Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548665 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #8640 on: December 23, 2015, 12:58:10 pm »

Well it's illegal.  The law probably does about as much deterrence of mugging as the guns do utterance of muggings but if the police do happen to detain someone with a concealed gun in a state where it's illegal that person can be put in jail.
Is attacking someone to steal their shit not illegal in America?

I don't get the logic for carrying a concealed weapon to protect against a mugger. The mugger(s) is going to already have their weapon out & they are not exactly going to let you rummage around in your handbag to get the weapon out.
If you're the average woman walking home in the night and you see a 6"2 100 kilo man walking towards you down the street, would you rather be armed or unarmed?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8641 on: December 23, 2015, 01:04:28 pm »

Well it's illegal.  The law probably does about as much deterrence of mugging as the guns do utterance of muggings but if the police do happen to detain someone with a concealed gun in a state where it's illegal that person can be put in jail.
Is attacking someone to steal their shit not illegal in America?

Depends on what time frame you're looking at. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: December 23, 2015, 01:05:10 pm »

Guys you DO realize you are sliding toward the gun control debate again, right?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8643 on: December 23, 2015, 01:08:05 pm »

I don't get the logic for carrying a concealed weapon to protect against a mugger. The mugger(s) is going to already have their weapon out & they are not exactly going to let you rummage around in your handbag to get the weapon out.
If you're the average woman walking home in the night and you see a 6"2 100 kilo man walking towards you down the street, would you rather be armed or unarmed?
I'd rather not be the sort of self-absorbed ass that assumes every person they happen across is as interested in them and their shit as they are?

An issue being there's nothing stopping the mugger from also carrying a concealed weapon with which to mug you :0
Nothing ever stopping a mugger from doing so
Except, k'now, lack of availability. And I gotta say, if I had to choose between getting into a shootout with a mugger who also had a gun versus running the hell away from one who had a knife or table leg or whatever... I know which situation I'd rather be in.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8644 on: December 23, 2015, 01:10:46 pm »

Well I'm not 100 kilos but I do tend to be walking down the street at night & I don't particularly want to be shot at or have a gun pulled on me. I'd actually rather be unarmed, I'm not a woman but I don't see why you think that makes a heck of a difference to your question, guys do get mugged as well.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8645 on: December 23, 2015, 01:16:54 pm »

I don't need weapons because these fists are deadly weapons! (Attempts to do a karate kick, falls over)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8646 on: December 23, 2015, 01:36:26 pm »

I don't need weapons because these fists are deadly weapons! (Attempts to do a karate kick, falls over)

Congrats on winning the support of the yardies.

----------------------------------------

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8647 on: December 23, 2015, 02:04:01 pm »

I'd rather not be the sort of self-absorbed ass that assumes every person they happen across is as interested in them and their shit as they are?
Self preservation instincts are synonymous to narcissism with you?

Except, k'now, lack of availability. And I gotta say, if I had to choose between getting into a shootout with a mugger who also had a gun versus running the hell away from one who had a knife or table leg or whatever... I know which situation I'd rather be in.
In a situation where I cannot run the hell away I'd take having a fighting chance over being at my attacker's mercy

Well I'm not 100 kilos but I do tend to be walking down the street at night & I don't particularly want to be shot at or have a gun pulled on me. I'd actually rather be unarmed, I'm not a woman but I don't see why you think that makes a heck of a difference to your question, guys do get mugged as well.
Because the average woman is 6 ft shorter than the average man and half as heavy, can't run away or fight as unless their attacker's been doing too much drugs they will be in better shape and better strength. Guns are pretty good equalizers in that regard. I suppose it's a matter of opinion; I do not have the option of legally being armed but would have appreciated it in the past, less so now. And yeah sure guys get mugged but guys have an easier time getting out of muggings and not getting into them in the first place. They don't walk around with as much stuff to mug outside of city centres where all the police are and what stuff they've got worth jacking is not worth fighting some big bloke over. Snatch a handbag, don't require much effort and you've just nabbed a phone, bag, purse and lol, if you kept a gun in there they're pawning that too xD
Of all the muggings of women in my family the three most notable ones, one was solved by wrestling a knife from a weak junkie, one was solved by tricking the mugger into thinking she only had a fiver and the last jumped into a river leaving a very shocked mugger behind and a story which the police just loved. There was also a stalker who panicked and up and run when she started loudly shouting down the phone there was some fucking mug trailing her
For guys? Nah, step 1 to not getting mugged for a guy is just look as big and poor as fucking possible and step 2 is bring some m8s

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WHEN WILL OBAMA END THIS SICK MADNESS?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: December 23, 2015, 02:05:58 pm »

if they're triggered by something as lame as a tall dude walking toward you at night, yeah, probably

we gotta get places somehow

and sometimes we gotta do that after dark, there's no helping it
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8649 on: December 23, 2015, 02:10:55 pm »

if they're triggered by something as lame as a tall dude walking toward you at night, yeah, probably
we gotta get places somehow
and sometimes we gotta do that after dark, there's no helping it
Some big guy coming towards you after dark they're either trying to buy drugs, mug you or they know you ;)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: December 23, 2015, 02:12:05 pm »

That's not true. They could be trying to sell drugs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: December 23, 2015, 02:16:02 pm »

Hmm, you're right. The situation in question is much closer to paranoia, or possibly a phobic disorder.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8652 on: December 23, 2015, 02:18:48 pm »

Some big guy coming towards you after dark they're either trying to buy drugs, mug you or they know you ;)
the fact that you assume somebody walking toward you cares about you is what makes it narcissism

i can't tell if this is bait, so i'm responding as though it's not, but dude, if somebody's coming toward you after dark then they're probably headed somewhere unrelated and you just happen to occupy a space near the path they plan to take
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8653 on: December 23, 2015, 02:20:08 pm »

basically any time someone says something was better at some time in the past its pure bullshit.

Agreed 100%! Maybe even more than 100%
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: December 23, 2015, 02:37:08 pm »

Because the average woman is 6 ft shorter than the average man

All English women confirmed for midgets.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 1342