Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545033 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #9885 on: January 19, 2016, 08:59:32 pm »

That someone got away with something similar in the past, and how shitty the Bush administration was in general, is entirely irrelevant. Blatant disregard for the rules (as she has demonstrably shown) should carry consequences regardless of how important the person is. Hell, especially so for important people. The rules they can break for their own gain/convenience are on a whole different level as far as screwing over everyone else goes.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:48 pm »

Huh, thanks for the explanations.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9887 on: January 19, 2016, 09:11:36 pm »

That someone got away with something similar in the past, and how shitty the Bush administration was in general, is entirely irrelevant. Blatant disregard for the rules (as she has demonstrably shown) should carry consequences regardless of how important the person is. Hell, especially so for important people. The rules they can break for their own gain/convenience are on a whole different level as far as screwing over everyone else goes.

The problem, as wierd said earlier, is how do you deal with the sensitive information as evidence without doing some sort of secret court (which itself is illegal). Maybe they could use the system that they use to convict spies and those that sell state secrets and stuff, but she didn't do any of that.

The whole thing is so heavily politicized that I don't think they'd be able to get an impartial jury anyway, even if they were somehow able to get around (or through) the security clearances.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:14:08 pm by smjjames »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: January 19, 2016, 09:50:37 pm »

Trade secrets exist for precedent.

But yeah, finding a jury is probably the Really Hard BitTM.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9889 on: January 19, 2016, 09:53:01 pm »

Find some dudes who speak the relevant language from a different country who have no vested interest whatsoever other than 'we'll pay you if you're honest, and sue you if you get bribed'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9890 on: January 19, 2016, 09:56:19 pm »

Not possible under US law, and even if it were so, would be rife with all kinds of corruption problems.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9891 on: January 19, 2016, 10:02:12 pm »

I never said it was currently possible. I just said we could do it. If it's secret, not too much room for corruption, as long as everyone's got eagle eyes on everyone else.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9892 on: January 19, 2016, 10:08:07 pm »

Trade secrets exist for precedent.

But yeah, finding a jury is probably the Really Hard BitTM.

Trade secrets like the specific recipe to something or a manufacturing method is one thing, national secrets are another thing entirely.

Find some dudes who speak the relevant language from a different country who have no vested interest whatsoever other than 'we'll pay you if you're honest, and sue you if you get bribed'.

How even would that work? Besides, jurors don't get paid in the first place (other than maybe compensation for their time).

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: January 19, 2016, 10:13:36 pm »

Blatant disregard for the rules (as she has demonstrably shown)

Please, regale us with the laws that she has broken.  Since it's blatant it should be obvious to everyone and there should be very obvious.  Blatant is not a synonym with "arguably" or "technically".

Quote from: google
bla·tant
ˈblātnt
adjective
(of bad behavior) done openly and unashamedly.
"blatant lies"
synonyms:   flagrant, glaring, obvious, undisguised, unconcealed, open; More
completely lacking in subtlety; very obvious.

The problem, as wierd said earlier, is how do you deal with the sensitive information as evidence without doing some sort of secret court (which itself is illegal).

Grand juries do secret courts all the time.  Mostly for organized crime.

The actual problem is that in order to have a trial, there needs to be an accusation.  Something that has never happened

Imagine if someone went through your life with a fine tooth comb.  If they wouldn't find some where or other that you slipped up you are a much better person then me.  Yet everyone is shocked, shocked that the fishing expedition was able to turn up this trivial bullshit.  If this is the best they can turn up after so much scrutiny I think that speaks rather well to the womans character.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: January 19, 2016, 10:16:34 pm »

Imagine if someone went through your life with a fine tooth comb.  If they wouldn't find some where or other that you slipped up you are a much better person then me.  Yet everyone is shocked, shocked that the fishing expedition was able to turn up this trivial bullshit.  If this is the best they can turn up after so much scrutiny I think that speaks rather well to the womans character.
Hell, I've made like ten Holocaust jokes in the past week - and even one would be sufficient to keep me from ever getting elected in my country. And I hope you all agree that I'd make for at least an acceptable president :3
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: January 19, 2016, 10:17:32 pm »

Well it's been a very special week for Germany after all.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: January 19, 2016, 10:19:06 pm »

It goes something like this:

Clinton becomes Secretary of State.
She creates email server for personal use.
Aides and other staffers tell her that the server violates policy, and why.
Clinton uses it anyway.
(More fun fact as an aside, an aide in the clinton secretary of state run state department is booted out for similar offense. Documents indicate clinton was aware of this.)

After ceasing to be secretary of state, the issue of her continued use of this server, reaches political rhetoric level, and scandal erupts.

She knew that it was against policy, but continued to do it. Knew about someone getting fired for the same thing. Continued to do it.

Blatant disregard.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: January 19, 2016, 10:19:37 pm »

Palin backs Trump.

As an aside, is it necessary to be pro-life to be properly conservative in 'murrica?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: January 19, 2016, 10:20:24 pm »

She knew that it was against policy, but continued to do it. Knew about someone getting fired for the same thing. Continued to do it.

Blatant disregard.

I think that the lack of blatantness rather speaks for itself.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: January 19, 2016, 10:22:20 pm »

Hell, I've made like ten Holocaust jokes in the past week - and even one would be sufficient to keep me from ever getting elected in my country. And I hope you all agree that I'd make for at least an acceptable president :3

I think you mean Prime Minister, the President position in Germany isn't much more than a figurehead and diplomatic position, so I'm told.
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 1342