Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544705 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #10755 on: February 01, 2016, 03:45:36 pm »

We are discussing a far more prickly topic.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: February 01, 2016, 05:17:19 pm »

Called it on the Totally My Real Hair Trump getting an edge due to brand recognition.

Really, I have very few doubts that he will win the nomination-- and if he fails, it will be by a very narrow margin. (The American voter really is this clueless, sadly.)

Do I want this to happen? Hell no.  Will it happen? Odds seem pretty long against it not happening.

Again, to me a Trump Vs Clinton ticket is the worst possible ticket.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: February 01, 2016, 05:20:56 pm »

I still think it's going to be Sanders Vs Trump, with Sanders winning.

Clinton is too moderate, in some ways.  People are desperate for revolutionary change.  The only real question is, will they try again after giving Obama 8 years?
Also Clinton is a skeezy Washington insider, which only makes her look worse.  Even if she would actually get shit done.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: February 01, 2016, 05:27:02 pm »

Sadly, as recent state department reports indicate-- she "Gets shit done" by breaking rules flagrantly. (Like telling aides to strip off security disclosure notices on information so it can be sent over insecure channels, without actually declassifying it first.)

I would rather not have her as the president, thanks.

Edit

Sadly, if The Trump wins the nomination, it will cause a fervent, feverish, and radicalized peal through the democratic ranks, who will likely double-down on clinton as a knee-jerk reaction. This is likely to shoot her numbers through the roof, leaving more sensible candidates like Sanders out in the cold.

Politics-- it is almost never about being sensible. More's the pity.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:39:47 pm by wierd »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10759 on: February 01, 2016, 06:10:25 pm »

I dunno, I think its a plus that we have a presidential candidate who cares less about 'national security'.  ....  In a weird sort of way I can't really explain.
Something about less gov't secrets = good
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: February 01, 2016, 06:17:41 pm »

Radicalized?
Clinton?
You sure?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: February 01, 2016, 06:30:28 pm »

Well, if Trump sews up the nomination early, the Clinton camp will certainly have a message of "This is no time for childish idealism, we have a madman to stop!"

Except for that whole thing where Sanders polls better head-to-head against Trump than Clinton does....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: February 01, 2016, 06:32:20 pm »

Exactly.  I think they'd pull towards the person who'd actually stand a chance of defeating Trump.

I just can't see Clinton winning.

Which is worrisome.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:39:37 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10763 on: February 01, 2016, 06:38:32 pm »

I just can't see Climton winning.

You just can't see the mainstream politician winning against the candidate with the largest negatives since the end of the dixiecrat party?  Alvin Greene would be a favorite to win against Trump in a one on one contest.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: February 01, 2016, 06:40:43 pm »

There's too many things for Trump to slam, though.
Despite the fact that a lot of it is already resolved (Benghazi).

And he has too much support to discount.

I mean, unless the Republican party abandons ship.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: February 01, 2016, 06:46:07 pm »

And he has too much support to just discount.
Despite the fact that a lot of it is already resolved (Benghazi).
Well, if Trump sews up the nomination early, the Clinton camp will certainly have a message of "This is no time for childish idealism, we have a madman to stop!"

Except for that whole thing where Sanders polls better head-to-head against Trump than Clinton does....

Exactly.  I'll definitely vote for Sanders.  I think he'll win against Trump (unlike Clinton) and I love most of his platform.

But if I could somehow choose who the next president would be, all by myself...  I think Clinton would get more things through congress.  I'd choose her.

... Ugh, this is why civilized nations have multi-party systems with coalitions.  Because I ALSO really want O'Malley up there, promoting the green angle.  But nope, we've got this ludicrous 2-party farce.  Literally, farce.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10766 on: February 01, 2016, 06:52:28 pm »

Ah yes the overwhelming reasons that are constantly referred to.  So unspeakable they must be kept vague.

Every politician has baggage.  Clinton's dirty laundry is already out in the open and has been for an agonizingly long time..  This doesn't matter because whoever gets the nomination will have their dirty laundry aired.  Her dirty laundry isn't going to be more shocking upon being recycled.

Trump however has not been placed directly in the crosshairs of a national, partisan election.  It's a bit of a mystery why the republicans are still handling him with kid gloves.  But the democrats sure as hell aren't going to.  His life is a goldmine of political fodder.  They could tease out some new line of attack every month until election day and still not even make it through the greatest hits.  The personal sketchiness.  The inherent inability to manage money.  The people he's hurt.  The contracts he's broken.  His core brand is fundamentally compromised.  Repeating tired cliches about a two year old investigation that didn't result in one prosecution isn't going to count for crap compared to the media circus that Trump's implosion would supply.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10767 on: February 01, 2016, 06:54:32 pm »

To be completely honest, I think that Clinton is a surer bet at beating Trump, mainly because she has a wider base of support than Sanders, and doesn't share a core demographic with Trump.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: February 01, 2016, 06:56:53 pm »

I didn't know Sanders polled well in mental wards.  Hm... if that gives him a shot in Texas that could really shake things up.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10769 on: February 01, 2016, 07:01:44 pm »

Actually, this is a good point...  Clinton has been attacked very heavily, because she's been a prominent player in the game for a long time.

Trump might get killed in the general election, with half the country digging into his history and dredging up the terrible shit he's done.

... And similarly, Sanders is putting up a bit of a facade.  We don't even know his religion, really!  I mean, I'd kill to have a non-deistic president, it's one of the main reasons I like him, but he's so far managed to dodge the questions to some extent.

More generally, every time he's asked a hard question, he gives a simple answer...  But then turns the conversation to campaign finance and big business.  Which are massively important issues that he's on the right side of!  I'm just saying that he might have weaknesses in a general election.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1342