Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544327 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #10935 on: February 02, 2016, 10:17:08 am »

That greatly weakens the awesomeness of Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday drawling, "I'm your huckleberry..." in Tombstone.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10936 on: February 02, 2016, 10:17:08 am »

<double post removed>
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:03:31 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10937 on: February 02, 2016, 10:18:39 am »

Huckleberry Finn objects.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10938 on: February 02, 2016, 10:46:39 am »

According to ABC, Huckabee suspended his campaign.  I believe he did so before midnight but if he did so after midnight, people should tell me because it will affect the scores of the Republican hunger games.  No one has made the first three predictions perfectly.

Most interesting thing about Huckabee: Huckabee sounds huckleberry which was a 19th century slang for a small, insignificant or forgettable thing.

I'm pretty positive he ended his campaign before midnight EST. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/mike-huckabee-suspends-his-2016-campaign-218593?lo=ap_d3 was posted at 10PM EST.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10939 on: February 02, 2016, 11:25:38 am »

In part because of all the free media coverage he gets.
In part? Surely you jest. It's like, mostly.

Donald "The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese" Trump has also been criticized for having an awful ground game (so he probably didn't spend money on that), and ground games win elections (Obama always had an excellent ground game, that's why he was able to beat Clinton, McCain, and Romney). I don't know how much it effected this result though: if turnout was very high, presumably that would have benefited Donald "The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese" Trump (who all pundits argued had a inconsistent support base who wouldn't actually show), but it didn't.

It seems like Clinton won, but Sanders has not yet conceded.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10940 on: February 02, 2016, 11:30:14 am »

That greatly weakens the awesomeness of Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday drawling, "I'm your huckleberry..." in Tombstone.

That's the meaning he was invoking.  Oh you need somebody to do a little shooting?  I'll help you, no big deal.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10941 on: February 02, 2016, 12:24:03 pm »

Why would he concede when delegates are assigned proportionally and it's basically a tie? lol
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10942 on: February 02, 2016, 01:39:02 pm »

In part because of all the free media coverage he gets.
In part? Surely you jest. It's like, mostly.

Donald "The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese" Trump has also been criticized for having an awful ground game (so he probably didn't spend money on that), and ground games win elections (Obama always had an excellent ground game, that's why he was able to beat Clinton, McCain, and Romney). I don't know how much it effected this result though: if turnout was very high, presumably that would have benefited Donald "The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese" Trump (who all pundits argued had a inconsistent support base who wouldn't actually show), but it didn't.

That seems to be backwards reasoning. The turnout was very high (beat the former record significantly). Trump has a narrow, strangely passionate support base, followed by fifty percent of Republicans not liking him.

I'd chase up sources, but I'm not quite willing to reread all of 538 today
Even the avatars expire eventually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10943 on: February 02, 2016, 01:53:44 pm »

My theory is his fans aren't really intending to vote for him. They just love a spectacle and Trump is basically a celebrity in their minds. Going to his rallies is the mental equivalent of going to Universal Studios and getting a selfie with the Rock or whoever. They're passionate because he says the awful shit they believe but can't in public or others would rightly call them terrible people. But I don't think (or at least I hope) that translates to an actual vote.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10944 on: February 02, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »

I think it's more that while he has a lot of fans, he has 3-4 haters for every fan -- just within the GOP. Indications are that people turned out *just* to make sure he didn't win.

Now, how that squares with polling at 35-40%, I can't say.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10945 on: February 02, 2016, 02:59:36 pm »

I think it's more that while he has a lot of fans, he has 3-4 haters for every fan -- just within the GOP. Indications are that people turned out *just* to make sure he didn't win.

Now, how that squares with polling at 35-40%, I can't say.

Yeah, I've also heard that people were switching parties to vote for/against trump.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10946 on: February 02, 2016, 03:05:55 pm »

That'll be an interesting quandry for me -- if the Clinton juggernaut has finished crushing my hopes by the time the primary rolls around here, do I vote in the GOP primary for maximum monkeywrench or vote Dem to register a protest vote? (As an independent, I can choose which primary to vote in.)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10947 on: February 02, 2016, 03:07:19 pm »

That'll be an interesting quandry for me -- if the Clinton juggernaut has finished crushing my hopes by the time the primary rolls around here, do I vote in the GOP primary for maximum monkeywrench or vote Dem to register a protest vote? (As an independent, I can choose which primary to vote in.)
Whichever one will make a bigger difference. If the democratic race is as close as it is now, then vote for them etc.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10948 on: February 02, 2016, 03:12:21 pm »

It'll probably depend on the downticket races. Already planning to vote Cooper for Governor, and anybody not named Richard Burr for Senate.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10949 on: February 02, 2016, 03:21:40 pm »

Same, and at least in this state, we stay Independent after voting in a primary, too.
Pages: 1 ... 728 729 [730] 731 732 ... 1342