Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544172 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #10305 on: January 26, 2016, 01:31:10 pm »

So... the implication being that white people aren't drug dealers? Or that young non-white girls aren't as important as WHITESARESUPREME?

Fucking nutter, though. I know nothing of executions in how they're carried out, but aren't they kind of public anyway? With a wee gallery for people to watch from?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: January 26, 2016, 01:38:49 pm »

So... the implication being that white people aren't drug dealers? Or that young non-white girls aren't as important as WHITESARESUPREME?

Fucking nutter, though. I know nothing of executions in how they're carried out, but aren't they kind of public anyway? With a wee gallery for people to watch from?

That's not a "public" execution, that's letting the victim's family get closure / official witness that they didn't use brutality or what have you
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: January 26, 2016, 01:39:21 pm »

Well, they're public to a select group of people, it's not like executions you'd see in Medieval period films/shows or Wild West where they were public to everybody. Which is what LePage seems to be implying.

And yeah, LePage is a nutter.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: January 26, 2016, 02:09:30 pm »

I support public hangings for serious crimes like murder or rape.  A few swinging bodies outside a courthouse or in the town square sends a bit of a message.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: January 26, 2016, 02:12:23 pm »

Anything but the Mao suits she likes.
I think Bouchart keeps confusing Hillary with Lo Pan.

I support public hangings for serious crimes like murder or rape.  A few swinging bodies outside a courthouse or in the town square sends a bit of a message.
Yes, that message being that we still think it's 1875. Or if they're black bodies, 1925.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: January 26, 2016, 02:14:41 pm »

hey, it'd work great if the majority of murders and rapes were committed after a careful, rational analysis of the probable costs and benefits

it's a well-known fact that making people afraid of getting caught makes them stop doing bad things in general
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: January 26, 2016, 02:18:30 pm »

hey, it'd work great if the majority of murders and rapes were committed after a careful, rational analysis of the probable costs and benefits

So you are saying that for the public good, economists need to start killing and raping more people?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: January 26, 2016, 02:46:29 pm »

Nah. Baug specified careful and rational.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: January 26, 2016, 02:51:51 pm »

So you are saying that for the public good, economists need to start killing and raping more people?
Objection! You're just asking that because you want a license to kill and rape. Should have joined the police.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: January 26, 2016, 03:14:39 pm »

I think Bauglir is right, but the implication I derive is perhaps not what he intended. In order for executions to have an effect, it should be for opportunistic crimes, and in public. This is true, and I can point to at least one historical (and yet anecdotal) precedent: the brief British takeover of Azerbaijan following the end of WW1.

Put up a gallows with people holding signs for their crimes like "hanged for the theft of a pound of nuts", and I bet crime would drop pretty significantly in the surrounding area. I mean, at least it would stop looting and similar crimes during a disaster pretty quick: "I could go ahead and loot, but on the off-chance I do get caught, it's my head".

So I propose we start hanging thieves, drug-dealers, and basically anything that's not a crime of passion.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: January 26, 2016, 03:32:55 pm »

Do we REALLY want to look like we are regressing back to the 19th century?

Too bad theres no scientific studies on the effectiveness of public vs closed-door executions.

Besides, making executions public will probably just result in the end of death sentences because backlash.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: January 26, 2016, 03:36:33 pm »

don't forget to rule out crimes of desperation - as with lottery tickets, folks will take even options they intellectually know are bad risks if they don't see an alternative

somebody else can probably list other emotional impulses that can lead to criminal behavior, but i have to say, at least you're being consistent, and i applaud this

edit: just to be clear, this does result in a world in which the speeding asshole gets their feet lopped off, the embezzler who destroys thousands of jobs gets their wallet shoved through their colon at high velocity, while the folks who lose control and stab their spouses get therapy for their anger issues and drug addicts get treatment

i therefore can't say it's a scenario entirely without merit
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:40:22 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: January 26, 2016, 03:43:21 pm »

Objection! You're just asking that because you want a license to kill and rape. Should have joined the police.
Nah, then America will hate him.  He should join a gang instead.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: January 26, 2016, 03:50:54 pm »

the embezzler who destroys thousands of jobs gets their wallet shoved through their colon at high velocity

WHERE DO I SIGN UP

But c'mon....we all know that the embezzler would pay off the judge, the jury and the wallet-launching cannoneer and get off with a non-perforated colon. Justice does not function properly in the presence of large amount of money. The only way to have an incorruptible justice system would be to use AIs of some kind, or a blind system where a jury/judge is presented with the facts of a case with all identifying personal information removed, which in itself would pervert justice.

"A person killed another person" could be a murder, a self-defense, a euthanasia situation, involuntary mansalughter, etc.

Nah, then America will hate him.  He should join a gang instead.
Nah, only half of America. The other half will offer him discounts on everything and spring to his defense, as long as he only kills young black men.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: January 26, 2016, 03:53:16 pm »

Yes, that message being that we still think it's 1875. Or if they're black bodies, 1925.
This sounds a lot like an "It's the current year" argument. Which isn't really a valid way to approve or disapprove an action, because all it amounts to is implying that the suggested action is "bad" because it's "out of date" or "not current".

Regardless of what year it is, showing extreme punishments for crimes in public sends a clear message to the public in the area that crime is not being tolerated.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 1342