Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544850 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7485 on: December 08, 2015, 04:25:17 pm »

Trump wants to shut down the internet. By asking Bill Gates to do it.

“We’re losing a lot of people because of the Internet. We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what’s happening. We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that Internet up in some way.”

Either he doesn't get how internet works, or he wants stronger internet surveillance/censorship. Or both.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #7486 on: December 08, 2015, 04:26:51 pm »

Okay, as a Britain looking at you lot over the pond and wondering "What the fwaa?", apparently Donald Trump claims that some parts of London are so 'radicalised' police 'are afraid for their lives'. Source

On the bright side, we go a wonderful piece of snark from Boris out of it:
"Any candidate for the presidential election in the United States of America is welcome to receive a briefing from the Met Police on the reality of policing London."

Also it's terrifyingly hilarious that an American politician is *mocking the very idea of freedom of speech*. The man is a parody of politicians that seems to have crossed Poe's Law and into reality.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:32:01 pm by MorleyDev »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: December 08, 2015, 04:27:18 pm »

Trump's Plan: Enegerize the idiot voter in order to get them in the polling place. He knows that he can't possibly win, but he can shift the electorate so that republicans in general win big in the congress.

Nah. If he does become the nominee...

All of this has happened before.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: December 08, 2015, 04:41:38 pm »

The mayor of London:
"Crime has been falling steadily both in London and in New York - the only reason I wouldn't go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump," he added.
Burn.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: December 08, 2015, 05:05:39 pm »

It's nice to think that, just as with Goldwater, an anti-Trump backlash could sweep the GOP out of control of Congress and out of many state houses. Hell, I'll send him a thank-you card if that happens.

EDIT: The scary thing is, Goldwater would be a RINO by today's standards. He was pro-choice, pro-LGBT, pro-integration, pro-environment, and hated the religious right.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:18:50 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: December 08, 2015, 05:08:27 pm »

god dammit congress what is wrong with you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L11Bxolo44

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: December 08, 2015, 05:48:22 pm »

god dammit congress what is wrong with you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L11Bxolo44
I'm pretty sure it's not all of Congress that needs a kick in the jimmies on this one. As usual, there's a big red (R) next to the guilty.

S.928 has 43 Democratic co-sponsors (along with the bill's Democratic sponsor, Kirsten Gillibrand, D-NY). It just so happens that there are 44 Dems in the Senate. So that covers all of them. Bernie Sanders and Angus King are on board, as are  21 of the Senate's 54 Republicans, including Lindsey Graham and Marco Rubio, along with not-crazy Republicans like Jeff Flake, John McCain, Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski. (even if a number of them signed on only after Stewart's shaming expedition in September).

It's stuck in the Senate's Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee and has been since it was introduced in April 2015. So if he wants to shame the fuck out of some people, that's where to start. I'll note that NC's elder statesman-for-sale Richard Burr is on that committee, and is not a cosponsor. In fact, of the committee's 12 Republican members, only 3 have signed on: Collins, Murkowski, and Mark Kirk (R-IL). Who they really ought to hammer is Lamar Alexander (R-TN). As committee chair, he's the one with the power to move this thing through.

EDIT: Apparently, we didn't even see the most egregious behaviors:
In the office of Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho), where the responders had been unable to arrange an appointment, they were greeted by an angry staffer who expressed irritation that they asked for five minutes to make a case.

Risch's office said the staffer was not the person who ordinarily deals with such issues, because many of the office personnel were back in Idaho. Still, the staffer ended up giving the responders half an hour, even if the talk grew heated at times. A spokeswoman for Risch, Suzanne Wrasse, said that the men were treated courteously, and that their words were heard.

"The staff on the issue will most definitely get all of the information on the meeting and will give it the due consideration," Wrasse said.
Risch, it should be noted, co-sponsored the bill for one day back in June, before withdrawing support the next day. Probably so he could factually claim he had sponsored the bill.

EDIT#2: Trump is murmuring again about making a run as an independent.

Sounds to me like "If the whole party keeps saying I'm wrong, I'm taking my ball of fucked-up voters and going home rogue and you guys will lose in November."

