Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546484 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #11550 on: February 11, 2016, 05:16:57 pm »

I mean, there's plenty to be said about Clinton vs. Sanders, but claiming that she performs better against the GOP field isn't supported by the evidence.

Gotcha, Nate Silver, Sam Wang, 95% of the democratic leadership and the republican superPacs are all going without evidence.

The party leadership supporting the candidate they want? Yeah, that's definitely more important than voter opinion. The attack ads being pointed at the candidate who's half-made of (to their base, anyways) low-hanging fruits seems equally obvious and equally pointless. If I had to hazard a guess, their line of thought is that in the event of Trump splitting the GOP, Clinton will be more likely to draw moderate votes than Sanders.

I mean, hell, if Clinton wins the nomination because a bunch of superdelegates went to her before primary votes were cast, that's just one more reason to throw my hat in with the President America Deserves. I'd almost rather suffer through four years of utter hell watching the country fall apart maybe followed by real reform rather than another four-to-eight of a center-line candidate supporting the same money machine with all the problems of that further increasing the likelihood of an extremist on the right managing to use it to pull themselves into the Oval Office after it's over.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: February 11, 2016, 05:17:56 pm »

Though I guess it does beg the question of how the system would fare if there were superdelegates in the presidential election.

Isn't the Eelectoral College a rough equivalent?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: February 11, 2016, 05:19:14 pm »

Ok.  I still don't understand how that explains the superdelegate issue, but at least I understand why I found the progression non-sequiter.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: February 11, 2016, 05:21:28 pm »

Though I guess it does beg the question of how the system would fare if there were superdelegates in the presidential election.

The primaries are trying to do something different from a general election.  Primarys are trying to assemble a winning coalition.

Could be a matter of the party establishment superseding the popular vote in order to ensure the more "electable" candidate wins. Though frankly, the pure volume of superdelegates in my opinion is way too high- it should be for tiebreakers and other way-too-close situations.

It's 7%, that's only enough to swing 1 primary since the system was set up.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: February 11, 2016, 05:26:04 pm »

Yeah, it's not neccesarily the superdelegate system itself that I'm complaining about, it's the fact that she has a massive lead from the start.

Granted it largely became that way because of Clintons inevitability and what looked like a weak field of opponents.

Salmongod, not sure if you realize, but those superdelegates can change sides at any time up to the convention, meaning, it's not fixed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: February 11, 2016, 05:26:57 pm »

Maybe we need literal "coalition" candidates? Lower candidates during the primaries can pool in their delegates with the expectation of having some influence should the victor win office?

Oh wait, I just described parliamentary politics.

That's what the conventions are for.

edit: Half expected a response between the two posts.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: February 11, 2016, 05:32:19 pm »

That's because no candidate has covered her base with the party as much as Clinton and Sanders has done so very, very little.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: February 11, 2016, 05:32:20 pm »

It's 7%, that's only enough to swing 1 primary since the system was set up.

So my math here is wrong?  Or did I find bad information?  Because it looks like more than that.

Delegates needed to win the nomination: 2,382

Superdelegates already pledged to Clinton: 394
Percentage of delegates needed for nomination provided by superdelegate pledges: 16.5%

Superdelegates already pledged to Sanders: 44
Percentage of delegates needed for nomination provided by superdelegate pledges: 1.8%

Salmongod, not sure if you realize, but those superdelegates can change sides at any time up to the convention, meaning, it's not fixed.

Yeah, I get that.  How often do they switch on their pledges, historically?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: February 11, 2016, 05:36:43 pm »

Not sure how to find information on how often they switch pledges (yeah, yeah, I know, use google, just not sure where I might find it), but I know a whole bunch of them jumped ship from Clinton to Obama in 2008.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: February 11, 2016, 05:39:44 pm »

It is not 7%. The number of superdelegates varies from cycle to cycle, but there will be roughly 712 superdelegates in this primary, out of a total of 4763 delegates. That's just shy of 15% (14.95%, to be exact). Furthermore, as a candidate only needs to get to 50%+1 to win, they need only 2382 to win. If all the superdelegates went in the same direction, that would give them nearly 30% (29.9%) of the target needed, before any primary-awarded delegates are tallied. A candidate could conceivably win up to 58.7% of the awarded delegates and still lose due to superdelegates. And that's just in a two-person race. In a multi-candidate race where the awarded delegates are more thinly dispersed, the superdelegates' kingmaking potential is even greater.

I'm not saying the primaries aren't important, but I'm not dismissing the superdelegates as meaningless either. They are definitely a fingertip on the scales.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: February 11, 2016, 05:40:11 pm »

Someone tell me if I understand correctly: The whole superdelegate system is basically meant to inject a bit of parliamentarism into the process, right? To give the party as an entity of its own a say in the process, along the lines of 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: February 11, 2016, 05:43:58 pm »

That's a hospitable way of putting it, yes. I'd say it's more alike the lines of "Entrenched power gonna entrench."
In theory, it would be to stop a charismatic nut like Trump from winning the nomination and dooming the party. But in practice, it can also be used to tip the scales in favor of an establishment politician who has curried a lot of favor and ties within the party. It's the old boys' network codified.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: February 11, 2016, 05:45:16 pm »

So my math here is wrong?  Or did I find bad information?  Because it looks like more than that.

I must have been mixing it up with something.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: February 11, 2016, 05:46:12 pm »

Someone tell me if I understand correctly: The whole superdelegate system is basically meant to inject a bit of parliamentarism into the process, right? To give the party as an entity of its own a say in the process, along the lines of 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts'?

This would explain everything as I am a relentless hater of the presidential system and greatly favor parliamentarianism.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: February 11, 2016, 05:52:39 pm »

I can't seem to get to anywhere past 2008, but the whole migrations of the delegates in 2008 should give you an idea.
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 1342