Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547014 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7755 on: December 11, 2015, 01:00:22 pm »

As much as I innately dislike debts, we're really not in any danger of defaulting except from silly congresscritters who refuse to acknowledge that the government can't simply go nanananana and refuse to raise the debt ceiling.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: December 11, 2015, 01:05:17 pm »

driving the county off off a cliff so we can hit rock bottom is almost as bad an idea as building boats with holes in them with a rising tide
really you guys have the worst ideas sometimes

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: December 11, 2015, 01:11:45 pm »

driving the county off off a cliff so we can hit rock bottom is almost as bad an idea as building boats with holes in them with a rising tide

this
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: December 11, 2015, 01:16:29 pm »

Guys....I dislike Hillary Rodham Clinton as much as the next guy, but seriously...we are not going to wind up as Mega-City One from electing her.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: December 11, 2015, 01:19:15 pm »

we'll just end up there no matter gets elected

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: December 11, 2015, 01:20:31 pm »

Meh, that's starting to sound like the "There's no difference between Gore and Bush" kind of garbage. There most definitely was.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: December 11, 2015, 01:22:22 pm »

SEEMS CREDIBLE</sarcasm>

The part about another Eurocrisis?  That seems pretty credible to me.  I'm only on the fence about that because I think it's possible (but by no means certain) that the Eurozone has hit rock bottom.  While Asian markets might undercut their trade balance, that will hit the parts of Europe that are near the natural unemployment rate the most.  And I expect that an appreciation of the dollar will more then offset given that the long awaited raise of the fed rate should be happening soon.

Meh, that's starting to sound like the "There's no difference between Gore and Bush" kind of garbage. There most definitely was.

Exactly, fall in line like a good soldier!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: December 11, 2015, 01:22:57 pm »

I for one wouldn't mind a Dreddful future. Stallone/Urban 2016

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: December 11, 2015, 01:23:45 pm »

SEEMS CREDIBLE</sarcasm>

The part about another Eurocrisis?  That seems pretty credible to me.  I'm only on the fence about that because I think it's possible (but by no means certain) that the Eurozone has hit rock bottom.  While Asian markets might undercut their trade balance, that will hit the parts of Europe that are near the natural unemployment rate the most.  And I expect that an appreciation of the dollar will more then offset given that the long awaited raise of the fed rate should be happening soon.
That it will start in Germany, the strongest economy in the entire EU.

Meh, that's starting to sound like the "There's no difference between Gush and Bore" kind of garbage. There most definitely was.
FTFY!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: December 11, 2015, 01:27:42 pm »

Guys....I dislike Hillary Rodham Clinton as much as the next guy, but seriously...we are not going to wind up as Mega-City One from electing her.
Damnation by degrees. For good or ill, the President is seen as a political barometer. Sure, odds are arbitrarily low that we end up worshipping at the altar of either Fuhrers Trump or Hillary, but electing her is a clear step in the wrong direction and reinforces the already present trend towards oligarchy and tyranny.

Trump is a cause for optimism, so rarely does such a clear and absolute fuckup manage to gain substantial support in the face of the establishment. The power of a sufficiently authoritative fuckup cannot be denied, we must harass this power.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: December 11, 2015, 01:30:56 pm »

Exactly, fall in line like a good soldier!
ಠ_ಠ
....you know what? Fuck it...TRUMP '16! We don't need no water, let the motherfucker burn!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: December 11, 2015, 01:33:28 pm »

Damnation by degrees. For good or ill, the President is seen as a political barometer. Sure, odds are arbitrarily low that we end up worshipping at the altar of either Fuhrers Trump or Hillary, but electing her is a clear step in the wrong direction and reinforces the already present trend towards oligarchy and tyranny.

Trump is a cause for optimism, so rarely does such a clear and absolute fuckup manage to gain substantial support in the face of the establishment. The power of a sufficiently authoritative fuckup cannot be denied, we must harass this power.

'We must harass this power'? lol

Typo aside, I get your point, though it would be nice if we didn't risk screwing up the country in the proccess.

I wonder if there are any examples of countries that went through similar sorts of transitions, aside from Hitler and Lenin, and Mao, and came out okay afterwards.

Actually, Hitler could be one example, though it took a bloody war and decades to recover from.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:36:57 pm by smjjames »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: December 11, 2015, 01:34:57 pm »

....you know what? Fuck it...TRUMP '16! We don't need no water, let the motherfucker burn!
if anything, the water would only interfere with the burning

i nominate myself for VP, pledging that i will use all my influence to push an aggressive energy plan that replaces all natural water sources in the united states with gasoline
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: December 11, 2015, 01:42:52 pm »

I dunno, I may still vote third party like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Stein .

Then again, Jill Stein's chances of winning are nonzero and statistically very unlikely.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:54:28 pm by smjjames »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: December 11, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »

Hey, as long as the cliff is high enough, the tide might rise enough while you're falling so as to cushion the fall. Something something gold standard
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 1342