Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545479 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #11655 on: February 12, 2016, 05:27:09 pm »

Imagine if your "wrong person" was Chamberlain. The world would be a helluva lot different.
"Everything that I have worked for, everything that I have hoped for, everything that I have believed in during my public life has crashed into ruins. There is only one thing left for me to do: that is devote what strength and power I have to forwarding the victory of the cause for which we have sacrificed so much.  I cannot tell what part I may be allowed to play myself; I trust I may live to see the day when Hitlerism has been destroyed and a liberated Europe has been reestablished. "
-Neville Chamberlain, September 3, 1939

I shouldn't say it would be that different; it was Chamberlain who declared war after the invasion of Poland, after all, instead of dallying further, helped turn his own party to support Churchill (in spite of Churchill also being a member of that same party), opposed any acquiescence to German peace feelers when France was on the verge of surrender and the evacuation from Dunkirk underway, and in spite of his somewhat diffident attitude as Prime Minister, discharged his role as Lord President conscientiously to prepare the Home Front.  He made his mistakes - all too many, in all likelihood - but I'm not certain he would have made too many more.   And I don't just say that because he was due to die in a year's time in either case.  :P

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11656 on: February 12, 2016, 05:38:47 pm »

Gilmore FINALLY gives up (the race, not the ghost) : http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/12/politics/jim-gilmore-republican-2016/index.html
Well it's accurate to say his campaign "gave up the ghost", especially since it was, by far, the "Ghost" of this race, with absolutely no traction whatsoever, for reasons I don't quite understand.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: February 12, 2016, 06:06:20 pm »

Yeah, Chamberlain gets entirely too much crap thrown at him. One of the big reasons that Britain didn't stand firm against Germany in 1938 was that they *couldn't*. The British Army had been scaled down to a bare fraction of its Great War size, and there was little appetite for a massive and costly rearmament program. As it was, there was only enough money to really modernize one branch. The political pressure was to ramp up the Royal Navy, but Chamberlain (as Exchequer and later Prime Minister) decided to give the lion's share to the young RAF, a decision that turned out to be prescient.

Anyways, this should probably be split out into another thread if we're going to debate Chamberlain and Churchill.

We need to focus on mourning the loss of our Gilmore dank memes.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: February 12, 2016, 07:01:46 pm »

I'm indulging the derail but in an alternative universe Mainstein called in sick one week in October and the western offensive was directed at Namur instead of Sedan.  Chamberlin is remembered as a statesman who ushered in the modern era of peacekeeping.  Blitzkrieg is a punchline used by armchair generals.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11659 on: February 12, 2016, 10:49:47 pm »

Gilmore FINALLY gives up (the race, not the ghost) : http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/12/politics/jim-gilmore-republican-2016/index.html
Well it's accurate to say his campaign "gave up the ghost", especially since it was, by far, the "Ghost" of this race, with absolutely no traction whatsoever, for reasons I don't quite understand.

You might say he didn't stand a GHOST of a chance! :D

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: February 13, 2016, 12:26:52 am »

You might say he didn't stand a GHOST of a chance! :D
His campaign lives on in spirit.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: February 13, 2016, 12:53:33 am »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11663 on: February 13, 2016, 08:50:51 am »

How many of you would stop hating Clinton if she filmed this for real, with the original song instead of these weak-sauce parody lyrics?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ted-cruz-office-space-ad-clinton-emails
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: February 13, 2016, 10:34:38 am »

It would be interesting to see.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11665 on: February 13, 2016, 10:39:26 am »

How many of you would stop hating Clinton if she filmed this for real, with the original song instead of these weak-sauce parody lyrics?

It would not be likely to cause a shift, but would almost certainly remain between the moderate and high dislike category, with high levels of resignation.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: February 13, 2016, 10:46:02 am »

Hitting that stuff with fists has gotta be hard on the knuckles and fingers, especially the pokier bits.

To answer your question, maybe slightly.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: February 13, 2016, 11:01:21 am »

It would not be likely to cause a shift, but would almost certainly remain between the moderate and high dislike category, with high levels of resignation.
This. That's like thinking going on SNL or the Daily Show is going to make millenials think you're "hip". (And yes, I'm aware Trump, Clinton and Sanders have all been on SNL in recent months).

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: February 13, 2016, 11:53:18 am »

"And our second presidential debate is presented by Saturday Night Live, with special guest stars Tina Fey, Peyton Manning, and music provided by Smashmouth"
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11669 on: February 13, 2016, 11:54:57 am »

...Watch that actually happen.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 1342