Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546059 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Netflix and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #9705 on: January 15, 2016, 11:36:21 am »

Ben Carson just cited internet comments as evidence we've lost our Judeo-Christian roots.
Nice, he found my posts

Edit: Oh just listened, and he sounds a lot like a notable liberal personality.  "Internet comments are awful"
Of course he considers it a failing of our judeo-christian roots though, of course.  Secularism is what makes people mean to each other, right...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:40:46 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9706 on: January 15, 2016, 12:48:59 pm »

God is dead, therefore you suck and should be dead too.

Yeah, I'm not feeling it.

Now I could accept Internet trolls as evidence that there is no God...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9707 on: January 15, 2016, 01:11:33 pm »

Ted Cruz actually got a birther lawsuit called on him (I wonder why nobody attempted to do that on Obama?) http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/15/politics/ted-cruz-donald-trump-birther-movement-marco-rubio/index.html

If he gets some delegates before being legally disqualified, I wonder what happens to the delegates? I think this might be uncharted territory because AFAIK, any delegates a candidate wins, stay with the candidate, even after they drop out.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9708 on: January 15, 2016, 01:22:04 pm »

So uh....the Dow is down 450 points, and the OPEC basket price on crude oil is down to $25 (Brent Crude is below $30), at levels not seen since early 2004.

I feel like I'm watching my retirement just withering away before my eyes.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9709 on: January 15, 2016, 01:36:51 pm »

Man, I'm sorry for you, but there's no way I'd put my savings on the stock market. I'd rather buy Bitcoins.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9710 on: January 15, 2016, 01:43:01 pm »

Agreed. I learned that back when the recession took half of one of my friend's college fund.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9711 on: January 15, 2016, 01:48:12 pm »

Yeah, well 401(k)'s don't give you a lot of non-stock options. I could go all bonds, but then I'm not making any more money than I would by putting it in a bank savings account.

And if I pull it out to invest in another fashion, I get nailed for the withdrawal penalty.

Just have to hope that the market bounces back and that I can time my retirement (haha as if) to coincide with a bull market.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9712 on: January 15, 2016, 01:49:46 pm »

I'd rather buy Bitcoins.
that is a terrible idea for exactly the same reasons as the stock market can be, only to a much greater extent

generally speaking, the stock market's a good idea as long as you're not picking individual stocks yourself - which redking almost certainly wasn't

unfortunately fusterclucks that take down the entire market are the one sure way to destroy a well-diversified portfolio

i don't mean to go all mainiac on y'all but the general trend is upward, and at a higher rate than a savings account, and moreover most retirement plans don't actually give you a choice

EDIT: ninja
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9713 on: January 15, 2016, 01:52:31 pm »

At least I've avoided energy stocks where I can. Although since a lot of my portfolio is in mutual funds, I don't have a lot of control.

I used to do the individual stock picking thing back in the late 90's (when I didn't actually have any money to invest) and did well, but then EVERYONE did well. It was hard to lose money during the dot-com bubble.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9714 on: January 15, 2016, 02:02:13 pm »

Agreed. I learned that back when the recession took half of one of my friend's college fund.

Man, I'm sorry for you, but there's no way I'd put my savings on the stock market. I'd rather buy Bitcoins.

>MFW
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9715 on: January 15, 2016, 04:14:56 pm »

The recession took half of my college fund. So much money...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9716 on: January 15, 2016, 05:01:35 pm »

So what, you put all your money into stocks in 2007 and enjoyed none of the gains before that?  You took all your money out of stocks in 2008 and enjoyed none of the recovery?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9717 on: January 15, 2016, 05:09:34 pm »

So what, you put all your money into stocks in 2007 and enjoyed none of the gains before that?  You took all your money out of stocks in 2008 and enjoyed none of the recovery?
I don't see what point you're trying to make here, and don't care either.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9718 on: January 15, 2016, 05:27:13 pm »

I don't see what point you're trying to make here, and don't care either.
Looks like innocent questions, though personal

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9719 on: January 15, 2016, 05:32:47 pm »

i'm gonna assume his parents put the money they were saving for his college fund into stocks because that was the responsible thing to do at the time, and then when he needed to go to college (perhaps in 2008, 2009, i don't remember how old he is), much of the money that had been counted on to pay those bills was not there

mainiac, i'm on your side when it comes to the expected payout of investments, but you seem to be being a dick about it, and not even a clever one, at least if your questions are supposed to represent skepticism

EDIT: I was a little too inflamatory, edited to be a bit easier to read and to make clearer why i have the impression i do
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:55:28 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 1342