Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545204 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7305 on: December 03, 2015, 03:47:18 pm »

Jesus christ.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: December 03, 2015, 04:15:24 pm »

Obviously we put a black mark on the 'bad' cops.  They are forever blocked from advancing their career in any police system.  They are free to find another job.  'Good' cops  don't get that black mark and can be rehired to better positions.

Basically, fire everyone and rehire em as you see fit.  Not as bad as firing everyone and only hiring new blood...
How do you tell the difference between the bad cops and good cops?  We already have that now in theory - bad cops are supposed to be fired, while good cops stay.  The whole point of the blue line, though, is that all too often, neither side is willing to point out which one of them are good or bad, outside of exceptional circumstances like this.  Internal Affairs is considered the "enemy" and not to be trusted by "actual" officers. 

That said, if I recall properly (and my memory is a bit fuzzy), there are cases where this has worked on a local level - once or twice, entire police departments have been fired and replaced from other departments around the state, people who will set a good example for the newbies.  My problem is with it being applied as a nationwide solution, because there are no "other departments" to provide a seed stock to rebuild along proper lines in that case. 

Well, don't get rid of all of them. Just all the ones that can't bring up actionable dirt on other parts of the legal system :V
Ummm, I'm seeing a bit of a perverse incentive here.  "Either you give us a crooked cop or you get sacked."  It seems like a wonderful way to give them a vested interest in ratting out corruption, whether it exists or not.

What if we got some of those Ba'ath types who are out of a country to run? And out of the country they were out of the country too
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: December 03, 2015, 06:41:38 pm »

Lol, republicans are raising alarm about women in combat because...... get this... it could force all young women into the draft.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/pentagon-women-in-combat-republican-reaction-216412

Also, if they don't feel pressure to do gun control with recent events, how far and how bad does the problem have to get before they feel pressure? :P http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/gop-unmoved-on-gun-control-as-massacres-pile-up-216407

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: December 03, 2015, 09:19:26 pm »

Didn't they just shoot down a bill to ban gun sales to people on terror watch lists or something?

I really wish I remember where I heard that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: December 03, 2015, 09:22:24 pm »

Maybe they think it would tip them off to the fact that they're being watched and force them to act immediately.

Or they don't want to give gun shop owners and whatever other random people might be selling guns access to the terror watch lists.

Or they don't want to do it because it would require that they institute background checks for everybody to enforce it.

Or they don't want to do it because it would require that everyone register their guns.

Or they don't want to do it because they would know that they'd get a background check and opt to get an illegal gun instead, which the feds would have no way of knowing about unless they were watching them most of the time, which they probably aren't.

In fact I have strong doubts that the democrats expected the bill to actually pass, and it was really just a way to make people look bad.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:28:40 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: December 03, 2015, 09:44:24 pm »

The stated reason is that there's no due process in that list.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: December 03, 2015, 09:48:11 pm »

Them thinking they got tipped off is certainly a legit concern though.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: December 03, 2015, 10:07:25 pm »

Given what is known about the level of standards and track record with terrorist watch lists, I would be against any reduction in rights being tied to them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »

Given what is known about the level of standards and track record with terrorist watch lists, I would be against any reduction in rights being tied to them.
For instance, they had Nelson Mandela on a watchlist.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: December 03, 2015, 10:13:44 pm »

There's something morbidly hilarious about conservative opposition to something on those grounds, of all grounds.

Maybe it's a good sign, though! Perhaps I can use it to fool myself into thinking the political apparatus is becoming less inclined to shit upon the 5th & 14th from on high. It'd be a nice daydream...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: December 03, 2015, 10:53:00 pm »

I think that's probably the best possible reason for that.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: December 03, 2015, 11:23:28 pm »

Okay, that makes more sense.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7317 on: December 03, 2015, 11:35:24 pm »

For instance, they had Nelson Mandela on a watchlist.
His lads were a bit too fond of necklacing to not warrant eyes

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: December 04, 2015, 06:36:47 am »

Nah, everyone knows that Nelson Mandela is pure and saintly and perfect.

But yeah, for the standard of narrow restrictions on a fundamental right, the terror watch lists, such as they are, are about equal to "if you have a six in your social security number, no guns for you"
Even the avatars expire eventually.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: December 04, 2015, 10:40:26 am »

Hey, look, Congress accomplished something.

...back to your regularly scheduled gridlock...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 1342