Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545734 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #8400 on: December 18, 2015, 11:03:32 pm »

Oh wow I thought the goalposts were there in front of me and then all of a sudden they were behind me.  How did I get turned 180 degrees like that?

???
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:05:38 pm by smjjames »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: December 18, 2015, 11:05:07 pm »

I was wondering how Sanders would end up getting shot out of the race, but I wasn't expecting him to get Watergated out. I agree with hector that it's unfair to punish a candidate like this for the actions of their campaign staff (and I'd still feel that way if it were Clinton, as much as I dislike her), but it's not exactly an unreasonable reaction from the DNC. I can't imagine any way this goes that Sanders comes out on top from this. Maybe still too early to call it curtains, but this is probably the best thing the Clinton campaign could've hoped to happen.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: December 18, 2015, 11:15:02 pm »

Even if he got booted from the Democrat party, it won't stop him from going independent. While he could prove to be a significant thorn in Clintons side if he does that, 52% or something of his supporters said that they'd be ok with Clinton as the nominee, so how much he would actually pull away from Clinton is less certain. However, given how close general elections usually are, it wouldn't take a whole lot of pull to do the spoiler effect.

If one of the Republicans decides to break away and go Independent (Trump maybe), it's going to be an interesting contest come November.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: December 18, 2015, 11:27:48 pm »

Yeah, he could still be a spoiler, especially since whatever agreements he has or hasn't made to stick with the democratic party are probably irrelevant now. Trump though, I'm actually convinced he wouldn't run as an independent. I think there was such a strong assumption that he would break his agreement not to go independent that he's gone far in the other direction, and now it'd be really surprising to me if he did break it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: December 18, 2015, 11:51:55 pm »

i think nobody will care and i will have no real effect because the election is still a year away. seriously the American public doesn't really care or have a particularly long memory. remember the Clinton email..? oh ya probably not.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: December 18, 2015, 11:58:11 pm »

i think nobody will care and i will have no real effect because the election is still a year away. seriously the American public doesn't really care or have a particularly long memory. remember the Clinton email..? oh ya probably not.

More like everybody but the Republicans in congress got bored with it. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, this is just some spat and drama that will blow over. Unless it explodes bigger somehow.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: December 19, 2015, 12:04:16 am »

remember the Clinton email..? oh ya probably not.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: December 19, 2015, 12:06:16 am »

Poll: 30% of GOP voters support bombing the Kingdom of Agrabah. Well 19% of Dems also support bombing Agrabah, whereas 36% are opposed. The numbers are 30% pro-bombing and 13% anti-bombing for the Republicans.

According to the PPP, “[Donald] Trump is at 45% with Republicans who want to bomb Aladdin and only 22% with ones who don’t want to bomb Aladdin.”

Not surprisingly, Donald Trump polls much higher with people who are out of touch with reality.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:11:35 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: December 19, 2015, 12:09:16 am »

I was wondering how Sanders would end up getting shot out of the race, but I wasn't expecting him to get Watergated out.

I will bet you money that he is not kicked out of the race over this.

Poll: 30% of GOP voters support bombing a place with an arabic sounding name after two high profile terrorist attacks which lead to airstrikes on places with arabic sounding names.

ftfy

When you get medicine do you do a double blind statistically significant trial to see if it works? No, you assume it works because the person in the white labcoat says it does. Do you know why they wear the labcoats? It's because you are more likely to take medicine from them if they do. They surround the question (take the medicine or not?) with irrelevant information that implies something.

If a pollster asks someone if we should bomb someplace that has an arab sounding name, it's reasonable to assume there is a reason, like that bombing campaign going on because of those arab terrorist attacks. People think "oh, this bombing has something to do with the terrorists". They do not expect a question about bombing Disneyland. If you want that question then wait for the poll that clearly asks "Should we bomb a random place that has done nothing?"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:11:44 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: December 19, 2015, 12:11:00 am »

Poll: 30% of GOP voters support bombing the Kingdom of Agrabah
Horrible sensationalism for the sake of sensationalism.  Pretty much any other question on that survey could have been genuinely interesting or concerning (say, the 25% who "want to make Islam illegal in the US" - quote from the article, not the survey), but that one?  Let's create a massive survey about measures one is willing to take to combat ISIS and Muslim fundamentalism, then sneak in a reference to a background fact from a movie from over twenty years ago.  Then, we can mock people when they don't catch on immediately, especially since our question doesn't break down answers into "Yes," "no," and "are you [the surveyor] an idiot?"  It's a cheap and petty "gotcha," nothing more.

EDIT:
mainiac has the right of it.  If I ask people about bombing Rakka to combat ISIS, people aren't going to stop and ask, "is this a real city?"  People are going to think, "oh, this person is asking if I support bombing cities in general to combat ISIS."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:15:02 am by Culise »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: December 19, 2015, 12:16:01 am »

You support bombing an anime angel?  What are you, a monster?

Gotcha!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: December 19, 2015, 12:18:48 am »

You support bombing an anime angel?  What are you, a monster?

Gotcha!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: December 19, 2015, 12:21:40 am »

Shouldn't you know what a place is before you are willing to say it should be bombed (or possibly not bombed if people who know more have decided otherwise)? The most honest people were probably the ones who answered neither yes nor no.

EDIT:
mainiac has the right of it.  If I ask people about bombing Rakka to combat ISIS, people aren't going to stop and ask, "is this a real city?"  People are going to think, "oh, this person is asking if I support bombing cities in general to combat ISIS."

... but that's not what the article says they asked:
In its poll, Public Policy Polling asked the 532 Republicans: “Would you support or oppose bombing Agrabah?”

Nothing about ISIS. Unless, of course, The Guardian is lying about what the question is - but they're The Guardian. One of the most trusted news sources in the world.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 1342