Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548509 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Netflix and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #9450 on: January 10, 2016, 07:09:26 pm »

Wait, flatlanders and wannabe France? Won't somebody think of the children waffles!? #probablynotasfunnyasithink
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9451 on: January 10, 2016, 07:36:36 pm »

We do it all the time here in Europe. Most West-European and Scandinavian countries still are monarchies. Or if you want, hybrids between constituional monarchy and parliamentary democracy. Monarchs do provide some extra stability.
I think if Belgium didn't still have a monarch, it'd have fallen apart into Flanders and Wallonnabee France decades ago.
Constitutional monarchies don't count, they're a different beast entirely.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9452 on: January 10, 2016, 07:39:56 pm »

Thing about the Constitution is that attempting to abolish it would result in a civil war and probable coup in which the government would lose horribly. The Constitution would then be re-instated.

Thing about the Monarchy is that attempting to abolish it would result in a civil war and probable coup in which the people I dont like would lose horribly.  The Monarchy would then be re-instated.
Thing about the Shogunate is that attempting to abolish it would result in a civil war and probable coup in which the people I dont like would lose horribly.  The Shogunate would then be re-instated.
Thing about the Peoples One Party Rule is that attempting to abolish it would result in a civil war and probable coup in which the people I dont like would lose horribly.  The peoples rule would then be re-instated.
Thing about the Baathist revolutionary state is that attempting to abolish it would result in a civil war and probable coup in which the people I dont like would lose horribly.  The Baath Party would then be re-instated.
That isn't even an argument. It is a fact that the Constitution has vast popular support, and comparing it to dictatorial regimes is absurd flamebait.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: January 10, 2016, 07:47:57 pm »

It's pointing out that the exact same claim is valid for many forms of government.  Or is it not self evident that all those governments have or had their loyalists?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9454 on: January 10, 2016, 07:50:05 pm »

The point he's making, Morrigi, is that it's not an intrinsic feature to the Constitution. The Constitution serves the same purpose a Monarch does in a Constitutional Monarchy. It's a figurehead. It also happens to combine the law-making part into itself, which is what makes it seem unique; we place our nation's sacred honor not with King and Country, or God and Neighbor, but with Ideals and State.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9455 on: January 11, 2016, 12:55:03 am »

I just watched that about a week ago.  I had mixed feelings.  It sort of blurs together the three different problems of stupidity, moral hazard and defrauding investors.  All three are really big problems and need to be addressed.  Only the third one should be addressed by putting a bunch of bankers in jail where they belong for this activity which was illegal at the time as well as highly unethical.  But it's perhaps the smallest of the three problems in terms of the damage it did.  The movie sort of portrays it as being at the center of everything.  It true that all three problems were tied together but it's not like the grand plan in 2005 was to defraud investors in summer 2007 so it represented a climax.  But hey, movies need climaxes.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9456 on: January 11, 2016, 01:49:46 am »

Thing about the Constitution is that attempting to abolish it would result in a civil war and probable coup in which the government would lose horribly. The Constitution would then be re-instated.

Thing about the Monarchy is that attempting to abolish it would result in a civil war and probable coup in which the people I dont like would lose horribly.  The Monarchy would then be re-instated.
Thing about the Shogunate is that attempting to abolish it would result in a civil war and probable coup in which the people I dont like would lose horribly.  The Shogunate would then be re-instated.
Thing about the Peoples One Party Rule is that attempting to abolish it would result in a civil war and probable coup in which the people I dont like would lose horribly.  The peoples rule would then be re-instated.
Thing about the Baathist revolutionary state is that attempting to abolish it would result in a civil war and probable coup in which the people I dont like would lose horribly.  The Baath Party would then be re-instated.
That isn't even an argument. It is a fact that the Constitution has vast popular support, and comparing it to dictatorial regimes is absurd flamebait.
Wait, I thought he was making a snide comment about regimes/forms of government that everyone said could never fail, because revolutionaries would just re-institute it anyway.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9457 on: January 11, 2016, 02:56:29 am »

Wait, I thought he was making a snide comment about regimes/forms of government that everyone said could never fail, because revolutionaries would just re-institute it anyway.
That's definitely how I read it. Ooh, ooh, he forgot to mention the Soviet Union!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: January 11, 2016, 03:49:57 am »

He didn't forget that: "People's One Party Rule" is a direct reference to the Soviets.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9459 on: January 11, 2016, 05:06:37 am »

I think we need a Church of Mainiac thread were we analyze His posts to devine their meaning.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9460 on: January 11, 2016, 05:12:34 am »

Magic 8 ball is what we need.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: January 11, 2016, 08:19:11 am »

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9462 on: January 11, 2016, 10:59:09 am »

I think we need a Church of Mainiac thread were we analyze His posts to devine their meaning.
Dibs on being the High Priest of Maniac.

I wonder, what would the Bay12 pantheon look like if we put forumites in there OotS-style?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9463 on: January 11, 2016, 11:06:07 am »

Hard to make a pantheon if it's just one guy with a bunch of alts.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: January 11, 2016, 11:14:46 am »

Is some hindu branches that manage just fine. Trinitarian christian sects do alright with a few, too. Not very hard at all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 1342