Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545241 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7500 on: December 08, 2015, 08:17:19 pm »

The one named Boris Johnson http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35037007 , and does London seriously have two mayors or something?
The UK London.
We have the Lord Mayor and the Mayor, the Lord Mayor being mayor of the City of London and the Mayor being the mayor of London which is all of London around the City of London. The City of London and Westminster used to be two rival cities, but then they fused and just became one big London, but the City of London retained its rights in the Magna Carta (hence why the government is in Westminster, not the City of London). Oh yeah and 50 years ago the Westminster borough was awarded city status again, so London is technically 3 cities. Boris is Mayor of Greater London and is generally the more important one when it comes to politics, so his putdown is of greater significance. Boris is also known here for being absolutely hilarious.

That guys hair looks even more fake than Trumps hair.

The one named Boris Johnson http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35037007 , and does London seriously have two mayors or something?
The UK London.
We have the Lord Mayor and the Mayor, the Lord Mayor being mayor of the City of London and the Mayor being the mayor of London which is all of London around the City of London. The City of London and Westminster used to be two rival cities, but then they fused and just became one big London, but the City of London retained its rights in the Magna Carta (hence why the government is in Westminster, not the City of London). Oh yeah and 50 years ago the Westminster borough was awarded city status again, so London is technically 3 cities. Boris is Mayor of Greater London and is generally the more important one when it comes to politics, so his putdown is of greater significance. Boris is also known here for being absolutely hilarious.
I... I... What?  Why?

Complex history, go figure. Also, the Magna Carta is 800 years old, so, yeah.

We don't need a discussion of medieval British history in the AmeriPol thread anyway.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: December 08, 2015, 08:19:25 pm »

Well it's kind of tangentially relevant but that was more of a "Seriously?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7502 on: December 08, 2015, 08:23:22 pm »

To bring it back on rails, all the various Londons think Trump's full of shit basically

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: December 08, 2015, 08:25:46 pm »

I wish that his supporters thought he was.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: December 08, 2015, 08:48:02 pm »

Look at this guy! This Boris? What is that, a Russian name is mayor of London? Look at this guy! His hair is a joke! And that face! Look at that face. I'll tell you, frankly, I'd put a wall around that face.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7505 on: December 08, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »

The City of London's Roman walls are well-maintained so Boris Johnson cannot find his way in

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: December 08, 2015, 08:59:22 pm »

(Modified state farm jingle...)

Like a bad neighbor, D. Trump don't care!!
(I call it the "State Harm" jingle.)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: December 08, 2015, 09:05:01 pm »

Yes, it seems to be.
Thank [insert deity here] for that.
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: December 08, 2015, 09:08:34 pm »

Not in any legal sense, from what I've picked up so far. The explicit statement was that what he said violated the president's oath in both word and spirit (youdon'tsay.png), which... isn't enough to actually get you barred, so far as I'm aware. Also DT (several of the republican candidates, really, and probably some of the democratic ones, too) has been shitting all over that for a while now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: December 08, 2015, 09:14:18 pm »

Well, would it be a form of contract?
Sigtext

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: December 08, 2015, 09:16:19 pm »

It's not a legal thing, they're just saying (and they're not really wrong) that Trump is a shithead that isn't even remotely qualified to hold the position. They've been saying that for some time, in fact, they're just not being as quiet and diplomatic about it anymore. I suppose if he acted in that direction while he was already in office it could become a problem but that's a different question entirely.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: December 08, 2015, 09:21:26 pm »

Again,

"Like a bad neighbor, D. Trump don't care! (about oaths of office)"

Really, the State Harm jingle applies to him so very well, it really should be his theme music.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: December 08, 2015, 09:23:30 pm »

Well, would it be a form of contract?
Doubt it's a legally binding oath (i.e. a contract). Near as I can tell with some cursory googling, if nothing else a violation of the presidential oath has not actually ever been attempted to be persecuted. Not entirely sure of that, but it follows fairly well. Most oaths of office and similar such things aren't. There may be paperwork or duty descriptions or whatnot that does constitute a contract, but the oaths themselves are often just frippery, insofar as the legal aspect is concerned.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: December 08, 2015, 09:27:37 pm »

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation: — "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

It's reasonable to interpret that to mean that a clear violation of the oath of office would likely be grounds for impeachment, though; it's a constitutional requirement that the president take the oath with the implication that they adhere to it in good faith. A president acting unconstitutionally would indicate that they didn't take the oath in good faith and are thus ineligible to hold the office.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 1342