Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549538 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Netflix and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #9300 on: January 06, 2016, 05:37:49 pm »

It's fine, the TSA continues to do their job. Absorb obscene amounts of government money for imagined security.
http://www.thewire.com/national/2014/01/tsa-business-security-theater-not-security/357599
Even the avatars expire eventually.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9302 on: January 06, 2016, 05:46:39 pm »

Heh...that was at RDU. The TSA there does seem pretty strict compared to other airports I go through (and unfortunately, RDU is my home airport). But then I was usually flashing Justice Dept credentials when I went through. Did have to do the millimeter-wave scanner one time though. Hope they enjoyed looking at my junk.
Really? I'm decently traveled, and while I've encountered significantly less rigorous TSA than RDU (Kansas City, also my most hated airport in the world, comes to mind), they don't seem particularly strict. If anything, Charlotte is the more strict one.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9303 on: January 06, 2016, 05:49:10 pm »

I've gotten more stuff confiscated from tolietry bag in Omaha than in any other major US airport. And at this point, I've been flown through most of the major US hubs in the last 3 years.

Generally it seems like the smaller airports with lower traffic have stricter enforcement, because there's the time and manpower to devote to it, without bringing the entire line to a halt.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: January 06, 2016, 05:56:49 pm »

It's fine, the TSA continues to do their job. Absorb obscene amounts of government money for imagined security.
http://www.thewire.com/national/2014/01/tsa-business-security-theater-not-security/357599
You wonder if the TSA budget is the new funnel for black ops funding...."uh yeah, we totally need 7 billion to hire these Wal-Mart greeters to tell you when to step into the metal detector"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9305 on: January 06, 2016, 05:59:40 pm »

You wonder if the TSA budget is the new funnel for black ops funding...."uh yeah, we totally need 7 billion to hire these Wal-Mart greeters to tell you when to step into the metal detector"

I assumed it was bloat, in the form of favorable contracts, buying equipment from friends for "as much as you want, the government is paying for it," spurious administrative positions, and other such graft.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: January 06, 2016, 06:02:33 pm »

Also, MSH, the security at Kansas City is privately contracted, not TSA-run. Which may explain the difference you noted.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9308 on: January 06, 2016, 06:05:52 pm »

Also, MSH, the security at Kansas City is privately contracted, not TSA-run. Which may explain the difference you noted.
That explains a lot more about MCI than just their TSA. I'll be happy if I never have to deal with the Brutal Octagon again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: January 06, 2016, 06:16:22 pm »

Heh, reminds me of when I was in Prague and someone explained that there were four kinds of police:

Dark blue uniform with "POLICIE", armed with Uzi -- Federal police, scary-looking but professional and trustworthy.
Black uniform with "MESTKA POLICIE" -- Prague city police, also professional and trustworthy.
Bright yellow uniform -- Traffic police, mostly harmless though they can make your life hell by booting your car.
Black uniform, no markings -- Private security guards. AVOID AT ALL COST. Will shake you down for money.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9310 on: January 06, 2016, 07:50:07 pm »

It's not completely inconceivable that someone would give a/their kid the disguised contraband to deflect suspicion. The TSA officer followed the proper and expected procedure, and that's all we can really ask of the guys on the ground. They may have even found a female officer to do it.

That's absurd. Someone could hollow out a baby and put cocaine in it. Someone did do that. That doesn't mean that police officers should stop and frisk anyone with an infant. Every time we accept annother stretch, we give up precious personal dignity for no reason, for no significant gain, the goalposts are moved and we're ready for the next overreach. Twenty years ago, nobody would see a girl with a juice pouch and think "possible terrorist." Picard explains it best.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9311 on: January 06, 2016, 07:56:44 pm »

It's not completely inconceivable that someone would give a/their kid the disguised contraband to deflect suspicion. The TSA officer followed the proper and expected procedure, and that's all we can really ask of the guys on the ground. They may have even found a female officer to do it.

That's absurd. Someone could hollow out a baby and put cocaine in it. Someone did do that. That doesn't mean that police officers should stop and frisk anyone with an infant. Every time we accept annother stretch, we give up precious personal dignity for no reason, for no significant gain, the goalposts are moved and we're ready for the next overreach. Twenty years ago, nobody would see a girl with a juice pouch and think "possible terrorist." Picard explains it best.
wait. someone hollowed out a baby and filled it with drugs. 0_o

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9312 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:16 pm »

Dunno about the details on the hollowing out part, but couriering drugs in the body, including of youngins, is something approaching common...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:32 pm »

wait. someone hollowed out a baby and filled it with drugs. 0_o
He means a baby doll.

please please please tell me you mean a baby doll

EDIT: Oh hallelujah. It's just an urban legend. And an old one at that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:04:17 pm by RedKing »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9314 on: January 06, 2016, 08:24:49 pm »

@Redking
Nice.
And RDU is my airport too, and I've never been frisked or taken aside (I travel for business 1-2 times per year).  Maybe because I...  Don't try to carry containers of liquid over the limit??  Gosh!

My dad has several times, because he's a um...  How to say this so I don't regret it when sober...  Bit of a rebel who pushes laws for the thrill.
I love pushing meaningless rules, but laws?  No thanks.

I mean yeah, the TSA has a shit record of actual prevented hijacks.  But just because nobody assaults your wall, doesn't mean they wouldn't have raided you if the wall wasn't there.  That's pretty obvious right?  That security dissuades attempts?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 1342