Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549403 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Netflix and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #9315 on: January 06, 2016, 08:41:40 pm »

I mean yeah, the TSA has a shit record of actual prevented hijacks.  But just because nobody assaults your wall, doesn't mean they wouldn't have raided you if the wall wasn't there.  That's pretty obvious right?  That security dissuades attempts?
That seems like a reasonable assertion, yes.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9316 on: January 06, 2016, 08:42:12 pm »

The issue comes in when you realize that the wall is made of spray foam and the guards are MGS-style cardboard cutouts. HomeSec tries to smuggle shit past the TSA fairly regularly, from weapons to nuclear materials. They are almost never, ever caught. Anybody actually trying to do harm can easily subvert the glorified mall cop standards of the TSA.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: January 06, 2016, 08:46:35 pm »

Yeah... depends on the security. A wall that's crumbly and full of handholds is often worse than no wall at all, because it leads people to wasting resources on areas that aren't an issue and/or focusing away from things that are, among other things. Poorly implemented security is often worse than none, heh. Applies particularly to IT and whatnot, but the sentiment is fairly universal.

We don't really have any meaningful data that the TSA et al bullshit hasn't been straight up counterproductive. It's definitely been, to all appearances, mostly useless and freakishly cost inefficient. If there's any deterrence going on, it's harder to tell than it normally is for such things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: January 06, 2016, 08:54:26 pm »

BTW, Trump is doing the whole 'birther' thing on Cruz. http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/politics/ted-cruz-birthplace-donald-trump/index.html

At least this time, it's actually legitimate concerns rather than manufactured concerns.

He only lived in Canada until he was 3 and has an American mother, so, it's not like he wasn't in the US for much of his life.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: January 06, 2016, 08:56:45 pm »

150 years later, Alabama still does not understand how federalism works.
I heard this on NPR today and it made me... I want to say mad, but mostly sad?
But more than that, I'm someone who believes in the federal government with a fanatical desperation.  And between this and the Bundy militia, I'm losing faith.  If I'm going to keep believing in the system, it really needs to crack down HARD to enforce things.  When there's no question...  These are really common sense.  Same-sex marriage isn't some atrocity that should be illegal, and violent militias should be shut down as efficiently and bloodlessly as possible.

I am very liberal in that I want a big government that does its godsdamn job.  And I want to believe.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: January 06, 2016, 08:57:50 pm »

BTW, Trump is doing the whole 'birther' thing on Cruz. http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/politics/ted-cruz-birthplace-donald-trump/index.html

At least this time, it's actually legitimate concerns rather than manufactured concerns.

He only lived in Canada until he was 3 and has an American mother, so, it's not like he wasn't in the US for much of his life.
Holy shit, it actually happened. Based Trump making the world a better place, one meme at a time.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: January 06, 2016, 09:01:15 pm »

For what it's worth, Rol, the guy that gave the order has already been kicked out of his position once (got re-elected, but still) and is probably about to get kicked out of it again. It won't stand for very long, and it's fairly arguable it's standing at all as is. Dude's mostly just doing it to be a lil'shit about it, fairly standard practice for alabama.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: January 06, 2016, 09:04:48 pm »

For what it's worth, Rol, the guy that gave the order has already been kicked out of his position once (got re-elected, but still) and is probably about to get kicked out of it again. It won't stand for very long, and it's fairly arguable it's standing at all as is. Dude's mostly just doing it to be a lil'shit about it, fairly standard practice for alabama.
Oh, good.  Was worried it'd turn into another huge multi-month "thing" where we discussed whether a federal employee had to obey their oath and do their fucking job.  (In the absence of any actually harmful orders, just issuing fricken marriage licenses)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: January 06, 2016, 09:25:22 pm »

Eh, moore's not a federal employee -- elected state-level judge. High up, insofar as that goes, but no more than that. It may indeed take a bit for everything to get processed and the jackass to get the boot again, but there's not really much question of the order sticking. Though there is the possibility it doesn't happen fast enough for the blighter's term to not just end... iirc, he's on his last one, so folks may just more or less shrug their shoulders and wait for 'im to go away. Not sure how much I'd blame people for deciding alabama just isn't worth the effort >_>

Fun bit is that any judges that follow moore's ruling may actually be liable to face contempt of court charges if they do, ehehe. Neat lil' casual write up on some of the history involved, that I ran across on a different forum.
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: January 06, 2016, 10:41:31 pm »

Not sure how much I'd blame people for deciding alabama just isn't worth the effort >_>
When I first read this, I was thinking in terms of "We've decided you're just not worth keeping in the United States, Alabama."

I'm still thinking that, actually. Would provide a nice emigration option for the Confederate flag crowd and people like the Bundys too. Of course, we'd have to build a wall around it (and make them pay for it).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: January 06, 2016, 10:52:35 pm »

Of course, it wouldn't do to create a new state entirely surrounded by another state. Thus, we should also found the greater empire of north carolina.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: January 06, 2016, 10:55:37 pm »

Even still, Ted Cruz is a US citizen and can be president. (If the government decided that Ted Cruz was ineligible, they'd have to kick Obama out as well  :P) So Trump is wrong about that as well, Obama is a US citizen.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: January 06, 2016, 11:18:21 pm »

Of course, it wouldn't do to create a new state entirely surrounded by another state. Thus, we should also found the greater empire of north carolina.
Hmm...I don't know if we want our border reaching all the way to Alabama. That would mean annexing Georgia and Tennessee. I rather like the idea of the United States acting as a buffer state between us and Alabamastan.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: January 06, 2016, 11:28:27 pm »

Even still, Ted Cruz is a US citizen and can be president. (If the government decided that Ted Cruz was ineligible, they'd have to kick Obama out as well  :P) So Trump is wrong about that as well, Obama is a US citizen.
That's actually not completely true. If the deciding factor is literally being born from an American onto American soil, then Obama qualifies and Cruz doesn't.
Hmm...I don't know if we want our border reaching all the way to Alabama. That would mean annexing Georgia and Tennessee. I rather like the idea of the United States acting as a buffer state between us and Alabamastan.
We can always carve out the halfway-valuable parts of Georgia and leave the rest, this will also give us an excuse to dismantle Atlanta and carry their infrastructure back off to the Triangle.

Tennessee, on the other hand, should probably be made a penal colony.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: January 07, 2016, 12:49:22 am »

Tennessee, on the other hand, should probably be made a penal colony.

Don't you want control of the bourbon wells?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1342