Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547032 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7770 on: December 11, 2015, 02:00:02 pm »

Trump is a cause for optimism, so rarely does such a clear and absolute fuckup manage to gain substantial support in the face of the establishment. The power of a sufficiently authoritative fuckup cannot be denied, we must harass this power.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: December 11, 2015, 02:00:39 pm »

ಠ_ಠ

:D

electing her is a clear step in the wrong direction and reinforces the already present trend towards oligarchy and tyranny.

"Oligarchy" apparently means the platform of:
-Make all large donations public
-Close the superPAC loophole that allows unlimited donations by the wealthy
-Increase matching donations for small donors

Or perhaps Oligarchy is her love fest for wall street:
-Make executives at investment banks personally liable for misconduct if the banks want to keep operating in the US financial system
-Tax on high-frequency trading
-End the investment bank loophole
-Tax too big to fail banks
-If congress stymies wall street reform, issue unilateral executive branch action to punish banks for exploiting too big to fail by creating new regulatory burdens

You could perhaps argue that she doesn't go far enough.  I would be somewhat sympathetic to that view when it comes to campaign finance reform.  But it's clearly not moving in the wrong direction.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: December 11, 2015, 02:05:47 pm »

Mainiac--

Her track record of wishy-washy politics is a strong indicator that her rhetoric is purely for election purposes, and that such reforms are very unlikely to be implemented under her administration.

Dont underestimate how deep the hentai tentacles of superPACs and bigtime lobbyist groups go. Dont underestimate the recalcitrant natures of senators and congressmen in the face of such reforms being threatened.

Even IF she were to aggressively campaign for, and fight for those changes, the others in government would work tirelessly to stonewall and prevent such changes, as those changes would upset thier ability to be career politicians.

Try not to fall victim to your own confirmation biases.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7773 on: December 11, 2015, 02:10:35 pm »

Let's not forget that in an actual election, the Republicans already have a strong narrative against her. They'll say that she's effectively an illegal third term for Bill. Everything they've ever said about Bill they'll turn against her.

It's pretty clear that 2016 will be a year if unvoting, where people vote against politicians they hate rather than for the ones they like. Personally, I'm looking forward to fistfights at polling places.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: December 11, 2015, 02:13:53 pm »

I don't really believe she's seriously going to try to do what she's saying either, but that's no reason to vote for Trump. There's every reason to vote for anyone but Trump.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: December 11, 2015, 02:14:45 pm »

WMUR (NH tv station) got booted from the democratic debate because a labor dispute was getting in the way, apparently.

Wouldn't be surprised if a question or two on labor unions worked their way into that debate.

Mainiac--

Her track record of wishy-washy politics is a strong indicator that her rhetoric is purely for election purposes, and that such reforms are very unlikely to be implemented under her administration.

Dont underestimate how deep the hentai tentacles of superPACs and bigtime lobbyist groups go. Dont underestimate the recalcitrant natures of senators and congressmen in the face of such reforms being threatened.

Even IF she were to aggressively campaign for, and fight for those changes, the others in government would work tirelessly to stonewall and prevent such changes, as those changes would upset thier ability to be career politicians.

Yep, it's pretty well known that she is up to her eyes in lobbyists.

Also, the Republicans already have reasons to stonewall her (among them 'because she's Hillary Clinton'), they don't really need new ones.

Let's not forget that in an actual election, the Republicans already have a strong narrative against her. They'll say that she's effectively an illegal third term for Bill. Everything they've ever said about Bill they'll turn against her.

It's pretty clear that 2016 will be a year if unvoting, where people vote against politicians they hate rather than for the ones they like. Personally, I'm looking forward to fistfights at polling places.

Given the number of people voting at once, theres bound to be a few scuffles and theres usually one or two every time.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.  nin-nin-nin-ninja

I don't really believe she's seriously going to try to do what she's saying either, but that's no reason to vote for Trump. There's every reason to vote for anyone but Trump.

