Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546167 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #11580 on: February 11, 2016, 06:48:43 pm »

The UK is annoying because it is the namesake of the system but a horrible implementation.

*Vibrates Imperialistically*
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11581 on: February 11, 2016, 06:49:20 pm »

The reforms happened right after the McGovern and Goldwater campaigns which were supposed to be the examples of unelectable candidates winning the base.  Trump would make those guys look like FDR and Eisenhower.

Wrong. The Democratic superdelegate system was created after the Hunt Commission. There were reforms after 1968 which led to a lot of caucus states becoming primary states (which were harder to control). That led to McGovern and then Carter. The Hunt Commission was convened to look at changes to the primary and convention rules in part because Ted Kennedy tried to pull some tomfuckery to get Carter's delegates to uncommit because he was running an insurgent campaign in 1980.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11582 on: February 11, 2016, 06:58:54 pm »

So, I officially put in my change of party paperwork this morning... I'm now a democrat... I feel dirty but at least I'll get to vote in a primary this cycle.

Should have gone independent, unless your state doesn't allow that or something.

In any case, Sanders isn't Obama and I don't see him pulling off a NH victory everywhere else. Sure he could pull off some close ones like in Iowa, but at this point, it seems like Hillary is still inevitable.

Hope he takes it all the way to the convention, or at least until June so that California can vote because that is a HUGE chunk of the popular vote plus the delegates.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11583 on: February 11, 2016, 07:01:24 pm »

Seems to be implying their state is one of the ones that don't. There's a handful of those.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11584 on: February 11, 2016, 07:07:32 pm »

So, I officially put in my change of party paperwork this morning... I'm now a democrat... I feel dirty but at least I'll get to vote in a primary this cycle.

Should have gone independent, unless your state doesn't allow that or something.

In any case, Sanders isn't Obama and I don't see him pulling off a NH victory everywhere else. Sure he could pull off some close ones like in Iowa, but at this point, it seems like Hillary is still inevitable.

Hope he takes it all the way to the convention, or at least until June so that California can vote because that is a HUGE chunk of the popular vote plus the delegates.

I've been "No Party Affiliation" for 10 years now. Finally got sick of not being able to vote in any primary except for some reason the occasional local Judge which was just a waste of paper. I'll probably switch back after all this, but yeah, I just wanna throw a vote at someone.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11585 on: February 11, 2016, 07:16:38 pm »

Seems to be implying their state is one of the ones that don't. There's a handful of those.

Yeah I know, but with the number of delegates that we have and the fact that the nomination is usually decided by the time it gets to California. It's just that it's like the delegates of Florida, Texas, and Louisiana combined.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11586 on: February 11, 2016, 08:31:38 pm »

Democratic debate starting in an half hour.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11587 on: February 11, 2016, 08:43:07 pm »

This would explain everything as I am a relentless hater of the presidential system and greatly favor parliamentarianism.

Yeah, but the upside of parliamentarianism is it's supposed to offer greater variety and proportionality of representation, right?  The superdelegates thing seems like it goes the exact opposite direction.
Naah. Look at the UK: Their parliamentary system is designed to keep out smaller parties just like the US one is, albeit less extremely so. The main appeal of parliamentarism is that it involves more people in the decision-making process, making it less dependant on the whims of a single guy who happened to win an election and more aligned with the collective's will.

For greater variety and proportionality of representation you need the additional condition of proportional representation. Combine that with local representation à la Bundestag and a threshold of about 5% and you've got a pretty much ideal system.
So the German says the German system is the ideal system, eh? ;P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11588 on: February 11, 2016, 08:47:06 pm »

This would explain everything as I am a relentless hater of the presidential system and greatly favor parliamentarianism.

Yeah, but the upside of parliamentarianism is it's supposed to offer greater variety and proportionality of representation, right?  The superdelegates thing seems like it goes the exact opposite direction.
Naah. Look at the UK: Their parliamentary system is designed to keep out smaller parties just like the US one is, albeit less extremely so. The main appeal of parliamentarism is that it involves more people in the decision-making process, making it less dependant on the whims of a single guy who happened to win an election and more aligned with the collective's will.

For greater variety and proportionality of representation you need the additional condition of proportional representation. Combine that with local representation à la Bundestag and a threshold of about 5% and you've got a pretty much ideal system.
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles... :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11589 on: February 11, 2016, 08:50:31 pm »

Well yeah. It really is though! It's not like I'm claiming that its Germanness is what's making it perfect - you should hear me talk about German cooking, or German political attitudes, or a myriad other things. Rule of thumb is that non-German is at least slightly better, maybe with the exception of literature, philosophy, and tanks.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11590 on: February 11, 2016, 08:52:06 pm »

What about philosophical tanks in literature?

I'm not sayin' you're wrong, hell I'd probably prefer that over what we got in Canada (woooo British style :V) but it just struck me as funny :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11591 on: February 11, 2016, 08:54:40 pm »

The philosophical tank, rolling through my heart like a land battleship

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11592 on: February 11, 2016, 08:56:36 pm »

Well yeah. It really is though! It's not like I'm claiming that its Germanness is what's making it perfect - you should hear me talk about German cooking, or German political attitudes, or a myriad other things. Rule of thumb is that non-German is at least slightly better, maybe with the exception of literature, philosophy, and tanks.

You could make an exception for music, because Beethoven, Mozart, and Wagner. At least when it comes to the classical music anyway.

This is offtopic for this thread anyhow :P

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11593 on: February 11, 2016, 08:58:58 pm »

I'd be willing to agree except it gave you Merkel

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11594 on: February 11, 2016, 08:59:42 pm »

That's gotta burn more than Berlin
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 1342