Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544236 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #10950 on: February 02, 2016, 03:23:10 pm »

In texas, we have open primaries, so anyone can vote for any party.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10951 on: February 02, 2016, 03:29:38 pm »

That'll be an interesting quandry for me -- if the Clinton juggernaut has finished crushing my hopes by the time the primary rolls around here, do I vote in the GOP primary for maximum monkeywrench or vote Dem to register a protest vote? (As an independent, I can choose which primary to vote in.)

Same, and at least in this state, we stay Independent after voting in a primary, too.
Same here. I wouldn't vote if it meant having to declare an allegiance.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10952 on: February 02, 2016, 03:36:34 pm »

Why not vote for Sanders? That could work as a protest vote against Clinton. Though you'd have to see where they are by the time voting rolls around to your state.

Meanwhile, California, which has a huge chunk of delegates for the democrats (and a sizeable chunk for republicans), is dead last in June. With such a huge chunk of delegates, it would be nice to have it be earlier, but I guess due to our huge chunk of delegates, it makes some sense to have it late to act as a bit of a tiebreaker. However, the thing is that it's so late, the nomination is usually decided by that point, so, it ends up being moot.

BTW, I voted for Obama back in 2008, and I vote as independent.

Seriously, California has 546 democrat delegates, that's several states combined! edit: Wait, how many of those are superdelegates?....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:40:46 pm by smjjames »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10953 on: February 02, 2016, 03:55:40 pm »

Independents in Kentucky can't vote in primaries, so nobody registers independent (7.5% as opposed to the apparent national average of 43%). And nobody here views it as declaring an allegiance, it's just a bureaucratic hoop you have to jump through. And if you're a Bernie-type independent or a Rand-type independent you're only going to be looking at one of the primaries anyway. Honestly it's pretty overtly shitty but it inconveniences most people little enough that there isn't any push to change it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:58:11 pm by penguinofhonor »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10954 on: February 02, 2016, 04:13:47 pm »

Why not vote for Sanders? That could work as a protest vote against Clinton. Though you'd have to see where they are by the time voting rolls around to your state.

Meanwhile, California, which has a huge chunk of delegates for the democrats (and a sizeable chunk for republicans), is dead last in June. With such a huge chunk of delegates, it would be nice to have it be earlier, but I guess due to our huge chunk of delegates, it makes some sense to have it late to act as a bit of a tiebreaker. However, the thing is that it's so late, the nomination is usually decided by that point, so, it ends up being moot.

BTW, I voted for Obama back in 2008, and I vote as independent.

Seriously, California has 546 democrat delegates, that's several states combined! edit: Wait, how many of those are superdelegates?....
That's why I said "if the Clinton juggernaut has already crushed my hopes". We don't vote till early March (which is still way better than it used to be -- we were nearly the last state in most preceding elections). If Sanders still has any kind of reasonable chance, I'll be voting (and probably volunteering) for him. But if Clinton already has it sewn up, then I'm not sure it's worth it to cast a meaningless protest vote (and I think it would be very meaningless -- Clinton and the DNC aren't going to shift their positions in any meaningful way just because a minority disagree with them).

That's kinda nuts about California. It used to be part of Super Tuesday, in early February. This cycle's Super Tuesday is Mar 1. NC goes two weeks after that, so it could be more or less over by then, although there will still be a number of large states up for grabs -- Illinois, Floria, Pennsylvania, and fuckhueg California. So as long as Clinton doesn't dominate every race after NH, it still might be an open game at that point.

Independents in Kentucky can't vote in primaries, so nobody registers independent. And nobody here views it as declaring an allegiance, it's just a bureaucratic hoop you have to jump through. And if you're a Bernie-type independent or a Rand-type independent you're only going to be looking at one of the primaries anyway. Honestly it's pretty overtly shitty but it inconveniences most people little enough that there isn't any push to change it.
Yeah, that's how it used to be here. Since they opened the primaries up to independents/"Unaffiliated", "Unaffiliated" has ballooned from 17.9% in 2004 to just above 28% of the electorate as of the beginning of this year. At the current rate of growth, Unaffiliated will overtake Republicans as the 2nd largest registration bloc in NC within a year or two.**

**Don't ask me how NC can be 40% Democrat vs. 30% Republican and still wind up with an R governor, two R Senators, and an R-dominated legislature. There's a lot of factors at play, including gerrymandering, an ineffectual NC Dem organization, weak turnout, and conservative rural white Dems who never got the memo about the party realignment of the '64/'68 elections.

EDIT: Heh...looking at my voter history, I forgot I voted in the GOP primary in 2012. Think I voted Santorum for maximum lulz.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:20:23 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10955 on: February 02, 2016, 04:45:18 pm »

or vote Dem to register a protest vote?

I would say that a protest vote does the most good.  Not a huuuuuuuge amount of good but the most good.  I'm planning to vote Lessig myself.  But Maryland doesn't get to vote until April 26th.  Maybe I'll be the only one who bothers to vote in my precinct and Lessig will get a delegate.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:47:16 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10956 on: February 02, 2016, 05:01:19 pm »

But voting to prolong and confound the GOP shitstorm could do a YUUUGE amount of good. YUUGE. I mean, the biggest, the classiest shitstorm. Nobody does a shitstorm like the Republicans, nobody.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10957 on: February 02, 2016, 05:04:37 pm »

Dishonesty in, dishonesty out, my good man.

Check out what has happened to prediction markets on Trump and Rubio since yesterday:
http://predictwise.com/
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10958 on: February 02, 2016, 05:05:37 pm »

How do they think Sanders has such a low chance?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10959 on: February 02, 2016, 05:08:02 pm »

Fiorina declares victory in Iowa.

Alternately, 'I Think We Still Have A Shot,' Carly Fiorina Assures Closest Inkjet Printer

@Ispil: The problem with that logic is that it assumes everyone's choices are already ossified and that Sanders can't make any inroads with blacks, Latinos, moderate Democrats or organized labor.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10960 on: February 02, 2016, 05:12:54 pm »

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10961 on: February 02, 2016, 05:13:54 pm »

Which I still don't fathom. It's not like he's running against Obama or Booker, or anyone that's actually....y'know...BLACK.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10962 on: February 02, 2016, 05:20:35 pm »

He doesn't have enough mindshare; he's not famous enough.

(Same reason why on he Republican side Trump is doing so good actually; everyone's heard of him because he was a reality TV star. He's never done anything worthwhile in his life, but that doesn't matter because at least people have heard of him; unlike most of the other Republicans)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10963 on: February 02, 2016, 05:22:07 pm »

Which I still don't fathom. It's not like he's running against Obama or Booker, or anyone that's actually....y'know...BLACK.
Ol' Bill is rather popular with that demographic, isn't he? That's a huge advantage Hilly has over Sanders.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10964 on: February 02, 2016, 05:22:40 pm »

Because he tied in the third most favorable state for him out of 50.  So if we extrapolated from that it means there are two states he is expected to win and 47 he is expected to lose unless something is different going forward.  The chance of him winning is roughly speaking the chance of something being different going forward.

Ol' Bill is rather popular with that demographic, isn't he? That's a huge advantage Hilly has over Sanders.

Hillary Clinton polls as an overwhelming favorite among every democratic primary demographic but one, white liberals.  Maybe the question isn't "why does Hillary do well among blacks?" and instead the question is "why does Bernie do well among white liberals?"  I think it's pretty obvious to everyone why Bernie does well among white liberals, he gives them exactly what they asked for.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:26:07 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 729 730 [731] 732 733 ... 1342