Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545005 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7290 on: December 03, 2015, 12:38:06 pm »

Why does Trump think he can bribe/extort CNN? :P

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/cnn-rejects-trump-debate-demands-216388

If he doesn't appear at the debate, then it's his loss.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: December 03, 2015, 12:56:53 pm »

This should not be taken as either a threat or an attempt to incite lawless action.

Rope.
Huh, I was thinking something along similar lines...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: December 03, 2015, 01:01:22 pm »

Why does Trump think he can bribe/extort CNN? :P

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/cnn-rejects-trump-debate-demands-216388

If he doesn't appear at the debate, then it's his loss.

I think the lesson here is the Trump finds these debates unpleasant to endure.  Like sure he's a publicity seeking narcissist but that doesn't mean he wants to put up with being on that debate stage with those people.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: December 03, 2015, 01:01:51 pm »

I'd understand completely if people who abuse the power, authority, and trust that the people give them were to end up near street lights and near the ground.

Not like it's going to happen, the blue line is the fucking blue line. And the white collar line backs that up nicely. Cops don't prosecute cops and people in the legal system are largely proof against it.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: December 03, 2015, 01:05:26 pm »

This story broke because cops went above the head of their corrupt supervisors to contact the federal authorities.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: December 03, 2015, 01:29:30 pm »

This story broke because cops went above the head of their corrupt supervisors to contact the federal authorities.
Good people that got fired/marginalized within the police system over the years.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: December 03, 2015, 01:32:09 pm »

Well we dont know because they are anonymous right now.  We only know the identity of the perpetrators.

The facts themselves are disturbing enough without needing to invent new ones.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: December 03, 2015, 01:38:12 pm »

It seems like we need to uproot all of our law enforcement departments and shake them out with an earthquake of 1011 on the richter scale in order to deal with the deeply rooted corruption and problems.

I know that's not a realistic solution neccesarily, but still.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: December 03, 2015, 02:49:06 pm »

It's also one that would destroy good officers as well and result in entire departments filled with nothing but rookies with none of the contacts, experience, or knowledge of the streets.  Hence, I would consider a slash-and-burn approach a tactic of absolute last resort, and certainly not one that we need for all of our law enforcement departments in the entire nation yet. 

That said, it does remind a bit of the brilliant plan to de-Ba'athify Iraq by jettisoning all Ba'ath party members from office in 2003. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:51:13 pm by Culise »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: December 03, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »

Obviously we put a black mark on the 'bad' cops.  They are forever blocked from advancing their career in any police system.  They are free to find another job.  'Good' cops  don't get that black mark and can be rehired to better positions.

Basically, fire everyone and rehire em as you see fit.  Not as bad as firing everyone and only hiring new blood...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: December 03, 2015, 02:57:24 pm »

Yep, but I'm much cooler with Ba'athi Iraq than I am with Ba'athi Anytown USA.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: December 03, 2015, 03:01:50 pm »

Well, don't get rid of all of them. Just all the ones that can't bring up actionable dirt on other parts of the legal system :V

And don't end up with actionable dirt against them, of course. Overlap would be acceptable, but be sure to prevent collaboration as much as possible.

May not be speaking entirely seriously, but given one of the single largest problems is that many times "good" officers shove themselves up the arse of bad ones and go to roost, it could be a way to actually identify the ones that are willing to keep an eye on the internal systems.

And yeah, nenj, from what I recall the parrish folks are decently thought of around here. Didn't exactly know the guy well or anything, though. Just've met 'em in person before. I pretty sincerely doubt the situation in question is going to change that local appreciation, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: December 03, 2015, 03:07:55 pm »

Obviously we put a black mark on the 'bad' cops.  They are forever blocked from advancing their career in any police system.  They are free to find another job.  'Good' cops  don't get that black mark and can be rehired to better positions.

Basically, fire everyone and rehire em as you see fit.  Not as bad as firing everyone and only hiring new blood...
How do you tell the difference between the bad cops and good cops?  We already have that now in theory - bad cops are supposed to be fired, while good cops stay.  The whole point of the blue line, though, is that all too often, neither side is willing to point out which one of them are good or bad, outside of exceptional circumstances like this.  Internal Affairs is considered the "enemy" and not to be trusted by "actual" officers. 

That said, if I recall properly (and my memory is a bit fuzzy), there are cases where this has worked on a local level - once or twice, entire police departments have been fired and replaced from other departments around the state, people who will set a good example for the newbies.  My problem is with it being applied as a nationwide solution, because there are no "other departments" to provide a seed stock to rebuild along proper lines in that case. 

Well, don't get rid of all of them. Just all the ones that can't bring up actionable dirt on other parts of the legal system :V
Ummm, I'm seeing a bit of a perverse incentive here.  "Either you give us a crooked cop or you get sacked."  It seems like a wonderful way to give them a vested interest in ratting out corruption, whether it exists or not. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:09:55 pm by Culise »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: December 03, 2015, 03:13:56 pm »

So apparently a bunch of racist fucks ruined 1000 lives:
http://henrycountyreport.com/blog/2015/12/01/leaked-documents-reveal-dothan-police-department-planted-drugs-on-young-black-men-for-years-district-attorney-doug-valeska-complicit/

The sheer scope is mind boggling.

This doesn't seem to be loading. Must've ended up on social media or something. :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: December 03, 2015, 03:34:45 pm »

So apparently a bunch of racist fucks ruined 1000 lives:
http://henrycountyreport.com/blog/2015/12/01/leaked-documents-reveal-dothan-police-department-planted-drugs-on-young-black-men-for-years-district-attorney-doug-valeska-complicit/

The sheer scope is mind boggling.

This doesn't seem to be loading. Must've ended up on social media or something. :V
Basically, thousands of innocent blacks got hit by a police department that was planting drugs on them to secure convictions.  Worse, an IntAff investigation into the matter was suppressed by the District Attorney, and without any black marks, some of these people were subsequently promoted to positions that include police chief of the department and Assistant Director for Homeland Security for the entire state.  That doesn't cover the half of it, though.  Here's the text, less the embedded documents:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, some of the evidence is a bit odd (polygraphs in this day and age? There's a darned good reason some states have banned polygraph tests as trial evidence), but some of the others, if true, are rather damning.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:38:11 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 1342