There are people who are using 'theres every reason to vote for anyone but Hillary'. Trump might not even BE the nominee.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:18:03 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: December 11, 2015, 02:17:46 pm »

Hillary Clinton/Monica Lewinski slash fanfics when

We've already proven that this can't be fixed by voting for the politicians you like, so clearly the recourse is to vote for those you hate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: December 11, 2015, 02:18:20 pm »

A lovely non falsifiable statement.

Bernie Sanders track record of consistently supporting the democratic leadership in the senate is a strong indicator that his rhetoric is purely for election purposes, and that such reforms are very unlikely to be implemented under his administration.

Jill Steins track record of not holding office is a strong indicator that her rhetoric is purely for election purposes, and that such reforms are very unlikely to be implemented under her administration.

Karl Marx's track record of endorsing avowed capitalist politicians such as Abraham Lincoln is a strong indicator that his rhetoric was purely empty and that he didn't actually support any of the reforms he spoke of.

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: December 11, 2015, 02:22:43 pm »

I didnt ask you to double-down on confirmation biases, mainiac.

I asked you to be genuinely critical of them, and seriously consider other possibilities.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: December 11, 2015, 02:23:06 pm »

We've already proven that this can't be fixed by voting for the politicians you like, so clearly the recourse is to vote for those you hate.

Which would end up with Republicans voting for Hillary and ending up back at square one. I don't really want to vote for Hillary (for various reasons) and I don't want to vote for Trump, but third party candidates are essentially throwing away your vote in this climate.

Here's hoping Hillary has a brainfart and picks some horrible VP choice.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: December 11, 2015, 02:24:09 pm »

I didnt ask you to double-down on confirmation biases, mainiac.

I asked you to be genuinely critical of them, and seriously consider other possibilities.

He called and raised. You were expecting... what?  :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: December 11, 2015, 02:25:11 pm »

Feinstein?

Edit: Forums need a combine posts button. Was expecting someone else to have posted again already. :V

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: December 11, 2015, 02:27:06 pm »

Mainiac--

^^^^
THIS.

Even putting aside for the moment the fact that she's going to face a Congress still controlled by the Republican party (unless a Trump nomination unleashes an anti-GOP groundswell that sweeps away GOP control of Congress, which thanks to gerrymandering would be an even more astounding event than Trump getting nominated) and whom the GOP base will be shrieking to obstruct Clinton at every turn....

...she still doesn't have a lot of credibility or track record of pushing for policies of the kind you're listing. I could say right now that I am absolutely in favor of mandating the death penalty for anyone caught entering the US illegally, and I'd get votes for it. Doesn't mean I believe it, or that I'd actually do that if elected. (BTW, don't elect me. Ever.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: December 11, 2015, 02:29:07 pm »

Feinstein?

Edit: Forums need a combine posts button. Was expecting someone else to have posted again already. :V

Feinstein wouldn't be too bad of a choice I don't think. She was a bit of a loose cannon early on (or was that someone else? I forget.) but calmed down.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: December 11, 2015, 02:31:06 pm »

I know better than to trot out counter examples with mainiac. It turns into a shitstorm the rest of the board has to then scrub off the walls.

I am calling him out on the confirmation bias angle; he has not even so much as acknowledged that clinton is a human being,  and thus capable of human faults and failings, like the afore mentioned confirmation biases, when it comes to her administration.

He could counter with a non-argument, like "her and every other politician", but that does not explain why she is the better candidate in his opinion. When people challenge his personal views of clinton, he responds with handwaving. That is not the hallmark of intelligent debate, and I expect better of him. When counter-opposed factoids are exhibited, he waves it off as "irrelevent", rather than exploring the raised issue. That is not a hallmark of intelligent debate, and I expect better of him.

Basically, I am saying that I see that he is clearly an intelligent person, and it alarms me that he holds fast to confirmation biases, as I expect better of him.

Doubling down on the confirmation bias only makes me want to facepalm.

Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 1342