To which I say.....DO EEEEEET!!!!! Make Trump Great Again! Unfurl the banner of the Trumpocracy of Trump and let Trump ring from Trump to shining Trump!
Split parties are the best parties.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:02:01 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: December 08, 2015, 06:14:01 pm »

Have I mentioned that I detest homophobics? Because I do. Oh, boy oh boy oh boy.

That was six months ago, and how do you think the slang 'santorum' came about?, which IS derived from him.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/ben-carson-iowa-ads-216568 I guess this counts as a campaign shakeup if it's major enough for journalists to take notice. Maybe it is just the campaign doing a major rebooking and reallocation of the ad time as the campaign aide said, or maybe it's a potential sign of collapse.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:17:36 pm by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7493 on: December 08, 2015, 06:15:12 pm »

The mayor of London:
"Crime has been falling steadily both in London and in New York - the only reason I wouldn't go to some parts of New York is the real risk of meeting Donald Trump," he added.
Burn.
Which mayor of which London
Also he's forgotten our crime just went digital for 1337 p0lish bankphising

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: December 08, 2015, 06:23:45 pm »

The UK London.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: December 08, 2015, 06:26:33 pm »

The mayor of London:
Burn.
Which mayor of which London
Also he's forgotten our crime just went digital for 1337 p0lish bankphising

The one named Boris Johnson http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35037007 , and does London seriously have two mayors or something?

Okay, as a Britain looking at you lot over the pond and wondering "What the fwaa?", apparently Donald Trump claims that some parts of London are so 'radicalised' police 'are afraid for their lives'. Source

On the bright side, we go a wonderful piece of snark from Boris out of it:
"Any candidate for the presidential election in the United States of America is welcome to receive a briefing from the Met Police on the reality of policing London."

Also it's terrifyingly hilarious that an American politician is *mocking the very idea of freedom of speech*. The man is a parody of politicians that seems to have crossed Poe's Law and into reality.

He's only a 'politician' by virtue of running for President, he's never held elected office (not even town council) and working with politicians does not make one a politician.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: December 08, 2015, 06:38:16 pm »

and does London seriously have two mayors or something?

There's something like 30 towns and cities in the world named "London", including quite a good-sized one in Ontario. This is why they asked "Which London".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #7497 on: December 08, 2015, 06:54:56 pm »

The one named Boris Johnson http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35037007 , and does London seriously have two mayors or something?

Sort-of, actually. There's the City of London which is a tiny inner city inside Greater London, and has a different Mayor and stuff because of historical reasons. Nowadays that whole area is like 99% office blocks and businesses, and the Mayor position is largely viewed as symbolic as a result. Boris Johnson is the Mayor of London, but not the City of London. And then you have the London Assembly and all those boroughs and it's a very deep rabbit hole.

He's only a 'politician' by virtue of running for President, he's never held elected office (not even town council) and working with politicians does not make one a politician.

define: Politician. "a person who is professionally involved in politics, especially as a holder of an elected office.", so it doesn't require elected office, but it helps :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 06:57:49 pm by MorleyDev »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7498 on: December 08, 2015, 08:01:29 pm »

The UK London.
We have the Lord Mayor and the Mayor, the Lord Mayor being mayor of the City of London and the Mayor being the mayor of London which is all of London around the City of London. The City of London and Westminster used to be two rival cities, but then they fused and just became one big London, but the City of London retained its rights in the Magna Carta (hence why the government is in Westminster, not the City of London). Oh yeah and 50 years ago the Westminster borough was awarded city status again, so London is technically 3 cities. Boris is Mayor of Greater London and is generally the more important one when it comes to politics, so his putdown is of greater significance. Boris is also known here for being absolutely hilarious.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: December 08, 2015, 08:03:33 pm »

The UK London.
We have the Lord Mayor and the Mayor, the Lord Mayor being mayor of the City of London and the Mayor being the mayor of London which is all of London around the City of London. The City of London and Westminster used to be two rival cities, but then they fused and just became one big London, but the City of London retained its rights in the Magna Carta (hence why the government is in Westminster, not the City of London). Oh yeah and 50 years ago the Westminster borough was awarded city status again, so London is technically 3 cities. Boris is Mayor of Greater London and is generally the more important one when it comes to politics, so his putdown is of greater significance. Boris is also known here for being absolutely hilarious.
I... I... What?  Why?
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 1342