more months of this madness to go? When will it end?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12995 on: March 01, 2016, 02:39:56 pm »

The democratic rules aren't exactly proportional but they are in the ballpark of that.  So given there isn't an overwhelming advantage you will expect a long race.  Basically we expect Clinton to get about 56% of the delegates so she wont have a majority at that rate until 89% of the delegates are awarded.  Which isn't until after California.

This thread should be renamed to reflect the correct name:

Donald J. Drumpf's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:44:09 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12996 on: March 01, 2016, 02:45:59 pm »

I can't believe we're only in march. There's what? Eight more months of this madness to go? When will it end?

In November. What, you guys conclude your presidential (or whatever highest office is voted nationwide) election within a month or two?

The last presidential primaries are in June, then the conventions in mid-late July.

The democratic rules aren't exactly proportional but they are in the ballpark of that.  So given there isn't an overwhelming advantage you will expect a long race.  Basically we expect Clinton to get about 56% of the delegates so she wont have a majority at that rate until 89% of the delegates are awarded.  Which isn't until after California.

She has an overwhelming advantage in superdelegates :P , but yes, there is a long way to go.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:47:56 pm by smjjames »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12997 on: March 01, 2016, 02:52:02 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
Political campaigns in Belgium are relatively short, lasting only about one month, and there are restrictions on the use of billboards. For all of their activities, campaigns included, the political parties have to rely on government subsidies and dues paid by their members.

One month! In the US it feels like it never ends.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12998 on: March 01, 2016, 02:53:05 pm »

In November. What, you guys conclude your presidential (or whatever highest office is voted nationwide) election within a month or two?
That's what the media would have us believe, at least. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12999 on: March 01, 2016, 02:54:27 pm »

Mostly because better'n half the time the campaigning for the next one starts immediately when the last one ends, poh. Or before it does. It's basically what the corps try to do with holidays, except entirely successful.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13001 on: March 01, 2016, 02:58:26 pm »

She has an overwhelming advantage in superdelegates :P , but yes, there is a long way to go.

She has an overwhelming disadvantage in current superdelegate endorsements.  Look at it this way, any new developments in the superdelegate universe are much more likely to help Sanders then Clinton.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13002 on: March 01, 2016, 03:00:45 pm »

So this happened: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/02/29/donald-trump-georgia-rally-valdosta/81129964/
"You can’t be in there using profanity. That violates Georgia law.”

Does this dude even LIVE in Georgia? Are the Georgia prisons completely full, because holy shitfuckles...it's GEORGIA. I'm pretty sure 90% of the population uses profanity on a daily basis.
Also, I am now a wanted criminal in the state of Georgia.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:03:22 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13003 on: March 01, 2016, 03:09:47 pm »

So this happened: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/02/29/donald-trump-georgia-rally-valdosta/81129964/
"You can’t be in there using profanity. That violates Georgia law.”

Does this dude even LIVE in Georgia? Are the Georgia prisons completely full, because holy shitfuckles...it's GEORGIA. I'm pretty sure 90% of the population uses profanity on a daily basis.

Not sure if the guy being quoted is just quoting what a Trump staffer said or if he himself said that you can't be in there using profanity. Or maybe it's a school policy, don't know. Not making excuses for the guy, just saying that it isn't clear for sure if he himself said that or it was the staffer that said it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13004 on: March 01, 2016, 03:10:18 pm »

only if your post passed through or is stored in a georgian university, presumably
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 1342