Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545672 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #8385 on: December 18, 2015, 10:59:08 am »

Iowa, bros....do you even politics?
i am constantly surrounded by folks saying they like sanders but they don't think he can win the general so they'll caucus for clinton

based on this incredibly anecdotal evidence, i conclude that that's the reason - they want to pick clinton in the primary as the safe bet for the general, but if presented with a situation where that's not an option because sanders already has the nomination, they'll happily vote for him
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8386 on: December 18, 2015, 11:32:09 am »

Iowa, bros....do you even politics?
i am constantly surrounded by folks saying they like sanders but they don't think he can win the general so they'll caucus for clinton

based on this incredibly anecdotal evidence, i conclude that that's the reason - they want to pick clinton in the primary as the safe bet for the general, but if presented with a situation where that's not an option because sanders already has the nomination, they'll happily vote for him
Please point those people in the direction of the library of head-to-head polls which indicate Sanders consistently performs better against the GOP field than Clinton does. It seems this "Sanders can't win the general election" idea is self-fulfilling and flatly wrong.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8387 on: December 18, 2015, 12:40:41 pm »

i'm not saying they're right, i'm saying that's what they think

self-fulfilling it may well be
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: December 18, 2015, 12:42:32 pm »

Polls taken during primary season lose all predictive value about two weeks after the convention.

edit:
It seems that Trump seems to agree with the people who say that the US is a rapacious imperial power, he just thinks it's a good thing rather then a bad one.  Killing journalists, imprisoning opponents and invading countries is leadership.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2015/12/we-are-being-tested-god-were-failing
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:33:51 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: December 18, 2015, 08:21:14 pm »

Yeah, I was gonna my to post the quote this morning from the politico or CNN article and ask if anybody else was disgusted by it, don't know why I didn't post, maybe because we all don't like Trump anyway.

Also, cross-campaign drama happening on the democrat side:
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/clinton-campaign-mook-blasts-sanders-216958
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/democrats-data-breach-vulnerability-216955
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/sanders-campaign-threatens-to-sue-dnc-216942 (Url name is a bit old as they are suing)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:24:38 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: December 18, 2015, 08:34:05 pm »

Probably not as acrimonious as it seems.  The Sanders campaign is hardly suing out of spite, those records are the bread and butter of the campaign.  It's also understandable why the DNC freaked out, if the campaigns cant trust that record system it severely undermines democratic canvasing efforts.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: December 18, 2015, 08:44:41 pm »

Cross-campaign drama is still drama.

The other big problem is that they decided to rely on only one data provider, and now that one is screwed up.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/politics/bernie-sanders-democratic-national-committee-civil-war/index.html

Hm, if hypothetically, Sanders went independent along with Trump and Carson, how would the vote get split between those guys (plus or minus Carson, I don't see him making it) Clinton, and whoever is the Republican nominee? That would be an interesting and hotly contested race.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:56:26 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: December 18, 2015, 08:55:39 pm »

The other big problem is that they decided to rely on only one data provider

Because it would make sense to farm it out to a bunch of different contractors and then have a mutual blame fest every two years as you try and bring dozens of databases into agreement?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: December 18, 2015, 08:59:06 pm »

Seems like Sanders is being punished for something a few ambitious young dudes were doing.

Don't know how likely it is he'd be telling them to abuse a software error given he probably has better things to do than monitor his campaign team.

Quite harsh, in my opinion. Some guys steal some data, now you're not allowed access to a pretty important tool for campaign strategy? Perhaps he's right that the DNC are favouring Clinton a bit too much.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this fucks with whichever candidate the Dems choose, though. Can't keep your own house clean? Can't tell anyone else their house is dirty.

I think one of the more amusing aspects is neither campaign team has actually said anything about the company that committed the error in the first place...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: December 18, 2015, 09:02:04 pm »

The other big problem is that they decided to rely on only one data provider

Because it would make sense to farm it out to a bunch of different contractors and then have a mutual blame fest every two years as you try and bring dozens of databases into agreement?

I don't know if that's what the RNC does.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/politics/bernie-sanders-democratic-national-committee-civil-war/index.html (the URL might be hyping it up, but we'll see what happens)

Hm, if hypothetically, Sanders went independent along with Trump and Carson, how would the vote get split between those guys (plus or minus Carson, I don't see him making it) Clinton, and whoever is the Republican nominee? That would be an interesting and hotly contested race.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: December 18, 2015, 09:14:48 pm »

Fuckin Hill, she just never stops.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: December 18, 2015, 09:21:42 pm »

I think one of the more amusing aspects is neither campaign team has actually said anything about the company that committed the error in the first place...
Not true -- the Sanders camp is laying the blame squarely on the vendor. And apparently, this isn't the first time it's happened. Supposedly on the previous instances, they just told the vendor "Uh, hey...we're not supposed to be able to see that stuff" and left it to the vendor to fix. I'd be fucking pissed too -- vendor screwed up yet again, but you're the one who takes the hit for it??

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: December 18, 2015, 10:08:46 pm »

I'd be fucking pissed too -- vendor screwed up yet again, but you're the one who takes the hit for it??

Well gee...

Yeah, and the RNC system is a joke.  Remember when it crashed on election day three years ago?

Fuckin Hill, she just never stops.

Fascinating.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: December 18, 2015, 10:51:17 pm »

Yeah, and the RNC system is a joke.  Remember when it crashed on election day three years ago?

Had to refresh my memory on that, though I do remember a bunch of technical problems with voting systems and stuff. Anyways, that's the perfect example of needing to stress test BEFORE a event.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8399 on: December 18, 2015, 11:01:18 pm »

Oh wow I thought the goalposts were there in front of me and then all of a sudden they were behind me.  How did I get turned 180 degrees like that?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 1342