Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548746 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #8670 on: December 23, 2015, 05:39:34 pm »

I think the bigger assumption is that criminals are rationally assessing the odds of facing someone with a concealed weapon.  That is a pretty massive and obviously false assumption.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: December 23, 2015, 05:45:11 pm »

Another issue with the "deters crime" issue is that women in the USA are 11 times more likely to be a victim of firearms than other comparable countries. If we take a pragmatic utilitarian viewpoint, then we'd say that if the number of deaths prevented by criminals who fear a gun, must be higher than the number of deaths caused by the guns being around. If something prevents more of a bad thing than it causes, it's a net win.

But the "11 times more likely" statistics are already an aggregate figure, so they already take into account crime-prevention.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:47:41 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: December 23, 2015, 05:47:06 pm »

It also implies that the people carrying concealed weapons are psychologically mature enough to carry them correctly and not pose a menace to public health and safety.

Which is another really big and obviously false assumption.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: December 23, 2015, 05:48:44 pm »

Another issue with the "deters crime" issue is that women in the USA are 11 times more likely to be a victim of firearms than other comparable countries. If we take a pragmatic utilitarian viewpoint, then we'd say that if the number of deaths prevented by criminals who fear a gun, must be higher than the number of deaths caused by the guns being around. If something prevents more of a bad thing than it causes, it's a net win.

But the "11 times more likely" statistics are already an aggregate figure, so they already take into account crime-prevention.
Where's the source for that one? I want to read it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: December 23, 2015, 05:51:11 pm »

Where's the source for that one? I want to read it.

I dont know his source but the CDC has such statistics.  Try page 32 of this: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

Hm, seems like guns kill 6 times as many men as women.  So maybe if we are serious about feminism we need to get a lot of guns and wait for the problem to solve itself.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:56:50 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: December 23, 2015, 05:53:36 pm »

It's about average. USA has 10 times the rate of firearm deaths than my country of Australia, and in general we're not such different countries except in terms of gun laws. So, it's just a straight comparison of the USA numbers vs probably the OECD average.

The Atlantic article has links to papers in the text btw. See the link. You can also try sticking a claim into google directly and finding other articles which reference it, it's an effective way of finding sources.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:59:27 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8676 on: December 23, 2015, 06:01:36 pm »

i can't tell if this is bait, so i'm responding as though it's not, but dude, if somebody's coming toward you after dark then they're probably headed somewhere unrelated and you just happen to occupy a space near the path they plan to take
That's not walking towards you, that's walking by you; commuting does not involve interception
I'm surprised no one's pointed out the retrospectively obvious. Which is that they meant six inches shorter, not six feet. :P
Def, but less fun is there
It's not really a matter of opinion. Let's say the debate is: "more guns, do they make women safer and equalize things?". If you take a look at any real-world statistics, and we have plenty of statistics on all things gun-related, it's clear that they do not.
http://www.salon.com/2015/02/24/%E2%80%9Cwhere_there_are_more_guns_more_women_die%E2%80%9D_a_harvard_public_health_expert_breaks_down_the_data_on_firearms_and_womens_safety/
Why are you citing the pedo magazine? Also women being killed by guns does not speak to whether women armed with guns are more or less likely to die, women only consist of 10% of Murrican gun owners by huffpo's reckoning

The National Crime Victimization Survey shows that guns used in self-defense, by both genders, is a rare event, and it's the sort of thing you're going to remember for the survey, isn't it, that you had to pull a gun on someone to save your life?
"In 2007-11, there were 235,700 victimizations where the victim used a firearm to threaten or attack an offender"
Rare event?
The survey also notes:
"In 2007-11, about 61% of nonfatal firearm violence was reported to the police, compared to 46% of nonfirearm violence (table 10). Among the nonfatal firearm victimizations that went unreported in 2007-11, the most common reasons victims gave for not reporting the crime was fear of reprisal (31%) and that the police could not or would not do anything to help (27%)."
Yah that's hundreds of thousands of people quite chuffed they didn't get fucked up by Salon pedos or cheeki offenders

Perhaps people do pull out guns in self-defense more often than the survey suggests, but those people are apparently not surviving to be part of the survey ... Meanwhile, women are killed by guns much more often than women kill other people with guns.
Also from the survey:
In instances where the victim was armed with a firearm, the offender was also armed with a gun in 32% of the victimizations, compared to 63% of victimizations where the offender was armed with a lesser weapon, such as a knife, or unarmed (not shown in table). A small number of property crime victims also used a firearm in self defense (103,000 victims or about 0.1% of all property victimizations); however, the majority of victims (86%) were not present during the incident."
In the majority of cases where an attacker attacked an armed civilian they were outgunned or unarmed! Ha, gonna get culturally equalized
Also read the survey yourself, don't trust pedos reading the survey to tell you what they want

Safer for women, right. That's really born out by the murder rates.
By that logic Obama should disarm all African Americans
Also concurred, cannot find what the Atlantic was citing

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: December 23, 2015, 06:04:34 pm »

So maybe if we are serious about feminism we need to get a lot of guns and wait for the problem to solve itself.
what
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: December 23, 2015, 06:07:20 pm »

So maybe if we are serious about feminism we need to get a lot of guns and wait for the problem to solve itself.
what

I'm not saying do it, I'm just wondering aloud if it would work.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8679 on: December 23, 2015, 06:08:14 pm »

what
Real womyn shoot Warhol

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: December 23, 2015, 07:26:27 pm »

> calls entire staff of magazine pedos

What is your major malfunction?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8681 on: December 23, 2015, 07:47:52 pm »

I dunno what gave me that impression of Salon

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: December 23, 2015, 08:20:00 pm »

Throw it in the Europe-Russia-Korea thread. Given enough time, DPRK will be only thread that the board needs.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: December 23, 2015, 08:25:17 pm »

Throw it in the Europe-Russia-Korea thread. Given enough time, DPRK will be only thread that the board needs.
DPRK thread best thread.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1342