Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544209 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #10035 on: January 22, 2016, 05:12:20 pm »

Trump is the only one who can save us from the SJW menace.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: January 22, 2016, 05:12:50 pm »

Personally, while speech is free, listening is not. Assholes are free to yell and rant, but we're equally free to filter them out. I mean, if there's a panel discussion about slavery, we're not obligated to invite a guy who wants to turn all black women into his personal sex-slaves to the discussion, for "balance".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: January 22, 2016, 05:18:10 pm »

Agreeing with one thing a person says isn't the same as agreeing with everything that person says.

The problem isn't that he agreed with one thing, the problem is that a retweet links the other guy's whole account to your entire  audience, it's a tacit endorsement.

An analogy would be the difference between saying "I am a vegetarian" vs saying "Just like the Fuhrer Adolf Hitler, I am a vegetarian". "I am a vegetarian" is the content of both messages, and you could claim "well, he just agreed with Adolf Hitler on this one little thing, that's not the same as agreeing with everything that person says", but the fact is that the message and the identity is intertwined on twitter.

And the fact that Trump has posts from Neo-nazis coming down his wire in the first place, that's also part of the message here. "well he just happened to respond to a neo-nazi, could happen to anyone" doesn't really cut it. You gotta be listening in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:26:16 pm by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: January 22, 2016, 05:30:36 pm »

Idk, i don't think that's a good summary of what happened here. What actually happened is that a presidential candidate retweeted a message from an overt neo-nazi. This expresses support for not just the message, but expresses that the neo-nazi guy is a legitimate voice that should be listened to on a national stage.

The twitter account Trump retweeted uses the founder of the US Nazi party as his avatar, and lists "Jewmerica" as his location, amongst other things. Basically, it's just incredibly embarrassing that a presidential candidate could be that clueless.

Personally, while speech is free, listening is not. Assholes are free to yell and rant, but we're equally free to filter them out. I mean, if there's a panel discussion about slavery, we're not obligated to invite a guy who wants to turn all black women into his personal sex-slaves to the discussion, for "balance".

Except the neo-nazi was basically just tweeting a dank election race maymay mocking Jeb. Nothing to do with any of his neo-nazi values. It'd be a completely different situation if Trump retweeted a post from a neo-nazi saying something like "Trump is the next Fuhrer" or "gas the Muslims, race war now" or "Hitler did nothing wrong".

It seems like an overreaction. It sounds like the whole "issue" that article is making out of it boils down to this hypothetical argument: "look how this radical supporter posted this cute cat image! clearly because it was posted by a radical, the image supports this radical belief and anyone who likes this cute cat image is also a radical!"
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: January 22, 2016, 05:35:27 pm »

Since when has politics not been full of over-reactions?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: January 22, 2016, 05:39:22 pm »

Since when has politics not been full of over-reactions?
...good point.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: January 22, 2016, 06:42:52 pm »

In the end I think the biggest point is that if someone is often retweeting stuff from extremists you need to ask why there are so many people like that in their network. e.g. I'm sure there are some perfectly valid articles on StormFront, but if someone is often using StormFront as a news aggregator source, I'd definitely question their political leanings regardless of how inoffensive the specific StormFront articles are.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: January 22, 2016, 07:02:32 pm »

Plus the fact that he has disavowed the support of the KKK grand wizard or something, and yet, he appears to support the same kind of extremist white supremacist stuff. For a politician, image is everything, but Trump doesn't seem to care what his external image is (how others view him), only his internal image (aka his narcississisic ego).

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: January 22, 2016, 07:02:40 pm »

time for the monthly school shooting! ya! and its in... Canada?  ???

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10044 on: January 22, 2016, 07:03:49 pm »

In the end I think the biggest point is that if someone is often retweeting stuff from extremists you need to ask why there are so many people like that in their network.
Trump will make anime real obv.

e.g. I'm sure there are some perfectly valid articles on StormFront, but if someone is often using StormFront as a news aggregator source, I'd definitely question their political leanings regardless of how inoffensive the specific StormFront articles are.
SF a shit, not even weaboo degenerates

Also seriously though if we disqualify politicians for the caliber of their supporters we should just give up on democracy because we'll never elect anyone

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: January 22, 2016, 07:04:57 pm »

Also seriously though if we disqualify politicians for the caliber of their supporters we should just give up on democracy because we'll never elect anyone

Doing this is a well-known logical fallacy - fallacy by association.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: January 22, 2016, 07:05:36 pm »

Inb4 the gun nuts latch onto that as proof that gun laws don't stop mass shootings. Then again, it's Canada, who cares*.

*To Canadian forumites: That wasn't said in a serious way.

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: January 22, 2016, 07:06:55 pm »

Inb4 the gun nuts latch onto that as proof that gun laws don't stop mass shootings. Then again, it's Canada, who cares*.

Give me one piece of proper evidence that gun laws DO stop mass shootings.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: January 22, 2016, 07:07:29 pm »

Australia enacted them and had a statistically significant drop in attacks.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: January 22, 2016, 07:09:07 pm »

The fact that other countries have far fewer mass shootings that we do?
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1342